PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor Missions VS Indoor Missions

Chaos_Recon
03-05-2005, 02:30 PM

Chaos_Recon
03-05-2005, 02:30 PM
Which do you prefer? Sneaking around caves and jungles, or staying in the corners of huge office buildings? Or do you like a little bit of both? The first Splinter Cell had very few outdoor enviroments, if any. Pandora Tomorrow had a couple, but for some reason they didn't feel all that great. I prefer sneaking around large buildings, like the LAX mission. But some levels are mixes of the two, for instance the Hokkaido level. You start off outside for about 5 minutes then end up in a teahouse, and later you can go outside more. The Lighthouse is an outdoor level, but I have mixed feelings about it. I like it somewhat [I prefer it over jungles], but I still feel the need to sneak around in large buildings. With all of the Single Player and Cooperative pics and videos, it looks as if there are going to be very few outdoor segments of the game - and I am very happy about it.

HardToExist
03-05-2005, 02:56 PM
It depends. I don't like outdoor missions that are just a big raining field, or a jungle. I did enjoy the caves in Lighthouse though, those were awesome. I'd prefer indoor because it's nice to lurk inside a place you've never been before. A jungle is a jungle, but a building has many cool rooms with lots of interesting things to see. What I would like to see is a level in which they were in a school, be it a SvM level or just a regular single player level.

Ninj3r
03-05-2005, 02:58 PM
I like both, I love the lighthouse outdoor parts
And the indoor parts were great

germ1234
03-05-2005, 02:59 PM
i'm a corporate sky rise type guy

the more moves i can pull...the better also

reppelling...split jump...pipes...all found in buildings and stuff

Th3C47
03-05-2005, 03:02 PM
I think Sam belongs indoors. So I like indoor missions with some outdoor parts.

black ops freak
I also like inside better than out, because the challenges of having to be closer to your enemies, and to have only one way to run in cramped spots make the game more tense. However, if they could make an outdoors level where the map is actually large and there are a lot of guards around, then that would be great. It was just too easy in SCPT to snipe enemies across a field and move on, especially since no other enemies were ever around to set off an alarm.

fasecase
I like indoor levels. the CIA level is my favorite level out of both splinter cell games. Hopefully chaos theory has a level like that one!

keeblerelfe
03-05-2005, 03:05 PM
I personally think outdoor missions in the previous Splinter Cell games were only cosmetically different than indoor ones, since in both cases you followed a very linear path, be it through a jungle or an airport. Now, the new nonlinear level design will apply to both indoor and outdoor environments, so gameplay differences between the two will come down to differences in how you interact with your environment (indoors, you will be shooting out/OCP'ing lights and hacking, while outside, you will be timing your movement to the concealing sounds of thunder and revealing flashes of lightning, taking advantage of enemies wanting to stay dry***, and possibly using natural foliage for concealment as in PT.)

I personally think that both modes of play are fascinating and wish for levels incorporating both.

***I realize that in the demo, lightning flashes don't affect your light meter, and that enemies don't seem to seek shelter from rain. Hopefully, this has simply been taken out of the demo and is not an example of Ubi letting us down.

NinjaHerbert
03-05-2005, 03:06 PM
Gotta have both http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I really enjoyed the outdoor missions in PT, sneaking through the brush, cutting tripwires, sniping guards from several hundred feet. And it's a blast to sneak through a high-security compound and never even see the light of day.

Variety of environment is really what it comes down to, and that's something that SC and PT excelled at, and I'm positive CT will as well.

germ1234
03-05-2005, 03:09 PM
i was wondering was there ever a day light missions? i mean outdoors daylight mission? just wondering...probably wouldn't be too good though since not much shadows and too bright.

from what i recall..there's a daring escape at the end of splinter cell right/ i think that was daylight

stealthy_U
03-05-2005, 03:09 PM
I lov indoor missions. Simply because the are normally harder but in out door missions you normally have much more space to move around.
But the best are indoor missions mixed with outdoor missions.

keeblerelfe
03-05-2005, 03:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by germ1234:
i was wondering was there ever a day light missions? i mean outdoors daylight mission? just wondering...probably wouldn't be too good though since not much shadows and too bright.

from what i recall..there's a daring escape at the end of splinter cell right/ i think that was daylight <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The guerrilla camp mission in Pandora, most of which was outdoors, started in the late afternoon or evening; it was night by the end of the mission though.

