PDA

View Full Version : back to SH-3.....sigh

Sub_Boy
01-14-2008, 11:18 AM
First off greetings to all the forum members,

I can bite my tounge with the best of them, but once again SH-4 has driven me too after many months of forum silence to add this my latest post.

After months of enjoying playing SH-3 only,I noticed on my shelf the lonely SH-4 game, and thought I'd give it yet another try, so having it already installed since it was released I went to Ubi Soft to see if there were any updates/fixes to the game, and was pleased to see the 1.4 patch which I did not have.
So before playing, I carefully read all instructions, and installed the patch, defraged, stayed "in port", etc.

Then upon playing the game, once again I quickly lost interest due to it's continued flaws, poor play design, and lack of lustre or excitment.
I realise most of the members here are die hard sub sim fans as I am, and I mean no offence to any one here but I as a member am intitled to express an opinion.
I was not sure as where I should add this post, is it "general discussion", or "technical"?, but I believe due to all SH-4's games gliches, and inaccurate flaws, I chose to post it here.
To be honest it was a toss up.

Now I will list the main premise behind this post, and I will try to make it as short as possible with regards to my main complaints about this game.
Any feed back would be appreciated.

1)Where did Ubi soft come up with the accurate system requirements for this game?
My computer has twice the "minimal requirements" spec. wise required in this game, yet I find it runs best on the "low" graphic setting, anything above it lags, and yes I have every unneccessary process shut off I can think off.
I would feel sorry for anyone trying to run SH-4 on a 2ghz computer, as my old pentium 4 1.8 ghz, barely ran SH-3.

2)My lord! what did they do to the playing interface, I spend more time working on remembering how to get to the different stations than having to figure out what action, or where to click next,also having to double click or more to get where I hope to go, talk about sore fingers.
Not good when your under attack, and seconds count!
This is far more a keyboard game, than point & click, it's way over complicated and confusing.
They should have included the keyboard control sheet diagram as they did in SH-3, instead of having to print it out.
SH-3 had it right, interface wise, simple and fast.

3) Why is the periscope so cluttered!!
I don't know how many times I've died,or missed targets especially during a blind night attack becuase I can barely see past the TDC, and the idiotic positioning of the clock!!
I'm trying to track my torpedoes progress clock wise, but if I'm lineing up more than one target I have to turn the clock off to see (periscope bearing)where I am, or what to do/kill next???
Once again SH-3 had it just right.

4)To be honest,I like realism in my sim's so I play all my SH series games on the highest realism settings except for manual targeting, call me lazy.
But with SH-4,I find it neccessary to leave the external view camera on so that during a dived attack, I can get a handle where I'm positioned, and avoid the cluttered periscope view til needed.
Having to rely on the external view option on bothers me.

5) Heres a quick one, how do you calculate fuel vs. maxinum range??? instead of looking at your fuel indicater as a car gas guage, or best guess?
Am I missing a button or somthing here, this game lacks the "fuel report, maxinum range, etc." options among others in SH-3.

6)I suppose the question above now leads me to this puzzlement.
What is the point of the crew?, they don't do much other than look like hung over life less 2D paper cutouts that just take up space, they have zero personality, you can't click on them to order them to do anything, thier just there thats it!
It is because of thier lack of real purpose that makes this game into a micro management nightmare leaving you to do just about every thing for them any way, and this is one reason why the game loses it's "want to play", lustre, and any excitment value.
The bottom line is with SH-3, I could feel my pulse rise when trying to get under depth charges, but never in this game.
SH-3 was,and still is a classic, cinematic feel game, no question.

7) last but not least, how could this game come out of the box so flawed??
This game relys heavilly on correct calculations, and a high degree of accuracy during game play.
How can I enjoy or trust a game thats been patched/modded to death to repair, every TDC, bearing etc,etc,etc. errors going.
Even the AI is stupid, as after installing the 1.4 patch, I, as an experiment surfaced among FOUR Japanese destroyers, than manned the deck gun, only to have them at point blank range chase me in a circle, and take occasional pot shots at me, as my crew fired back.
By the way I had time to leave my computer, go to the can, and do a #2, come back and was still floating and fighting, lol.
Try doing that with just one Tribal destroyer in SH-3, or in the real world, lol.
Yes they finally killed me.

At this point I put the "again to be lonely" game back on the shelf,till the next patch??.

SH-4's strong points, you ask?
Pretty water & lighting effects, missions with real objectives, and a good back story.
It's too bad this could of been a winner,and if there's ever a SH-5, Ubi Soft & developers should take another look at the "gem" SH-3 as a role model to design,build, and improve on.

So in ending, to all you fine folks at Ubi Soft & developers, please don't look at this, or me as another "game basher", just more as constuctive critism from one who paid good money for what I believe a long awaited disappointing product.
After all it's the input from myself, and others that either "puts you on the map,OR under it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/typing.gif

Cheers sub_boy

pookapotamus
01-15-2008, 06:21 AM
wait sub boy don't self it yet. yes the game was flawed and yes all your issue you just brought up still exist. but don't give up there is more you can do to make this a very exciting game. first of all to help fix some of your issues install jsgme and download some mods like row (reflections on watrer) this mod makes the game look great! and also trigger maru this mod ups the realism and difficulty. and also fixes the inter face problems you have encountered. unfortunately i am not a vetran player but go over to the general disscusion forum and read up on it also there are a lot of great captain on here that can help you out.

so give it another shot just remember that the two games are a completely different animal. good luck and good hunting.

Sparhawk81
01-15-2008, 08:44 AM
Oh well well...

