PDA

View Full Version : WARNING! Copy protection extremely overshadows SH-3 funfactor!!!

oscar0072004
03-19-2005, 05:47 AM
SH-3 is the greatest sim i ever played !! That is for the 3 times i acutally got through the copy protection !! Its the copy protection that greatly overshadows SH-3 exellent programming and gaming factor. This anti copy-software is the biggest peace of junk i ever seen and is UBI,s greates blunder so far! ill sum up the problems for ya!

* The software takes about 10 - 15 mins to check your disk this suckes big time !
* It requires me to enter the cd key every single time i start sh-3. And sometimes the cd key works and sometimes it dont addeing another 10-15 mins to re-read my disk for the cd key ! This means it acutally can take up to 30 mins to even start SH-3 and i dont have even minimum spec!
* I enter the right cd key and still the program treate me like a software pirate!! Now i paid 50 euro,s for this game ! I feal discriminated!
* Sometimes it helps to not enter the -,S with the cd key but sometimes it dont help
* the cd key issue would be such a problem to enter a few times to get it right but NOT IF IT TAKES 15 MINS EVERY TIME TO CHECK THE CD key!
* It would not be a problem at all if you have to enter the cd key only once with all the other software and i really dont understand why it is nessecairy to enter the CD key every single time when starting SH-3 this is so retarted . Its like some peace of NSA software containing highly classified information .
* I can understand fully if people think twice before buying any software from ubi containing this kind of copy protection! Its a shame that it keeps me from playing SH3 9 out of 10 times which is frustrating and overshadows the exellent peace of software sh3 is! PLEASE UBI SORT THIS ONE OUT ASAP! THE COPY PROTECTION HURTS THE HONOUST CUSTOMER MORE THE THE PIRATS!!

Flanker15
03-19-2005, 05:51 AM
Hmmm thats odd, I've only had to enter the key the first time and it took about 5 seconds to check it . Do you have a combo drive or any cd burning software on your computer that run little background apps that don't show up in task manager (clone Cd, Nero v6+, etc)?

stevenwhiting
03-19-2005, 05:59 AM
I have a combo DVD rewriter burner and it works fine in mine.

Dominicrigg
03-19-2005, 06:04 AM
Warning this thread contains highly dangerous levels of bull****!!!

Reading this post wasted 4 hours of my life and passed onto me the evil exaggeration disease http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Also warning, posts like these hurt honest developers who put lots of time into making a game for the fans and makes games like "shootemup 4, revenge of the cannon fodder" much more likely to be your future pc game...

*** 5 seconds to check the disk, copy protection only needed once...***

MooseNoodles
03-19-2005, 06:15 AM
OScar your an # # # h a t go put your head in the sand and let someone kick your # # #.

The game is fine works great - its your lack of ability as an end user to know what your system is about, and why its not running true.

5 seconds max to check disk - ive got starforce versions galore on here from other games, and I have 2 well known copying applications installed as well, oh and 2 pioneer rw dvd drives 109 and 107D.

No problems here.

Sick of all these smacktards *****ing about the game. First thing they all seem to do is post a huge subject line full of negativity, then procede to write out complete dribble like a 10 to 14 year old spoilt, non engaging brain before opening food hole ****arooney.

Go play with your gameboy advance.

<S>

LLv34_Jani
03-19-2005, 06:30 AM
I have to agree!

99% of all problems reported is user/computer problem.

oscar0072004
03-19-2005, 06:32 AM
It is a known issue , Just check the community help . Whats with the reaction people give me ? i just wanted to tell people about it and i get cursed??

"Sick of all these smacktards *****ing about the game. First thing they all seem to do is post a huge subject line full of negativity, then procede to write out complete dribble like a 10 to 14 year old spoilt, non engaging brain before opening food hole ****arooney"

Its not about the game ! its about the starforce software !

" posted Sat March 19 2005 05:04
Warning this thread contains highly dangerous levels of bull****!!!

