PDA

View Full Version : Is this game worth buying? It looks like..

Da_Junka
05-13-2006, 03:39 AM
From the screen’s this looks like a warcraft clone and I hate the gameplay (what gameplay) in warcraft ( so dull ).
Most of you here seem to be Heroes veteran’s, so what make's this game stand above the crowd and what does it score on the addiction meter? out of 10.

znork
05-13-2006, 03:43 AM
its no real time like warcraft. its turn based, its adtivtive is good!

sxs_110
05-13-2006, 03:46 AM
This game is NOT like Warcraft. They can't even be compared with each other. Warcraft is a RTS and Heroes is a turn based strategy game. The gameplay is totally diffrent. Read some reviews/previews about it and make yourself a picture.

And yes, the game IS very addictive. Of course you should buy it!

Mr.Eiki
05-13-2006, 05:40 AM
i would summarise it like:

game and type of game

doom = fps
warcraft = rts
homm = homm http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Infiltrator-SF
05-13-2006, 06:17 AM
Nothing we say here can give you a more clear picture untill you try it. Once you get the basic idea of the game, you will open a Pandora's box worth of questions http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

RamzaBehoulve
05-13-2006, 06:22 AM
HoMM serie has nothing to do with Warcraft or any other RTS game.

It's turn based strategy, not real time, although there are some special tricks in multiplayer that allow you to do something during opponent's playing time.

SirJohn1965
05-13-2006, 06:43 AM
All I can say is the Demo was really good.

Da_Junka
05-13-2006, 08:27 AM
You have got me interested, turn based, some of the finest games I’ve played where turn based, downloading demo now.
I was going to buy it, but play.com says it's not out until the 19th. pifff

I don’t mind buying games, cheapest entertainment there is, when you get a good one that is.
What I hate is buying ****e that the only resemblance to a game is the name on the box.

RamzaBehoulve
05-13-2006, 11:00 AM
I was going to buy it, but play.com says it's not out until the 19th. pifff

We are a lot sharing the same pain as you, waiting for the game to be released officially.

RamzaBehoulve
05-13-2006, 11:11 AM
What pissed me off the most in RTS and didn't come as an issue in HoMM 5 was the real time micromanagement of units....

Since it's turn based in HoMM (with a delay if you activate some special option), it's really about quick thinking and strategy instead of who can smash the keyboard the fastest.

I know I won't need to play 10h a day to be good unlike in other RTS or FPS.

HotNifeThruButr
05-13-2006, 01:26 PM
The graphics are about the only thing that's similar in any way to warcraft... although it's REALLY REALLY similar, but that's really no basis to judge a game on.

Oakwarrior
05-13-2006, 01:47 PM
I'd score this 10 out of 10 on the addiction meter http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Val-Gaav
05-13-2006, 02:25 PM
Well ... IMO h5 is not worth buying ... Mainly becouse of crappy unintuitive interface ( which was a lot better in h3 and h4 i dunno why they changed something that was good) , another thing is very bad camera view (it's the worst in underground) ... add to this that the game is not optimised to run as it should on it's minimal requirements ...

Oh and i base my opininon on the demo .... i finished all it's maps and the moded ones also ...

[Edit]
oh and the rumors about small maps number and lack of map editor in intial realese makes me wonder that this game is rushed ... If it's rushed it may have many other issues

Korbolus
05-13-2006, 02:28 PM
Well, I would give it a 12 out of 10http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif The demo is SUPERB!

Oakwarrior
05-13-2006, 02:31 PM
this game is rushed

Remember, it was delayed by the HoMMUnity a while back, if it were released back then, it would have been rushed.

Val-Gaav
05-13-2006, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Oakwarrior:
Remember, it was delayed by the HoMMUnity a while back, if it were released back then, it would have been rushed.

I know, I also voted for delaying it ... If it was realesed then it would be a dissaster .... Now we will get totally averege game (and still a rushed game , notice that interface problems from beta , not being able to spot neutral creatures (too small) IMO it was solved by Nival in rush , they wanted to make it as fast as they could ) ... Editor ? in patch ... so why not realese the game latter when editor is ready ?

If people rank it then I will also :

5 /10

It has some potential ... however I do remember that the devs said they change the interface becouse they want to make it more intuitive and easier ... LOL ... then this what's in the demo is a total failure .

RamzaBehoulve
05-13-2006, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Val-Gaav:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Oakwarrior:

I know, I also voted for delaying it ... If it was realesed then it would be a dissaster .... Now we will get totally averege game (and still a rushed game , notice that interface problems from beta , not being able to spot neutral creatures (too small) IMO it was solved by Nival in rush , they wanted to make it as fast as they could ) ... Editor ? in patch ... so why not realese the game latter when editor is ready ?

If people rank it then I will also :

5 /10

It has some potential ... however I do remember that the devs said they change the interface becouse they want to make it more intuitive and easier ... LOL ... then this what's in the demo is a total failure . </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Reading all your posts, it sounds more and more you are just bitter this game is not working natively on Linux/Unix and never will. You already said you wouldn't buy the game solely based on that point.

