PDA

View Full Version : Unofficial PC error/crash/bug fixes guide - sticky please?

Tfrogs1
04-04-2005, 01:22 AM
I just thought I'd make a thread which outlines the various problems and their fixes for SCCT. If anybody has any other problems or fixes, please post them, and I'll add them to the list.
Note: so far this is only for Singleplayer, but if anybody has fixes to coop problems, I will add them too.

"Splintercell3.exe has encountered an error and needs to close. We are sorry for any inconvenience."
The problem: When starting SCCT, this error message will appear, and the game will crash.
The fix:
-In most cases, people with this error are running programs that alter the windows gui/skins/themes. These programs include AlienGuise, WindowBlinds, and ATI Themes. Uninstall these programs completely, and try to play the game again.
If it doesn't work, you may want to download some sort of free registry cleaner (Registry Repair Pro (http://www.3bsoftware.com/downloads/registryrepair.html) is a good one). With the registry cleaner, scan your registry to make sure any registry keys left over by the programs are removed.
- If the above fix doesn't work, right-click on the .exe file, go to Properties > Compatibility > Run This Program In Compatibility Mode For > Windows 2000.

A virus was found during the installation of SCCT
The problem: When trying to install SCCT, you get a message that says a virus has been found that cannot be cleaned. Whether this stops the installation, I don't know.
The fix: This was posted by quillan in another thread. Quillan, if you don't want me to quote you, please tell me and I'll take it off.
"Uninstall Chaos Theory completely. Reboot your computer. Turn your antivirus program off. Reinstall Chaos Theory. Problem should be solved. W95.puron@mm is an obsolete virus originally written to take advantage of a Windows 95 vulnerability. Most antivirus companies don't even have any details on it anymore, but a google search showed me a similar problem with another game. Always turn your antivirus off when installing a game. It's detecting something in this game falsely as a virus, quite possibly the interactive advertising feature in CT."

"The following error occured on the file '-------'. Access is denied.
The problem: When trying to install SCCT, you get a message that says that an error occured because the access is denied.
The fix: I'm guessing that this is a problem that may happen depending on which user account you are on. Your computer account must have administrative rights enabled, so that you can install files. This may not fix it, but it's worth a shot.

Computer restarts during game
The problem: While playing SCCT, your computer will suddenly restart for apparently no reason.
The fix:
- Make sure you are not overclocking anything in your system.
- Make sure you have a good enough PSU (Power Supply)
- Make sure you have not fiddled with the Virtual Memory settings. If you have, or don't know, right-click on My Computer, go to Properties > Advanced > Performance - Settings > Advanced > Virtual Memory - Change > Select "System Managed Size" > Click "Set" > Press OK

Lag during coop LAN
The problem: When playing coop on LAN, it is very laggy.
The fix: Go to Start > Control Panel > Network Connections (Classic View) > Right-click on "Local Area Connection" or similar (should be under "LAN or High-Speed Internet" > Properties > Configure > Advanced > Link Speed/Duplex Mode > Value: 100Mbps/Half Duplex. This fix has been posted many times by GhostKiLLa_17. Remember, it only works for coop, and you should make sure that the person you are playing with has also set it on 100Mbps/Half Duplex.

CD Key Errors
The problem: When verifying the CD Key, it may crash or produce an error.
The fix:
- Make sure your DVD Drive is at least 4x speed. That is the minimum requirement.
- Make sure you are entering the correct CD key; there are two. The installation CD key is inside the case, and the multiplayer CD key is on the back of the manual. Enter the FIRST LINE ONLY of the installation CD key (the one inside the case).
- Make sure that, when you're entering the CD key, you don't get some of the digits mixed up - 8's look like B's, I's look like 1's, etc. Write out the different combinations, and try each.
- I think you have to enter the dashes in the CD key. I may be wrong though - try it both with the dashes and without.
- Make sure you don't have any virtual drive programs installed, such as Daemon Tools or Alcohol 120%. If you do have these programs, uninstall them.

Graphical problems
The problems: May range from "artifacts", strange colours, seeing through walls, etc.
The fix:
- Make sure you have the latest drivers for your video card. These can be downloaded here:
Nvidia Forcware 71.84 Drivers (http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_71.84.html)
ATI Catalyst 5.3 Drivers (https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=27)
- If you are having problems with the latest drivers, try rolling back to older driver sets, and see if it makes a difference.
- Make sure you are not overclocking your video card.