Reading this post wasted 4 hours of my life and passed onto me the evil exaggeration disease

Also warning, posts like these hurt honest developers who put lots of time into making a game for the fans and makes games like "shootemup 4, revenge of the cannon fodder" much more likely to be your future pc game..."

Once again its not about sh-3 . Its about starforce! Read! and understand!

oscar0072004
03-19-2005, 06:39 AM
If i,m so full of ****? I guess all the people in the follwing threads must also be talking **** is suposse?

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=2881085392&m=4481086392

oscar0072004
03-19-2005, 06:42 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=2881085392&m=1281051492

oscar0072004
03-19-2005, 06:43 AM
So please dont flame me and the other people for having problems with it!

banzai_alex
03-19-2005, 07:13 AM
LoL, this is ridiculous. My mom is a lawyer for the FCC in America (Federal Communications Commision) and i am not aloud to have any illegal software. None of this would happen if you people wouldnt use illegal software! The only problem ive ever had was the .dll error in Pacific Fighters. I played that game for awhile, then i tried to import planes from IL:2FB and the sky and water turned black.

SOF_Timber
03-19-2005, 07:15 AM
From first click of shortcut to end of the protection scan... 12.7 seconds.

MooseNoodles
03-19-2005, 07:18 AM
Oscar do you really think i care lol . NO :P now go sort out your STARFORCE issue and stop moaning on here. If you spent half your time and effort putting into the problem at hand and learnt a bit more about it, you would of had it fixed by now.

<S>

Subsim
03-19-2005, 08:51 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Its not about the game ! its about the starforce software ! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then this message belongs in a Starforce forum, doesn't it?

Oscar, adding copy protection has some risk of causing problems for some honest users. But can you blame the people who invest millions of $$ and thousands of hours of work making this game? Piracy is stealing, Ubisoft and other property owners are trying to protect their income.

Pr0metheus 1962
03-19-2005, 08:53 AM
Mine takes about ten seconds. If you're having to wait that long, I suspect there's something wrong with your computer.

sskip
03-19-2005, 08:55 AM
I think your being a bit hard on the guy, SH3 will not work on my pioneer 106 it gets about 25% through the disc check then freezes forcing me to do a reboot, fortunately for me though I had an old 6x dvd player which it works fine on.

When I contacted UBI about this problem I recieved a response telling me that the Starforce protection does have issues with some DVD drives

Krycek1972
03-19-2005, 10:34 AM
I think your being a little hard on oscar.

Im a software developer and electronics engineer and i built and tinker with computers for a hobby. Ive never had any issues I couldnt solve and never had any real problems with games until SH3.

Dont get me wrong SH3 is fantastic but the nightmare I have had getting it working correctly thanks to this version of Starforce (which has never given me issues before).

Ive posted loads of info about my problem in the Starforce thread but seriously guys this one really makes you feel frustriated when you cant even get the game to run at all.

So those that have it running fine...just step back alittle and spare a thought for those pulling hair out not able to run the game with normal system configurations (there is nothing odd about mine).

I hope you find a solution Oscar or it gets patched in some way to make the original less troublesome for certain hardware configs.

samtheeagleuk
03-19-2005, 10:42 AM
Really pleased to see that there are so many kind-hearted souls out there.

I for one have yet to get this game running on my machine because of the messed up copy protection issues. I'm certain that it's not user error as I have installed the game, tried to run it, then I am instantly faced with an error. No opportunity to type the code in wrong, it just plain falls over on me.

All of you lot flaming oscar should be ashamed, just because you've not had any problems you shout at him because he does? That's just wrong people.

wolfh2o
03-19-2005, 10:48 AM
Ubi's not going to do anything so really there is nothing to be gained by asking them. I had successfully used a Starforce protected game in the past and so I didn't have much sympathy for people blasting Ubi for chosing starforce, saying they won't buy it etc...Well now that I've been bitten by the starforce **** I fully understand where most of these people are coming from. Obviously some of you in here don't. Your having fun playing the game without a major headache and an extra hit to your wallet.

Good luck to everyone having problems. I hope you get them sorted and let us know what worked for you.

