PDA

View Full Version : Rooftop chase at start of chapter 3 (possible spoilers)

joergino
11-13-2006, 04:42 PM
I am badly stuck at the start of chapter 3. I need to follow the ghoul across the rooftops but it's "mission failed" all of the time and after many attempts for several hours yesterday I'm feeling like giving up now. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
The gamespot guide isn't very detailed, but from what I read there it seems that I haven't reached the "large wooden construct". I'm stuck at the point where I have to jump the second chain to proceed. Even if I actually catch the chain and climb up (no idea how far I'm supposed to go up), I always get the "mission failed" message because the ghoul got away. Is there something obvious that I'm missing? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif
Apart from playing a downloaded savegame, is there any way to skip "jump and run" sections like this one?

Blackheart-
11-13-2006, 05:20 PM
noclip?<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

"I am the angel of death, the time of purification is at hand." *Loads shotgun*

You see beauty I see pain, you see sky and I see acid rain.

damestriker
11-13-2006, 07:30 PM
just try to run through it a couple times to get to know the route, then reload the whole chapter and try it out, with your experience of the route, because a delay of 10 seconds or more at each stop will cause you to run out of time and lose.

Entiri
11-14-2006, 08:04 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif I am having the same problem and
am getting a little tired of hearing are you
afraid of heights, Have tried for a couple of hours and still lose the ghoul.

DarkFenix2k6
11-15-2006, 04:31 AM
Just play through it the first time to learn the route. It really really isn't difficult, there's only one path.

Second time through you should have no difficulty whatsoever. In fact, second time round I was at the end of the level, then I waited. And waited. And waited. And waited. Then the ghoul showed up.

joergino
11-15-2006, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the replies. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif I considered restarting because obviously I must have lost too much time up to that point. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

What does 'noclip' do? Does it prevent one from falling down? I'll give it a try.

Oh well, I guess now I know for sure that I really should stay away from shooter games. That jump and run nonsense destroys any semblance of fun. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Kelteel
11-15-2006, 06:33 PM
<span class="ev_code_RED">***SPOILER ALERT***</span>

Hi,

I agree that the chasing the ghoul over the rooftops was a major pain and took away from the game early on. The time limits were set way to short. Consider the facts that you have no clue as to the route<restart>, missing a couple of major jumps<restart>, which window and possible problems getting through the window<restart>, falling off of slippery roofs <restart> and now you have finally reached the rickety planking. The restarts there were to numerous to count with the 'you have failed your mission'.

I don't accept that because the real mission was to try to catch the ghoul when you knew that you were not supposed to catch him. You were meant to follow the ghoul to the next act and find the necro's lair. The chase could have been fun and still forced you restart several times without being absurd at this early of a point in the game.

I made it and the way I did it saved me a few precious seconds that I needed for the last run and climb. I quick saved at the rickety platform finally as that was the where I always ran out of time. I knew the angle that I had to leave the platform to land on the solid plankway and avoid the first fall. I took two attempts before I landed running on that platform but I saved those precious seconds and ran across the final plank walkway before the jumps up the stone blocks. I took three attempts here because I was not hitting the jump key hard enough and on the third try I made it. I lucked out on top by turning left and seeing the icon of what I was chasing. I ran and jumped immediately quick saving when I landed on the grass just before I found the chase ending stone entrance.

The main thing is the angle you take off of the first platform before you hit the section that breaks under you. Do it right and you end up landing solidly and still moving forward.

I hope this helps anyone who is having difficulty at this point in the game. I also used the console to execute a save game command as the quicksave doesn't tell you anything about what you are attempting. Bring up the console as this pauses the game and type without the quotes "save platformjumps" and hit enter or click on submit....then get your butt in gear as you are still on the clock.

I now use the console to save and load my games unless I need to load at a quicksave or autosave point.

<span class="ev_code_RED">Kel</span>

Sir_Random
11-16-2006, 05:30 AM
I can't believe some people are having trouble with this part, my only problem was knowing which way to go near the end, on my first attempt. Are you guys not using the 'sprint' key or something?
I was right on the ghoul's tail for most of the chase, I was even beside him at the skylight where we drop into a room (where scripted boxes and stuff fall over to block your path), and I had to wait for the ghoul to trigger the falling stuff (there seems to be an invisible wall blocking you from passing before that cut-scene plays).
Maybe I just got lucky, but I just kept running and sprint-jumping, and I had no problem keeping up. I got confused about which way to go near the end, and tried going down a rope/chain to the courtyard, but on my second attempt I went the right way and completed the task.

uYuohZ
11-16-2006, 07:13 AM
Apart from getting stuck once (the bit where everyone get's stuck, where the ghoul runs up the wall and you have to go left and through the window) I found this mission to be pretty easy and actually quite a lot of fun, as well as being one of the more interesting/unique levels on offer.

DarkFenix2k6
11-16-2006, 08:10 AM
People just need to take Xana's advice. Don't hesitate. If there isn't an obvious way to follow the ghoul, sprint off in the next best direction. If there's a seemingly long jump or a hanging chain, just take a running jump at it. Don't just stand still looking confused like an idiot.

If you CAN go that way, you're probably MEANT to go that way. It is a LINEAR level, there is ONE route. There isn't a single difficult jump. Yes I've made stupid mistakes and mistimed jumps, but rarely, and I've certainly never got lost.