PDA

View Full Version : Is flogging still legal?

jlf1961
04-30-2007, 11:30 PM
Okay, I get this patrol that includes dropping off a spook for military intelligence (Oxymoron) on Kyushu.

No problem.

Leave there, get orders to patrol east china sea.

Enroute I happen along two old medium split merchants. WTH, I will take em with the deck gun.

First Martin and Lewis (Dean and Jerry respectively) are shooting wide, then they are over shooting the target, finally they seem to have gotten thier act together and hit the target a few times.

In the meantime, said target is returning fire. AND clearly, the gunners on that Japanese ship were the Japanese versions of Danial Boone and Davy Crocket on one, Wyatt Earp and Bill Hic**** on the the other, because these guys cant miss.

Finally, I get in a position to nail the first merchie with a spread of three fish from the bow, and the second with a spread of three from the stern, which I do post hast, scoring immediate hits with immediate sinkings. (I broke thier backs)

I get the damage repaired, dive the boat and start checking regs. I want to hang Martin and Lewis from the yardarm.

Exec tells me there aint a yardarm on a sub.

I next suggest walking the plank, and the DC officer informs me all planks been used to fix the boat.

Finally I settle on flogging, but it aint in the regs....

Maybe I could have em out scrapping rust and dive the boat out from under them, after making sure there was a lot of stuff to draw sharks....

I even have the letter thought out.....
{Dear _____,
I am sorry about the death of your family member, but the idiot couldnt shoot straight and got my boat shot to pieces.

I know it was cruel to the sharks, but I decided to save the rest of the Pacific Fleet the trouble and fed your family member to the sharks.

I did, however, leave the sharks a lot of antacid.

Sincerly
Cmdr. Teach,
USS Sandtiger.

PS
If you have anymore children, do the allied war effort a great service and have them enlist in the ENEMY'S military.
}

deadonarrival85
05-01-2007, 12:10 AM
If you have anymore children, do the allied war effort a great service and have them enlist in the ENEMY'S military

lmao i know how you feel my gun crew just wasted 1/2 my ammunition beofre hitting anything, i would have taken over but i was too busy shooting the enemy crew with my flak gun lol

Hiriyu
05-01-2007, 01:55 AM
Perhaps a good keel-hauling would do the trick?

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Deepbluewolf
05-01-2007, 04:00 AM
I most strongly complain about your actions, don`t you know that shark`s are becoming endangerd species??? I make my gunners drawn everytime i have flooding in the sub!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

bobwill
05-01-2007, 08:01 AM
Who cares if a course of action is legal. I say feed 'em to the sharks, especially if your boat is shot to hell, who's going to notice the one falsified log entry that says that these men were killed by enemy gunfire when in fact you left them on the surface after jettisoning your refuse including half-eaten half-spoiled meat to attract the nasty ocean critters. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Of course, for added comedic value, I could picture the boat on the surface, the gun crew out on deck, and you and your XO casually walk over, inspecting the boat, and then just casually and simultaneously each of you kicks one of the gunners in the arse, knocking each of them overboard. Then, suddenly you bark out, and your XO enthusiastically and almost instantly repeats, All ahead flank!

Harlock1973
05-01-2007, 08:37 AM
Historical notes

"Keel Hauling" was tossing a sailor over the front of a ship, usually secured in some way so that they could retrieve him on the other end, and more or less running him over with the ship's barnacled hull. It was occasionally fatal.

"Hanging from the yard arm" was literally hanging someone from the boom used to put provisions and cargo onto the ship. You'd use the yard arm so as not to interfere with the sailing of the ship, as hanging someone from the mainmast boom would do. It was always fatal,and the more cruel captains would simply let the body drop into the sea. This was considered a fitting punishment for muntineers.

hmcnally
05-01-2007, 01:05 PM
This is why I man the guns myself. I can actually hit what I shoot at.

Juvenal
05-01-2007, 03:15 PM
And even if someone survived the keelhauling, they were still usually half-drowned. As an added refinement, an unshotted cannon (powder and wadding only) known as the rogue's gun would sometimes be let off just as the spluttering, nearly dead offender was being hauled back up the far side of the ship.