PDA

View Full Version : Best way to progress

CrankyCaucasian
10-19-2011, 08:31 AM
This is probably a dumb topic. Played for an hour or so last night and pretty much just followed along with the Rocksmith recommends things that popped up. So I play my first venue and move on to another one and now the first one is unavailable.

I guess I assumed the game would work with me and have me work on "easier" songs until I mastered them before moving me on to new ones. Instead I went through a practice with each song in the first venue twice, did a couple technique drills then did a performance and moved on never to return.

How are other people working with this? I know now I can change songs in the set list and I can practice those songs until I feel I'm ready to move out, I just thought the game would do that for me. And does anyone know if the order the songs are being given is in a difficulty order, again assuming some songs are easier to play than others.

I feel like I'm muddling through without direction and potentially going into new techniques before I'm ready, but maybe it's just me. So what are you guys doing?

jemenard
10-19-2011, 09:16 AM
I was wondering the same thing, I didn't feel like I was ready for the next performance, but the only mini-game I had unlocked was the duck one...

Martin37
10-19-2011, 09:23 AM
Same here, I was looking to go back and master the song befor the next venue.

After all, Guitard is all about practice yes?

Cheer
Martin

Wolfbeckett
10-19-2011, 09:24 AM
If you press start while on the "Rocksmith Recommends" screen, you can get to the main menu, from which you can play any song, access the minigames, go to the riff repeater, etc. If you still feel the need to practice the songs from the first gig, then you can do so this way.

CrankyCaucasian
10-19-2011, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Wolfbeckett:
If you press start while on the "Rocksmith Recommends" screen, you can get to the main menu, from which you can play any song, access the minigames, go to the riff repeater, etc. If you still feel the need to practice the songs from the first gig, then you can do so this way.

Thanks. Yeah, I know I can do that, which is what I'm going to do. I was just under the impression from all the preview videos I saw that the game wouldn't progress until I mastered it. I'm guessing they didn't want people getting bored playing the same 2 songs over and over for days, just not what I expected, glad to know it isn't just me.

CrankyCaucasian
10-21-2011, 01:12 PM
So to follow-up with this, I had gone back with the intention of just practicing The Stones' Satisfaction, but now thinking I should just fly through all the different venues since I'm guessing that's the only way to unlock all the mini-games. Then once it's all unlocked, I can go back and pick and choose what to focus on. Is this what everyone seems to be doing?

jemenard
10-21-2011, 01:21 PM
Last night I stayed on the first two songs and the first three technique challenges...but tonight I think I am going to keep going with reccomends until they stop...

xxBuddhasPALMxx
10-21-2011, 02:21 PM
When you add songs from your prior set list to your current one, the qualifying point requirement becomes much higher, which in turn does what you're looking for, I think....but beware, if you qualify as 'master' on just one of your songs for a set then you will have to perform every song in master mode, which removes all prompts

DJdarkness73
10-21-2011, 02:45 PM
As a virtual noob to the guitar I find that following the recommended stuff is the way to go for me, along with doing the technique challenges and guitarcade. If I spend too long on one song I get frustrated and do worse than when I switch to a different song for a few tries and then come back.

Pancho X1
10-21-2011, 02:58 PM
i'm tempted to go back to previous songs and play them to get better and to unlock the stuff in amp mode but I don't want to jump up in levels and totally bomb another upcoming song. I plan to hit the challenges and mini games to practice and move through the songs in order. after completing the carrier mode, i'll go back and hit the songs hard.

Hab_Fan
10-21-2011, 10:33 PM
There should definitely be more user control on the level up process, I find the game levels up to quickly and you don't get the required repeatability for muscle memory. Often I find my self restarting the song near the end so that I can repeat at the same level. I also do this because the process of reloading the song takes too long. Other than that I am loving the game.

r1chard34
10-21-2011, 11:50 PM
I've found that in following the recommendations, when you get invited to a venue and then rehearse a song, RM seems to analysis what you did and cue up a bunch of other recommendations depending on how you did.

After a rehearsal there will be riff repeater, and chords, and technique challenges, even game suggestions pertaining to the song you just played.

They seem to go away when you qualify the song for the venue.

etbarrows
10-22-2011, 09:06 AM
I decided I was going to work on Satisfaction until I had it nailed, riff repeater, technique, etc. What I ended up doing was leveling myself up to the point where when I came back the next day I could hardly play it at all. Was getting really frustrated and just decided to do the performance. When I got into the 2nd & 3rd set lists the light bulb went on and realized the game was smarter than I am and was building my chops in an organized steady progression. Now I am just following the games lead and have been very happy with my progress.

Coda05
10-22-2011, 05:22 PM
I also agree. If anything, a nice option to choose when u wanted to move up, ex - you would only improve if u hit 80 percent of the notes.
This is a game tool hybrid, some more personal settings would have been nice.
Anyone who designs a game like this and anyone who would buy it would know its not about getting to the end in 2 days. Any instrument is alllll about practice and repetitiveness and i was all for that, thats what i was expecting.
As said in another forum, an option to display the notes u were hitting would be nice.
Before the game was out, i imagined a mini game where in a certain scale on a certain part of the neck, it asked u to hit a certain notes, or just the A's, then perhaps add another note, until u know the whole scale, then as such like the duck game, it was all about the notes in the scale. Not only would this be better to me, ducks to me seems rather random, 2nd fret, 8th fret, your all over. "Ducks - Key of D" or "Ducks - Key of E" would have been fun, as only the notes in that scale would have displayed, with the notes as well....
And where is the free play, how come i haven't found it yet?
Still satisfied with it, as my fingers have never hurt this much in a year....i was constantly on and off...now i look forward to poppin it in and hurting myself http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Plus the gf doesnt have a valid case anymore when she says im wasting my days off playing video games and im playing this.