PDA

View Full Version : U-Boat Missions: Loading Game crashes

mourning_starr
09-03-2008, 11:15 AM
Ok, I'm on my 6th or so patrol, I've just received a shiny new sub (no aft torps, fore and aft flak guns in turrets). After all my exertions, the saved game is refusing to load, I get as far as 'Please Wait', then I get the 'SH4 is not responding' prompt from vista, which subsequently closes the program. I had two saved games, both within 5 mins of each other, neither of them will load. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Yooperbacker
09-03-2008, 11:53 AM
Hello mourning starr,
Try looking at this post. (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6421019045/m/1381091756?r=1891058756#1891058756) . You may have to scroll up to read the beginning of this thread.
It has to do with the SH4 icon on your desktop. Right click this icon and see if the start up file is gu.exe or sh4.exe. If it is gu.exe change it to sh4.exe
The above link explains what is going on.

mourning_starr
09-03-2008, 11:59 AM
thanks for your help

unfortunately, my icon was always pointed at sh4 so it looks like a corrupt save - any way of salvaging these?

Yooperbacker
09-03-2008, 01:09 PM
I have heard of someone having problems with a saved game that would not load and what they did was load a saved game that worked and while playing that saved game, clicked on load a saved game, loaded the one that would not work and it loaded and they were able to get that bad save to work.
Not sure why it worked or if it will help you but it is something to try.

Baxder
09-03-2008, 11:20 PM
I've probably had a dozen or more games crap on me like this, as have what seems likely to be a significant percentage of SH4 players.

I've tried the shortcut fix to no avail, but I have high hopes for the results of this (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6421019045/m/4931063386) thread, which I am soon to impliment in my current patrol. I have not tried loading from another game yet.

I've heard theories about reducing the likelihood of these CTD's by saving at a stop, out of visual range of land while paused, with no contacts, etc etc, but none of these things have been a factor in my experience. I've had games saved in these circumstances crash, and games saved 5 miles off shore in the middle of a convoy load. In other words, my experience is that these CTD corruptions are random, so I just follow one of the classic rules of gaming: "Save smart, save often!" And don't delete your savegames until you know you've got a couple that work to fall back on.

Yooperbacker
09-04-2008, 04:30 PM
Hello Baxder,
When you say "I've probably had a dozen or more games crap on me like this, as have what seems likely to be a significant percentage of SH4 player."
I just wanted to tell you that there are many of us that play SH4 that have never or very, very rarely had a bad save. The fault is in how your computer is setup or some other hardware or software differences. The game saves fine for us.