Oscar, it does seem your disk is reading unusually long. Even though my drive doesen't work it only takes about 30secs to read it. Probly starforce doesen't like it. You'll have to buy a new one if you want to avoid the problems. (legally)

CoolHand20th
03-19-2005, 11:18 AM
bottom line is that starforce inbeds itself into your computer without your knowledge until you check for it...

and any software that installs itself without either

A. your consent by giving you the option to install it or not

or

B. by putting in the EULA that there will be copy protection drivers installed onto your system

if neither of those is done..then what UBI and starforce is doing is ILLEGAL by installing those SF drivers onto YOUR system without some sort of consent or notification of it..what they are doing is ILLEGAL in the US

oscar0072004
03-19-2005, 11:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Subsim:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Its not about the game ! its about the starforce software ! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then this message belongs in a Starforce forum, doesn't it?

Oscar, adding copy protection has some risk of causing problems for some honest users. But can you blame the people who invest millions of $$ and thousands of hours of work making this game? Piracy is stealing, Ubisoft and other property owners are trying to protect their income. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dont get me wrong here Neal , I think you,re an ok guy . But i expected some more sympathy from you about this issue . I think you people missunderstand me . I dont want to crack sh-3 . The time i had with sh-3 is great but i,m just frustratesd by the starforce software which basicly limits the playabilaty to a factor of just being lucky . Many people here flame me for not being able to get sh-3 running when i want to! I cant help this !! I am treated like im the only one with this issue and if its my own problem . As for the onec who say its my own fault regarding my dvd player I just got a new dvd 3 weeks ago so its not my dvd player.

wolfh2o
03-19-2005, 12:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by oscar0072004:I am treated like im the only one with this issue and if its my own problem . As for the onec who say its my own fault regarding my dvd player I just got a new dvd 3 weeks ago so its not my dvd player. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It really doesen't matter if your DVD player is only 3 weeks old. Starforce only works well with the drives it works with. If you don't have one of them your screwed and it's your problem. (according to them) That's the beauty of Starforce http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

I know how you feel about they way people treat this. They want to live in thier perfect bubble and not hear any problems. If it works well for them ***k the rest of you. But that's typical and to be expected of people.

Simian
03-19-2005, 12:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Subsim:
[QUOTE]
Oscar, adding copy protection has some risk of causing problems for some honest users. But can you blame the people who invest millions of $$ and thousands of hours of work making this game? Piracy is stealing, Ubisoft and other property owners are trying to protect their income. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bollocks! You really are the little shill, aren't you Neal? As can be proven by your 100% review of SHIII. 100%? It may be a good game but anyone who gives a game with known bugs 100% is suspect in my books.

Starforce doesn't stop the big time pirates and the small time pirates only do it to check out a game, not because they would have bought the game in the first place.

This man has a legit complaint with SHIII's copy protection. He paid for the game and all he has gotten in return is grief for it, as have many others. And all you can do is show no sympathy and play the shill.

Nin-Urta
03-19-2005, 12:17 PM
This whole **** discussion is getting us (me) nowhere...

Can't get a refund because box is opened, didn't know about the crappy CP until I opened the box... see my point?

What use is a CP if it even isn't able to verify legitimate media?

Wonder how the DEV's feel about it...

Bulwark_
03-19-2005, 12:30 PM
Not to add fuel to this fire! But the EULA (which I actually read for the first time ever) doesn't include any information about copyright protection.

However, on the back of the box and DVD case it says: "This game contains technology intended to prevent copying that may conflict with some CD-RW, DVD-RW, and virtual drives."

So technically, just by opening the box you're agreeing to the conditions of the protection. It's not a big deal to wait 10 seconds for it to check the DVD. And am I the first to mention that anyone who paid 50 Euro's, you've paid more than anybody else. Considering I only paid around $60 CAD.

wolfh2o
03-19-2005, 12:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bulwark_:
However, on the back of the box and DVD case it says: "This game contains technology intended to prevent copying that may conflict with some CD-RW, DVD-RW, and virtual drives."