I can perfectly understand your disappointment, but the game was so flawed many months ago. Now you should apply the latest patch (click HERE (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6421019045/m/9151054216)), which corrects many bugs/glitches.

Moreover, you could also install some mods (the best one, IMHO, is Trigger Maru - you'll find it in the sticky topics in General Discussion), just remember that in order to apply a Mod, you'll also need the JSGME (click HERE (http://www.users.on.net/%7Ejscones/software/products.html)).

I won't explain now how to set it up, or it will get quite long... should you need any help with JSGME, open a new topic http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

1) Minimal requirements have always been very "generous"... it's not just Ubi, it's about almost every software house. In order to play SH4 with full settings, you need at least 2 Gb of RAM and a recent video card. It can be played fairly well also on medium level systems, tho

2) Don't mention it! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif Anyway, install the Trigger Maru mod (it restores SH3 shortcuts), or if you want to ONLY have SH3 shortcuts, then check the Mod topic in the General forum (it's sticky)

3) You can close all the panels around the periscope... I know at the beginning it's kinds bothering, but you'll get used to it...

4) see above http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

5) In stock version, you don't. Install Trigger Maru to have that option

6) Well, I didn't care much about my crew in SH3 either... at least now, when I dive and switch from diesel to electric engines, I don't have to manually drag some sailors from the diesel to the electric compartment, because some of them "forget" go to to the proper engine room...

7) Stock version is a bit too "arcade oriented"... try installing Trigger Maru Mod, and then have a gunfight with a DD... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I know, a good game shouldn't need Mods to be enjoyable... Bad news is that SH4 does.
Good news is that Trigger Maru makes it a pretty enjoyable game (thanks Ducimus!!), much more realistic and much more challenging.

Personally,I couldn't even think of playing SH4 without the Trigger Maru mod installed

walkirie
01-17-2008, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Sub_Boy:
First off greetings to all the forum members,

I can bite my tounge with the best of them, but once again SH-4 has driven me too after many months of forum silence to add this my latest post.

After months of enjoying playing SH-3 only,I noticed on my shelf the lonely SH-4 game, and thought I'd give it yet another try, so having it already installed since it was released I went to Ubi Soft to see if there were any updates/fixes to the game, and was pleased to see the 1.4 patch which I did not have.
So before playing, I carefully read all instructions, and installed the patch, defraged, stayed "in port", etc.

Then upon playing the game, once again I quickly lost interest due to it's continued flaws, poor play design, and lack of lustre or excitment.
I realise most of the members here are die hard sub sim fans as I am, and I mean no offence to any one here but I as a member am intitled to express an opinion.
I was not sure as where I should add this post, is it "general discussion", or "technical"?, but I believe due to all SH-4's games gliches, and inaccurate flaws, I chose to post it here.
To be honest it was a toss up.

Now I will list the main premise behind this post, and I will try to make it as short as possible with regards to my main complaints about this game.
Any feed back would be appreciated.

1)Where did Ubi soft come up with the accurate system requirements for this game?
My computer has twice the "minimal requirements" spec. wise required in this game, yet I find it runs best on the "low" graphic setting, anything above it lags, and yes I have every unneccessary process shut off I can think off.
I would feel sorry for anyone trying to run SH-4 on a 2ghz computer, as my old pentium 4 1.8 ghz, barely ran SH-3.

2)My lord! what did they do to the playing interface, I spend more time working on remembering how to get to the different stations than having to figure out what action, or where to click next,also having to double click or more to get where I hope to go, talk about sore fingers.
Not good when your under attack, and seconds count!
This is far more a keyboard game, than point & click, it's way over complicated and confusing.
<span class="ev_code_RED">They should have included the keyboard control sheet diagram as they did in SH-3, instead of having to print it out.</span>
SH-3 had it right, interface wise, simple and fast.

3) <span class="ev_code_RED">Why is the periscope so cluttered!!</span>
<span class="ev_code_RED">I don't know how many times I've died,or missed targets especially during a blind night attack becuase I can barely see past the TDC, and the idiotic positioning of the clock!!</span>
Cheers sub_boy

2)I think there is a keyboard sheet diagram included in each SH4 game

3)about the problen of the stupid idiot clock , there is a mod that make the clock smaller , and I hope we can get a mod that eliminate the stupid clock

CoM1962
02-01-2008, 05:11 AM
Hi, I'm new to SHIII and have plenty of questions: First is: When in base, how can I actually upgrade my boat and/or weapons. I have enough honor points but can't seem to actually do it. Any help would be appreciated. Tx, CoM

pookapotamus
02-01-2008, 12:08 PM
Hi Com welcome to the forum!

to upgrade double click on the new item you want and it should pop up with a screen asking if you are sure.

good luck.

ocelotfilms
02-03-2008, 07:46 AM
To update your crew:
When in dock, (At your starting base, assuming pearl)
Go to the pic in the office lower right that looks like crew.

You'll see a page for torpedoes, crew, and gear.

Each item costs reown. Some of the crew like ensignsm and recruits are free ie cost 0.

Remember to reload torpedoes. My first mission out, I hadn't discovered this, got all the way to honshu to discover the game doesn't reload it for you out of port, as most games do.

In response to the OP:

I was a Torpedoman's mate on a US Navy ship, I'm now long ago retired. I have sailed the Souyth China Sea, taken liberty in Singapore, and the Phillipines, been to hawaiii, and I'll say right here, it brings me back...

The waves, the guys on topside watch.. Just a great feel. Even the 1MC calls, and the little touches like "Relieve the watch."

This game rocks on toast with nail biting recreation of the action. "Months of boredom broken by minutes of terror."

Truth.

Good luck to all present and future Silent Hunter Boat Captains.