Not intuitive UI? Sorry, it's my first HoMM, took me less than 15 min to figure out most things.

Not enough maps? What's your point? You got no idea how huge and how long one will take to be completed.

No editor at release? Big deal, try finishing the whole game before editor is out then, I bet you'll have a hard time doing that unless you play over 12h a day and multiplayer certainly doesn't require a trazillion useless maps noone will play.

If you judged the game so badly as to not buy it and almost spit on it, I don't understand why you are still around. Personnaly, when I really lose interest in a game, I move on...which makes me think you aren't being very honest with us or yourself here. You almost sound like you wish it fails for whatever reason may be in your mind.

Giving the game anything below 7/10 is not being objective.

ShadowProject
05-13-2006, 04:38 PM
Is Heroes 5 worth buying? Definetly, but is it perfect, definetly not.

Whant I've read about heroes 5 is that is suposed to be much more similar to heroes 3 but with even better grafic than heroes 4, witch sounds like it must be as perfect as it gets. But when I tried the demo and I got the "Granny2.dll" (like so many others) I started to get worried. I wasnt going to buy a game that maybe shouln't work on my computer, so I spent a few (ehem..) hours to be sure the game whould work on my computer.
First I had the same problem with the real game as with the demo, but after I installed the service pack2, the game worked!

From what Ive tested so far I really like it. The art is wonderfull, the music is O.K (could been better...) And the units doesent look like the ones in heroes 3 but still hell alot cooler than in heroes4. The Camera irrated me at first but I got used to it and it doesent bother me anymore. I will deffinelt buy it on monday! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Da_Junka
05-13-2006, 05:03 PM
Well you guys are intense and I mean intense, you would think we where talking about the end of the world or something. So what does that mean? It means I am going to buy it defiantly, based on this forums response and the demo this is going to make my game cd go bald and evaporate. I love good games.

C_h_u_c_k_l_e_s
05-13-2006, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Oakwarrior:
I'd score this 10 out of 10 on the addiction meter http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

9 out of 10 for me. But that's only because I don't have a full version yet. In a few days, that score might change. :O)

Val-Gaav
05-13-2006, 06:01 PM
@RamzaBehoulve :

Actually it's not about Linux thing ... HoMM will most likely in like half year (when WINE team implements Dx9 support) work under Linux ... It will not be native but it will .

As for interface :
U should really try homm3 or even homm4 .. they are not perfect but interfaces there are a lot better then the one here... and I did got used to it by now ... although at the beginning it was horrid ... What is the biggest pronblem however is adventure map and camer view on it ... From my persective in a strategy game u should have a possibility of "bird view" where u see everything on the map ... In other words : zoominng and rotating should not be a nesesity it should be optional for those who want to have closer look on graphics etc ..

Town interface : Well the building chart "city plan" was a lot better in previos games .. Here icons are too small ...

Maps : From what I seen it's actually possible to make a h5 map when u do not have to rotate and where u are not lost everywhere . However this is not in Nival maps (well this singel inf vs heaven map is close to it) ... This was the same with HoMM4 . Maps there had many large objects that could easily block the view of some things (even trees) . However all 3do/NWC maps were made in a way to not do so .

I also do see many "+" of the game ... I actually like the hero skills , abilities , racial skills ... I also like the way towns are asosciatied with magic skills ...

but for me this game is AVERAGE ...

My friend who is a big fan of HoMM3 (but did not know ebnything about hommV before) played only 3 turns of demo and said that he do not want to play more . He was lost in adv map and in the interface . Is this how your first game contact should be?

BTW I just removed my sig , becouse I will not buy this game even if it's Linux native.

And why do i stay here ? It's a HoMM forum , so in theory it's about all HoMM games ... I also do not see in ToU that I should always only praise the hommV while I'm here . Sorry I'm just stating my opinion and for me this game is average.

Ohhh and BTW : Maybe here almost all people are optimistic about h5 and give this game 9/10 10/10... but on other forums like celstialheavens it is not so. (it also does not mean that all people hate this game there http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif )

hein321
05-14-2006, 02:32 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif there is only 5 custom maps you can play and you cannot customize your starting heroes,town,location everything is preselected like in the demo version.

RamzaBehoulve
05-14-2006, 03:12 AM
Ohhh and BTW : Maybe here almost all people are optimistic about h5 and give this game 9/10 10/10... but on other forums like celstialheavens it is not so. (it also does not mean that all people hate this game there http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif )

Thank you for explaining yourself, it is much appreciated for further discussions.

As far as the quote goes : some people are unrealistic... I'd give 7.5/10 based on what I experienced and like I said, going below 7 would show a lack of objectivity.

Da_Junka
05-14-2006, 04:14 AM
Your right the graphics are the only war crafty thing on it. It's very good. How come all the other might and magic game slipped by me. It reminds me of a game I use to play on the Amiga years back, can't remember the name of the game but it had 2 sequels and was addictive as hell.

