PDA

View Full Version : I think this is a good thing....

PacNW_CE
11-01-2005, 02:17 PM
So, today I offically got handed off my first lead engineering project. I am inheiriting a project that 75% of the budget is spent, and 50% of the work is left to do. Trial by fire baby! Now I actually have to learn how to manage people who make more money and have more experience than I do without being offensive and/or dominearing. I think I may get through this without having anyone curse me out, but I wouldn't bet against it.

PacNW_CE
11-01-2005, 02:17 PM
So, today I offically got handed off my first lead engineering project. I am inheiriting a project that 75% of the budget is spent, and 50% of the work is left to do. Trial by fire baby! Now I actually have to learn how to manage people who make more money and have more experience than I do without being offensive and/or dominearing. I think I may get through this without having anyone curse me out, but I wouldn't bet against it.

Captain JeB
11-01-2005, 02:30 PM
Congrats! I hope everything goes smoothly for you http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Ladyfly_1
11-01-2005, 02:31 PM
Congrats and good luck on no one cursing you out hehe. So what kind of Engineering do you do? I work in Civil. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

PacNW_CE
11-01-2005, 06:26 PM
Ditto. Civil engineers rock!

This is an ODOT project in Grants Pass Oregon. Evidently, the drunk lumberjacks like to tear down Hwy 199 and have a nasty habit of slipping of the road. Sounds like pure Darwin, except for the new housing developments that line the highway. Picking pieces of small children out of said lumberjacks' F350 grill isn't so kosher. Per normal, it's a planning level project that the environmental group wants a difinitive potential area of impact.

Inroads is killing me right now. I am holding the models together with bubble gum and duct tape.

(UPDATE) The Senior Civil mgr just brought me a copy of the contract Wednesday morning. Good to have, since the draft deliverables that are outlined in the contract were completed yesterday. I am so going to hurt the dead weight's feelings before this is done. Man, I wish I was more diplomatic right about now.

Ladyfly_1
11-02-2005, 03:10 PM
Sounds like fun hehe, I am working on a WSDOT project right now. We have an office in Oregon though and I have done work for ODOT before, good times hehe.

mixmastermatt
11-02-2005, 03:27 PM
Good luck on your project, Pac.

pugjared
11-02-2005, 05:23 PM
I have grandparents that live in Grants Pass. Watch out for my crazy granny driving around.

PacNW_CE
11-08-2005, 05:16 PM
OK, someone remind me why I wanted to be a project manager again?

All I did was take over control of a planning level project that now has suddenly blossomed into a preliminary engineering plan. Good thing the roadways were designed to ODOT standards...Wait! Thats right! They weren't!

Now I have to listen to everyone elses excuses as to why things aren't done. When the shoe is on the other foot.....not so much fun. Good thing I get to come in early to discuss the project progress with our supervising civil.

At least that fat payraise will be comfort. WAIT! That is a pipe dream too!

Suddenly I see why my boss has an office where the door closes. That way we can't hear him swearing under his breath. And here I thought I was the one that was going to get cursed out.

Mr.LurkerGuy
11-08-2005, 10:18 PM
I am facing the exact same type of thing, Pac. I guess all we can do is keep up the faith, as cheesy as that sounds. Man, I've been taking some punches lately though....

Gypsy816
11-09-2005, 09:27 AM
Good Luck! SOPunds like this is a great opp.. right?

PacNW_CE
11-09-2005, 10:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gypsy816:
Good Luck! SOPunds like this is a great opp.. right? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The short answer is yes. I am busting *** to get this done right, and thus jack up my salary a touch.

I just didn't realize how little my current manager has taught me. Evidently I am really good at making people think I know what I am doing. That, or my suspicions that my boss is technically sound but managerially challanged are correct.

brookelyn_FD
11-09-2005, 11:21 AM
I have faith in ya buddy.. YOU CAN DO IT! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

CursedwithaSoul
11-09-2005, 11:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by brookelyn_FD:
I have faith in ya buddy.. YOU CAN DO IT! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha. I can't hear someone say "you can do it!" without flashing back to Giuliani yelling it in Anger Management and Rob Schneider yelling it in Little Nicky.

PacNW_CE
11-09-2005, 03:57 PM
Thank you all for the Love and support.

I just caught a mistake my Boss ok'ed, and now his boss is going to lay into him about it. Suddenly, I hope I have a new supervisor soon.

DocHolidazed
11-09-2005, 04:06 PM
PAC. I think it's the new sig.....You PIMP

Mikevolta
11-09-2005, 04:10 PM
It's like a power tie, but in jpg format!

Gypsy816
11-09-2005, 08:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It's like a power tie, but in jpg format! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

PacNW_CE
11-09-2005, 08:13 PM
YES IT IS!

Phineas' sig brings out the best parts of my personality.

Mikevolta
11-09-2005, 11:09 PM
Hey Pac, what's the story with Arrogant Bastard Ale? I've heard many a discussion about how great it is. A dark beer I assume? I understand it's only available in Ca?

PacNW_CE
11-10-2005, 09:39 AM
Visit me (http://www.arrogantbastard.com)

Stone Brewing is out of San Diego. Their beers are in a word robust. Arrogant Bastard Ale is probably my favorite, but pretty much everything they make is tasty. It depends on what you like. Since I live in the craftbrew capital of the country, I am into unique beers.

To answer your question directly Mike, it's a very deep auburn ale. It may double as a solvent to loosen rusty nuts and bolts too, but I haven't tried that yet. It's avalible selectivley all over the world, and can be ordered directly from the link marked "visit me" above.

Loganissocool
11-10-2005, 11:10 AM
I use to work in the brewing industry and we got the worse trade magazines and I use that term loosely. Arrogant Bastard Ale was made when the brewer accidently put it double the ingredients into the brew pot. The owner came down and tasted it and noticed something was wrong. He then said, "You Arrogant Bastard no one will drink this"
Dont know how true this is but I thought it was a good story.

Mikevolta
11-10-2005, 02:45 PM
cool, I may have to give it a try. Being from Wisconsin I'm partial to Leinenkugels and naturally the Miller Brewing Company, but I'm always open to trying new tasty beverages. (as long as it's not light)

PacNW_CE
11-11-2005, 09:07 AM
Fantastic.

Me taking over this project has now created some collateral damage. Well, damage isn't the right word for it. In working with seinor management on this project, it has become abundantly clear that the civil design group is not working effectivly. Now the area manager and the lead civil manager are palavering to assess how to integrate our collective talents to produce correct and precise work. All this because I drew a cross section from right to left instead of from left to right.

Yes, intuitively I understand most of you have no clue what I am saying. Trust me, you don't want to know unless you have to.

To sum up, by not knowing what I am doing and being honest about it, My bosses bosses boss is going to change things for the better.