EDIT: Wait, no, the sun was nearly set at the end of the mission but it wasn't quite dark yet. After the bit where you open the door and have to put your hands up in the air for enemies, and then get saved by the snipers(Were the snipers commanded by Shetland or Coen?), you run to the Osprey on the cliffside and you can see the sunset in the distance.

NinjaHerbert
03-05-2005, 04:17 PM
I'd like to see at least one daylight mission. If it was real bright, almost blinding to the guards, you could still hide in darker shadows cast by buildings or trucks or whatever, and it could be a pretty interesting mission.

I'm reminded of the sunny sneaking sections on top of the Big Shell on MGS2. You didn't rely on shadows, but there were plenty of things to hide behind/in/under, and it helped emphasize careful positioning and accurately timed movements, which was a blast.

Dangerous_388
03-05-2005, 04:38 PM
Both are good

raleigh_whisp
03-05-2005, 04:41 PM
I like it when its a mission mostly in a building, but there is a court yard or big, open spaces where you can snipe. But the closer enviroements makes it harder, which I also like.

ChaosTheory13
03-05-2005, 05:45 PM
both...i love how that bank level is shaping up and i cant wait to play in the NY level(its inside).

Chaos_Recon
03-05-2005, 07:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ChaosTheory13:
both...i love how that bank level is shaping up and i cant wait to play in the NY level(its inside). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1. Yeah, the bank level looks INCREDIBLE. I will be playing it so many times.

2. I heard the NY level starts out in the streets where you have to get by the National Guard, then you make it to a building and it becomes an Assault type of mission...

HardToExist
03-05-2005, 07:30 PM
Where can I find pictures/video of the bank level, I don't think I've seen anything about it yet...

ChaosTheory13
03-05-2005, 08:10 PM
go to gamespot or ign.com and look for the vids.

Omega_224
03-05-2005, 08:20 PM
I like indoor missions better. Outdoor's okay, but indoor is much better. I like sneaking around in places that are familiar to people. They go about their business, doing their jobs, ususpecting. Not knowing you're there, two feet behind them. I love the feeling. It makes it more suspenseful. In PT, all the jungle missions were too open. I like closed spaces in SC. There's usually more shadows because there's not as much direct sunlight. More walls. Oh, too bright in here? Turn off the light! Yeah, problem solved. Can you turn off the sun? Nope. i|\|d00r5 r teh uber r0xx0rz 0\/3r teh 0u+do04s.

ChaosTheory13
03-05-2005, 08:25 PM
i think the CIA mission in sc1 made us like indoor missions more.

GZA-LiquidSword
03-05-2005, 08:25 PM
This is what I like. Levels where you begin and/or exit outdoors, and the bulk of the mission is indoors. Even if you're outside for only a minute or two, it really helps sell the fact that you're being thrown into the middle of a secret operations. For example, in PT the level where you are in the park and lot and wait for the truck, sneak in the back and then go down to the parking garage. Although the trip down is a little long (which has nothing to do with what I'm talking about, the developers just made the distance a little too long imo ), I felt like I was entering a place where you don't belong. So even though you're only outside for a second, it's better than just being thrown inside of a building apparently out of nowhere.

ChaosTheory13
03-05-2005, 08:27 PM
yeah, but in missions you could have came through the roof when you suspect you are just inside the building.lambert may say you came through the roof or something.but whatever.

Spekkio9
03-05-2005, 08:41 PM
CIA is my favorite mission, so I'd have to vote indoors. You couldn't kill anyone and it was so **** hard in the first 1/2 of it cuz you didn't even have a gun!

SplinterCell_37
03-05-2005, 08:59 PM
both, but indoor for preference.