Nothing happens after CD is checked
The problems: After the CD Checking has finished, nothing happens - the game does not launch.
The fix:
- In most cases, this is caused by antivirus programs interpreting splintercell3.exe as a threat, and blocking it. If there's an exception list in your antivirus program(s), add SCCT to it. If not, disable the antivirus program before you try to play.
- Download and install the latest drivers for your motherboard. Make sure you get the right drivers, and not ones for another motherboard brand.
- Make sure your BIOS is up-to-date. Be careful with this one though; you must be certain you have the right BIOS update for your motherboard, otherwise your computer may not start at all. If you are unsure, email the manufacturers of your motherboard, and ask them how to update the BIOS and which file you need. That's what I did when updating my old computer's BIOS - I emailed Gigabyte, and they told me how to update the BIOS, and attached the update file. After that, it was easy to do, and it worked fine.

Loading screen comes up, but then nothing happens.
The problems: After the loading screen has been displayed, nothing happens.
The fix: Remove any un-SCCT-related USB devices, such as a webcam.

Stuttering problems and 2-3 second freezes
The problem: While playing SCCT, the game will stutter and freeze for 2-3 seconds every so often.
The fix:
- Make sure your computer is good enough to run the game at the settings you've set.
- Rkato fixed his problem by downgrading his nVidia Forceware drivers to version 67.93. However, I can't seem to find the 67.93 drivers, so perhaps it was a typo and he meant 66.93, which can be downloaded here (http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_66.93).

Monitor shuts off randomly during game, and a computer restart is required
The problem: Your monitor will shut off at random points in the game, and you have to restart the computer.
The fix:
- Make sure your graphics settings are not too high. Whenever I try to set my resolution to any higher than 1024x768, my monitor shuts off, because it is old and cannot handle it. I'm able to alt-tab or ctrl+alt+delete to minimize the game, and then I can turn the monitor back on and quit the game through the task manager.
- Make sure that nothing in your system is overheating. If you are overclocking, stop. Open up your computer box and clean out any dust with a vacuum. You may even want to try underclocking.

General suggestions for fixing problems
- Make sure your computer meets all the minimum system requirements. These are:

Windows 2000 / XP (Only)
Intel Pentium III or AMD Athlon processor
1.4 GHz (Pentium IV or Athlon 2.2 GHz recommended)
256 MB RAM (512 MB recommended)
64 MB DirectX 9.0c compliant graphics card (128 MB recommended)
DirectX 9.0c compliant sound card (EAX 2.0 or higher recommended)
DirectX 9.0c (Included on disk)
4x or better DVD-ROM drive
4 GB free hard drive space
Windows compatible mouse and keyboard only Broadband with 64 Kbps data transfer upload rate (128 kbps recommended) for multiplay

Supported Video Cards at Time of Release:
ATI Radeon 8500/9000/X families
NVIDIA GeForce 3/4/FX/6 families (GeForce 4 MX not supported)
Laptop versions of these chipsets may work but are not supported
- Look through the forums to see if somebody else has a problem similar to yours, and see if they've found a fix, or just look for Fix threads in general.
- Scan your computer for viruses and spyware. Also scan your registry with Registry Cleaners.
- Try uninstalling the game and reinstalling.
- Clean your disk.
- Open up your computer case (when the computer is off at the powerpoint, of course), and clean out any dust. Also, touch the various components and make sure they are not getting too hot. If they are, make sure you are not overclocking. If you aren't, then try turning down the graphics settings in the game, and if that still doesn't fix it, you might want to look into installing a better cooling system. Before you do this, though, email both UBI Tech Support and Tech Support for your video card, and see what they think the problem is and how to fix it.
- Uninstall any Windows gui/skins/theme modification programs, such as WindowBlinds or AlienGuise.
- Make sure you have downloaded and installed the latest patch, which is currently version 1.01.
- Email UBI Tech Support and any other relevant Tech Support websites.

I hope this guide is useful. As I said, please feel free to post any other problems and/or fixes, and I'll add them to the guide. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
I would be very appreciative if a mod stickies this thread - it may help a lot of people, cut down on the number of similar threads, and it would mean that all this typing won't go to waste. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Flatulus
04-04-2005, 02:00 PM
Wow!

Great idea Tfrogs!

-Flat

Tfrogs1
04-04-2005, 11:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Flatulus:
Wow!

Great idea Tfrogs!

-Flat <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lol thanks... but it looks like you're the only one who thinks so. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

fisherspond
04-05-2005, 11:59 AM
Thanks for taking the time.

GhostRiderLSOV
04-05-2005, 01:16 PM
Thanks Tfrogs. It's very good you are helping us. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif (and thanks to all others who make manuals, but I can't reply to every single one) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

SCwannabe
04-05-2005, 01:57 PM
This is fantastic, excellent job. This will help a lot of people!

cooldude6681
04-05-2005, 05:28 PM
With SCPT I had problems where the loading screen would come up when starting, then it would go away and nothing would happen. Unplugging my webcam worked like a charm. I don't know if the same happens for SCCT though. You might try it on your computer and see if the same thing happens.

