PDA

View Full Version : lag

XyZspineZyX
07-13-2003, 04:48 PM
what is it! i have no idea, and been posting on this site for a hell of long time!

pls tell me! thanx!

if you have to say "oops" it's to late.

XyZspineZyX
07-13-2003, 04:48 PM
what is it! i have no idea, and been posting on this site for a hell of long time!

pls tell me! thanx!

if you have to say "oops" it's to late.

XyZspineZyX
07-13-2003, 04:56 PM
Lag is actually packet loss.

What is packet loss?

Well, when you play a MP game you are sending information to the server and the server is sending info. back to you to update the positions of the other players, your weapon firing, you missing, them hitting, smoke grenades going off, frags exploding, etc, etc.

The time it takes to send this info. to and from you computer to the server and back again (to your PC) is called ping and is measured in milliseconds.

The info. is sent in packets of data and when you say people are getting "lag" it means that some of the data is being destroyed on its way either to the server or on its way to your PC. This happens because all electronic signals are effected by noise and other electronic interference on the open internet (as well as the law of physics says that energy decreases the farther it travels; diminishing returns).

They call this loss of data lag because it appears that they are "lagging behind" in that they may fire their weapon, but since the server hasn't registered it (or has registered it and is sending the data back but it is destroyed) there is a dealy from the time you actually press the button and see the weapon fire (or rather, the server "sees" the weapon fire and registers it as such).

This also applies to the game as a whole in that it may not just be firing a weapon. It can be seeing players in one place when they have already moved, throwing a frag grenade but the server thinks you are still priming it (frag lock) and other things to where the gaming experinence isn't smooth and in real-time as you would expect.

http://home.attbi.com/~dmoudry/sig.jpg