GZA-LiquidSword
03-05-2005, 09:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ChaosTheory13:
yeah, but in missions you could have came through the roof when you suspect you are just inside the building.lambert may say you came through the roof or something.but whatever. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I understand, but what good is it if someone tells you? What if they lambert just said "oh ok you just snuck around through this building and collected all the information we need and rescued a hostage. Now just walk out of the door," wouldn't you feel like you missed sometihng than if you actually went through the mission, sneaking in the building (which is what you do in every SC game) to get there, to escape? You'd be missing out on the whole experience

That was an exaggeration obviously, but that's my point. If you actually sneak in you feel more connected and realize the situation better. Thats just me though.

HardToExist
03-05-2005, 09:19 PM
go to gamespot or ign.com and look for the vids. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Chaos_Recon
03-05-2005, 09:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HardToExist:
go to gamespot or ign.com and look for the vids. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Also, check out the following link for a preview of the first 5 levels. It has a short paragraph about The Bank level, it gives some info on it. Also, the "Stealth Basics" training video is the beginning of the bank. It is going to be a very open, non-linear level. It's so long that they actually split it into 2 missions!

Click this link to learn more about the Bank. (http://xbox.ign.com/articles/587/587899p1.html)

stealthmaster736
03-05-2005, 09:32 PM
After the bank leval I think that the CIA leval will no longer be my favorite.It's nice how each SC game so far has one leval that really stands out.
SC:CIA leval
PT:Train leval
CT:New york leval
But I'm probably gonna like the bank leval more then the NY leval.IGN said that it put's all of the other SC levals to shame.I like both inside and outside levals.But there is so much more to do in inside levals.

liquid_chaos
03-05-2005, 09:48 PM
My favorite is when the developers combine the two.

Mp1 Killer
03-05-2005, 10:46 PM
I say any mission in CT will be good heh....

HorTyS
03-06-2005, 12:02 AM
i prefer a mixture of both with a slight focus on more indoor. kalenitek from SC 1 has some slight outdoor areas, like between the garage and building and the whole rooftop segment.

FVipe
03-07-2005, 01:37 PM
In splinter cell, I prefer sneaking much more inside buildings...

NSA Agent
03-07-2005, 02:00 PM
A variation of both enviroments is always better for me. I have noticed that the Bank Level has an incredible amount of hype, well from my view anyway Japan looks much better, that's just me. The Bank does look good though, lot's of high tech security and fairly enclosed by the looks of things in parts, should make escape harder. And because it's the third level, there should be an improvement in the A.I as the A.I is said to become progessively smarter as you play every level.

I wasn't to pleased with the Jungle in PT, the whole design of the level just didn't feel all that good. The CIA in CT would be outstanding...

stealthmaster736
03-07-2005, 02:14 PM
It was already outstanding in SC.As of right now the CIA leval is still my favorite of all the SC games.

Blaster23423
03-07-2005, 02:34 PM
I prefer Indoor mission because you feel a lot more cooler than outside.
I mean its a lot more fun to sneak in a building with a lot of guard, cameras, lasers.. there is a lot more suspense..
you really feel that you are a secret agent, a ghost shadow.
But outdours mission are pretty good also, and usually longer than indoor missions. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Shadow_M.A.D.8
03-07-2005, 03:01 PM
yeah i like INDOOR missions much cooler to sneaking around in big LAX buildings and offices
cuz like real splinter cell guys dont walk around like some forest ******s http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif
but anyway real sc guys infiltrate big buildings with hacking terminals and sort my opinion http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

Dougie_uk2005
03-07-2005, 03:03 PM
Man calm down shadow u going get banned from forums and maybe UBI beacuse they are realy mnad about this racist things

Jackal56o
03-07-2005, 03:46 PM
i like both, and a perfect example of this is the cargo ship level. i love boats and ships and since u start off outside and make your way in, thats awesome! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Omega_224
03-07-2005, 05:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mp1 Killer:
I say any mission in CT will be good heh.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, of course. It's stated in Einstein's Law of Chaos Theory:

Any level in Chaos Theory = Uber Pwnage.

OR STATED IN EQUATION FORM

LCT=UP