RamzaBehoulve
05-14-2006, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by hein321:
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif there is only 5 custom maps you can play and you cannot customize your starting heroes,town,location everything is preselected like in the demo version.

There are 6 scenario maps, not 5. And of course you can't customise or it wouldn't be scenario maps.

You can however play the multiplayer maps in single player and choose your hero, etc...

Shinma72
05-14-2006, 06:33 AM
So far it's sounding like it's not worth buying... I like the direction they went, but so far I'm hearing there is no hot seat maps, hardly any Skirmish type maps outside of campaigns...
If most of these things are correct then it sounds like trash. But will have to wait for release and check reviews and such. I'm hoping these reports are not true to how the release will be. Sometimes pirated versions are quite true to the gold version, and sometimes not.

ChimTheGrim
05-14-2006, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by Infiltrator-SF:
Nothing we say here can give you a more clear picture untill you try it. Once you get the basic idea of the game, you will open a Pandora's box worth of questions http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Try the game... it is it's own style. Much better than most strategy games.

Kem0sabe
05-14-2006, 07:51 AM
I would give the game a 4/10, just basing it on the single player aspect, as at the momment i would not be confortable raiting the multiplayer when theres no random map generators or map editor.

The single player campaign is abysmal to say the least, the voice acting is the worst i have seen on any computer game... whoever wrote the scrip that the actors read should be shot.

The missions themselfs are uninspired, the maps have no logic to them and the campaigns themselfs just dont make any sense *shrug*

Red_orbiT_
05-14-2006, 08:15 AM
I don't think the graphic is warcrafty... it's a bit cartoonish, but not warcraftish. I dislike the warcraft graphics, but I love hommV graphics.
My rating of the game?
I'll wait until I've played it until I pass my judgement. The AI will be a large factor.

Labyrinth
05-14-2006, 08:29 AM
The single player campaign is abysmal to say the least, the voice acting is the worst i have seen on any computer game... whoever wrote the scrip that the actors read should be shot.

The missions themselfs are uninspired, the maps have no logic to them and the campaigns themselfs just dont make any sense *shrug*

How do you know? All you have played until now is two single missions dragged out of their context. Playing the campaigns as a whole will be extremely different!

Naskonni
05-14-2006, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Labyrinth:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The single player campaign is abysmal to say the least, the voice acting is the worst i have seen on any computer game... whoever wrote the scrip that the actors read should be shot.

How do you know? All you have played until now is two single missions dragged out of their context. Playing the campaigns as a whole will be extremely different! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are obviously plenty of people playing the retail game version without, erm, buying it as it is not even released yet (somebody at UBI definitely dropped the ball big time with this leak)...

To the topic - the game has problems still, in certain departments I find it simplified in comparison to H3 for example but the hero skills/abilities are better and make for a better gameplay on the other hand. The new faction specific skills/abilities/characteristics are really nice.

The town and hero interfaces could DEFINITELY use some attention though - the H3 ones were so much easier on the eye and more comfortable to manipulate. In this iteration both seem as if unnecessarily complicated for no apparent reason.

Personally I love the graphics of the game (excluding the new Insecto-Treants and the Bucket-Fashion-New-Inquisitors) - it looks just fabulous (most Inferno creatures and Rakshasa Raja being among my favourites).

Overall for me at the moment the game is realistically 7/10, it can easily become a 9/10 or even 10/10 with the proper support several months down the line. It is good enough to buy it now as it is and I will do so, but I most certainly expect long-term commitment with no-BS patches released in realistic time frames post release.

Somehow I have enough faith that I will not be disappointed. Let's hope I'm right http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

mshe
05-14-2006, 02:39 PM
AI is non-existing in the campaign (What AI!?). Camera/Graphics need optimization - certain angles really slow down the frame rate. There are only 10 - 15 solo maps.

There are some strange bugs such as right clicking on units - on my machine the context menus would disappear and not stay in place all the time. On the bright side, the game has not crashed to Windows : )

Online gaming is fine and dandy... but what if I don't have time to play through an entire game - with single player, you can save and resume the game anytime you like.

I would rate the game a 7/10.

BTW, I bought Gal Civ II a couple weeks ago - while it's not perfect either, it's probably one of the best turn-based strategy games I played in a long long time (Civ 4 comes close too). Gal Civ II and Civ 4 are both MUCH better than HOMM 5 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

RamzaBehoulve
05-14-2006, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Shinma72:
So far it's sounding like it's not worth buying... I like the direction they went, but so far I'm hearing there is no hot seat maps, hardly any Skirmish type maps outside of campaigns...
If most of these things are correct then it sounds like trash. But will have to wait for release and check reviews and such. I'm hoping these reports are not true to how the release will be. Sometimes pirated versions are quite true to the gold version, and sometimes not.

There are 10 multiplayer maps (+10 that will be downloadable at release or shortly after) that can be used in any multiplayer mode, including hotseat.

If campaign maps are anything like demo, they will take an average of 2h each to complete and there are 30 of them.