PDA

View Full Version : Chaintech Fx5950 Ultra

XyZspineZyX
12-04-2003, 11:24 PM
I just upgraded from an albatron Ti 4680 Turbo to a Chaintech Geforce FX 5950 Ultra today and when i went to play ravenshield with everything maxed out i was disappointed. I played with my old card at 1280x1024 with everything high quality at around 30 to 40 fps generally. i installed my new card in expecting to be able to run at 1600x1200 with 60+ fps.... didn't happen. I had like 22 fps when i was looking to the middle of the level and around 50 fps everywhere else. i would expect this card to blow this game away but it isn't this is about what my old card could pull off when i maxed everything out... i have the newest drivers. i tried the driver on the cd (52.14?) and it still behaved like this. i haven't messed around with some of the settings much but i would certainly like to know what is going on. i spent almost $420 on this card and it can't even play ravenshield with max detail!please help me... ill try to post some benchmarks to see if its the card or ravenshield.

XyZspineZyX
12-04-2003, 11:24 PM
I just upgraded from an albatron Ti 4680 Turbo to a Chaintech Geforce FX 5950 Ultra today and when i went to play ravenshield with everything maxed out i was disappointed. I played with my old card at 1280x1024 with everything high quality at around 30 to 40 fps generally. i installed my new card in expecting to be able to run at 1600x1200 with 60+ fps.... didn't happen. I had like 22 fps when i was looking to the middle of the level and around 50 fps everywhere else. i would expect this card to blow this game away but it isn't this is about what my old card could pull off when i maxed everything out... i have the newest drivers. i tried the driver on the cd (52.14?) and it still behaved like this. i haven't messed around with some of the settings much but i would certainly like to know what is going on. i spent almost $420 on this card and it can't even play ravenshield with max detail!please help me... ill try to post some benchmarks to see if its the card or ravenshield.

XyZspineZyX
12-05-2003, 01:13 AM
Sorry, forget my specs:
Pentium 4 2.5 Ghz
Gigabye 8IHXP mobo
Chaintech FX5950 Ultra
768 MB RDRAM (800Mhz)
Direct X 9
Detonator 53.03 (Evga driver... said it works with all Geforce cards)

When i checked my clock frequencies in 3dmark 2003 it said core was 300 mhz... thats 2d settings so i changed it to 3d which is 475 mhz. also another problem i encountered was after i checked riva tuner to try to clock the card to its 3d settings my textures in rvs got all messed up. i could see no textures whatsoever except for guns, glass, and lights. i'm going to reinstall rvs right now. pretty weird huh?

XyZspineZyX
12-05-2003, 02:06 AM
means you overclocked it to much. bring it back down or ur screwed

http://webpages.charter.net/wavweb/sig6.gif

Fun with Flash /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
12-05-2003, 02:16 AM
I didn't over clock at all i put the settings from 2d mode to 3d mode.... default settings for 3d are 475 core 950 memory!!!! does this mean my card is defective?

XyZspineZyX
12-05-2003, 02:19 AM
i think it was just the driver that screwed up the textures, i dled nvidia's last released driver back in october and it looks fine... it just doesn't run all that great (30-40 fps avg)

XyZspineZyX
12-05-2003, 04:31 AM
The reason you saw no textures is because fog table emulation was disabled. when you reinstalled the driver it probably reset this to default and enabled it.

Most people get poor fps as a result of the Dare audio system hogging resources for your sound card. This means the graphics card is good but you probably are using onboard sound im guessing. If this is true go out and buy a mid range sound card like a turtle beach santa cruz or an audigy gamer or something. before you do this check my theory by setting your sound options to low, no virtualization, and no 3d sound or eax.

Also if you find that was not the problem this game runs well on some crappy competers and crappy on some supercomputers. 30-40 fps is good for this game, but when it didnt go up much when u upgraded your vid card you gotta suspect the bottleneck is elsewhere in the system.

Do you have the latest chipset drivers installed, If not your agp slot could be running in pci mode or at agp 2x or something, If your mobo supports agp 8x which i think it does, you want to make sure it is running at this speed. You can check this in rivatuner.

XyZspineZyX
12-07-2003, 05:56 PM
Wow i do remember messing around with fog table emulation... You're sharp http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I do have a Santa Cruz Sound Card, but i also have all of my sound settings to highest quality with EAX and whatnot.

Where would i be able to upgrade the chipset drivers because this is something i never even thought of.

How would i change my AGP up to 8x because it looks like it says 4x in rivatuner but its greyed out so i cant change it. my motherboard does support 8x btw. Its a gigabyte 8IHXP.

So basically what your saying is if its not the audio or the agp 8x or chipset its some kind of bottleneck somewhere? I have rambus (800 mhz) ram and a 2.4 ghz processor so i don't really think its one of those so i'm leaning towards the AGP settings.

thanks man that helped a lot to understand the problem better

XyZspineZyX
12-07-2003, 07:08 PM
The Gigabyte 8IHXP only has a 4x AGP slot.

<center>http://members.cox.net/atlantisr0x/atlantis.jpg </center>

UBI, RELEASE THE SDK!!!

-Atlantis

XyZspineZyX
12-07-2003, 09:18 PM
damn... would that make much of of a difference? my friend says it wouldn't make much of a difference

XyZspineZyX
12-08-2003, 09:39 PM
you upgrade your chipset drivers by dl'ing them from the manufacturer's website. You definitely need a better sound card. Try disabling EAX and running it, see what you get.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid80/p1e620cd395c91d7e43083a19a0db6a20/fb058cbe.jpg

|OWNT|

XyZspineZyX
12-13-2003, 12:54 AM
well im not sure if it was the drivers or not but im gettin an avg of 50+ fps on max detail at 1600x1200 which is quite nice.... i guess i just had to break it in or something http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif i did upgrade the chipset as well. supposedly nvidia is going to be talking with game makers to optimize their games to work with both ati and nvidia so there will be no games that work better with one card than the other... hopefully. i'm overclocked nicely to 502 core and 1 ghz memory. NICE JOB NVIDIA! Americas army runs flawlessly at 1280x960 at max detail, not even a hiccup or anything while i was doing the second special forces