Tfrogs1
04-06-2005, 07:47 AM
Ok thanks, I've updated it.

KoArAnG
04-07-2005, 05:21 PM
Myself and Many others have also been getting a crash where it just shuts off the monitor/TV randomly in the game and the only way out of it is a hard boot.
I had tried drivers and everything but to no avail. So today i opened up my case and cleaned out the fans on my Computer including the graphics card. My card is a 6800GT and it has a kinda mesh over the fan and this was completely clogged up with fine dust so i vacumed it all out. Been playing the game for four hours today and not a single crash with graphics set on maximum. I think the problem is that the game is really making the graphics cards work hard and this is creating more heat than usuall.
I know it sounds really silly but i think it will work for a lot of you people having the same crash..

Tfrogs1
04-08-2005, 03:37 AM
Thanks, guide updated.

Tfrogs1
04-09-2005, 08:06 AM
I'll bump this once, in the hopes that a mod will sticky it... but, that's probably not going to happen... oh well, maybe it'll help a few more people before I let it die.

KoArAnG
04-09-2005, 11:05 AM
Good idea, I'll second that Sticky call http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

CAINE-SC
04-09-2005, 01:35 PM
Do you know an answer for the static sound?

(http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=954105331&m=2261036203)

Tfrogs1
04-09-2005, 10:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CAINE-SC:
Do you know an answer for the static sound?

(http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=954105331&m=2261036203) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm... well, somebody who had a sound problem - delayed sound, not static - fixed their problem by removing certain sound programs that were interfering. Here is his post:

"I was having a delayed sound issue in SCCT that ending up having to do with some MIDI software I had installed. If you are having sound problems and use any sort of MIDI software you may want to use MSINFO and look under "loaded Modules" and look for anything being loaded any by instrument or sequencing software (Yamaha, Roland, Cakewalk ect..) Many times these manufacturers use .CPL (Control Panel Extentions) that can conflict with SCCT for some reason.
In my case it was a file called XGUSB.CPL located in \windows\system32. It's used to communicate to one of my Yamaha keyboards via USB. I simply renamed the file and rebooted and SCCT work perfectly now. Although my problem with the sound was a bad delay and not static etc, I thought I would post this in hopes that it might help someone else. I have informed UBI on this as well and dev said they would look into it.. we'll see... Good luck..." - captbendr

So, I guess you could try that.
I assume you've updated your drivers for everything? Sound card, video card, directx, maybe even motherboard?
If there's a way to temporarily disable EAX in your sound properties, then you could try doing so each time you want to play.
Have you tried using different speakers?

Sorry, that's all I can think of. It seems that it's most likely a problem on Ubi's end.

Spook01
04-10-2005, 05:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
posted Mon April 04 2005 00:22
I just thought I'd make a thread which outlines the various problems and their fixes for SCCT. If anybody has any other problems or fixes, please post them, and I'll add them to the list.
Note: so far this is only for Singleplayer, but if anybody has fixes to coop problems, I will add them too.

"Splintercell3.exe has encountered an error and needs to close. We are sorry for any inconvenience."
The problem: When starting SCCT, this error message will appear, and the game will crash.
The fix:
-In most cases, people with this error are running programs that alter the windows gui/skins/themes. These programs include AlienGuise, WindowBlinds, and ATI Themes. Uninstall these programs completely, and try to play the game again.
If it doesn't work, you may want to download some sort of free registry cleaner (Registry Repair Pro is a good one). With the registry cleaner, scan your registry to make sure any registry keys left over by the programs are removed.
- If the above fix doesn't work, right-click on the .exe file, go to Properties > Compatibility > Run This Program In Compatibility Mode For > Windows 2000.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have this problem... but how can i tell what these programs are and where can i locate them.

Tfrogs1
04-10-2005, 11:37 PM
Well, look for the most common ones on your start menu - WindowBlinds, for example - and use the uninstall utility. You could also use the add/remove programs feature and go through each of the programs, make sure you know what they do, and if you think any of them might be skins/themes programs, find out a bit more about them. If they are, then uninstall them.
Is your desktop style the default Windows style? If not, then you definitely have one of those programs installed, and it just might take a little searching to find what it's called.

OzSplinter
04-11-2005, 03:15 AM
I just got SCCT and discover the unexpected error crash out off the bat. Now I read to uninstall WindowBlinds, etc. Like hell I'm going to take out WB, it's an intregral part of the look of my OS (Aqua emulation). After running Max Payne, Far Cry, SCPT, Doom 3, and HL2, with no problems whatsoever, why should I change a core piece of software just to satisfy the needs of one fussy game. This is not good enough, a patch is the least that should be done here!

edit: it works fine by just shutting down WB before you play. Man I hate overkill solutions!