So technically, just by opening the box you're agreeing to the conditions of the protection. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No one is denying that. It's still incredibly ambiguous (how bout a list of confirmed working drives included on the box??) and plain bad business if your intent is to sell as many copies as possible. (add in basically zero customer support by Ubi thus far and you have a perfect model of how not to run a business)

Nin-Urta
03-19-2005, 12:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>However, on the back of the box and DVD case it says: "This game contains technology intended to prevent copying that may conflict with some CD-RW, DVD-RW, and virtual drives." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
It does not on my copy...

wolfh2o
03-19-2005, 12:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nin-Urta:It does not on my copy... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is yours the european version?

Nin-Urta
03-19-2005, 12:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wolfh2o:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nin-Urta:
It does not on my copy... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is yours the european version? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes...

CoolHand20th
03-19-2005, 12:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bulwark_:
Not to add fuel to this fire! But the EULA (which I actually read for the first time ever) doesn't include any information about copyright protection.

So technically, just by opening the box you're agreeing to the conditions of the protection. It's not a big deal to wait 10 seconds for it to check the DVD. And am I the first to mention that anyone who paid 50 Euro's, you've paid more than anybody else. Considering I only paid around $60 CAD. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

all games have that on the back of the box..by opening..you are not agreeing to any software intrusions like StarForce....

just about every Copy Protection built into games..is kept onto the DVD or CD-Rom...

Starforce installs itself WITHOUT your consent by not being put in the EULA or by a window popping up during the installation of the game..which then you have to agree to by pushing next...

By not informing you that it is installing itself to your computer is in the US ILLEGAL!!!!!!!......Plain and Simple

negenelf
03-19-2005, 02:02 PM
STFU you whiney babies. Starforce is fine, my computers run better with it installed.

Upgrade your 486's and you'll be fine.

Starforce makes the kiddies mad because they can't pirate stuff with it. Wah wah. Cry me a river, soon everyone will be using Starforce, so suck it up.

Besides, it says right on the box that the copy protection might not work on some rare models of DVD Writers. Read the box next time, then decide to make your purchase decision on that.

Such whining gives me a headache.

CoolHand20th
03-19-2005, 02:13 PM
I got news for you mister know-it-all

i have a copy of SHIII sitting here..if i had known that it would come with SF i would have NEVER bought it..so now i have a 40 dollar drink coaster sitting here doing nothing...

before assuming that are systems suck..maybe you should ask questions first...

and just because it says the certain models may not work..doesnt give UBI the right to have SF installed onto MY computer...that is not a agreement or notification that it installs drivers...

and like other people have said..its the Software distributers and developers to ensure compability with dvd drives and cd-rom drives..not our job to do so....

Every game that has Starforce out there..causes these problems

Hertston
03-19-2005, 02:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by negenelf:
STFU you whiney babies. Starforce is fine, my computers run better with it installed.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah... sure they so. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Muppet.

Nin-Urta
03-19-2005, 02:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by negenelf:

Starforce makes the kiddies mad because they can't pirate stuff with it. Wah wah. Cry me a river, soon everyone will be using Starforce, so suck it up.

Besides, it says right on the box that the copy protection might not work on some rare models of DVD Writers. Read the box next time, then decide to make your purchase decision on that.

Such whining gives me a headache. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
'Rare models of DVD Writers' and 'it says right on the box'... well, guess boy: you're wrong!

Is my ASUS E616 a DVD-Writer? No... Is it old and obsolete? No, they're still manufactured as we speak... Is this statement made on the box? Not on mine it is... so please shut the **** up.

Be glad you just got a headache... I'm wishing you things much worse.

wolfh2o
03-19-2005, 03:06 PM

Such whining gives me a headache. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hahah. Your really funny. I needed a good laugh. Are you here all week?

When you have to buy your own computer someday because your mommy & daddy isin't there to buy it for you might realize the importance of standing up for your rights as a customer.

And about the headache...your welcome. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

hobnail
03-19-2005, 05:01 PM
I don't even have a RW drive of any type in my PC and run into the problem.

Perhaps they should have put on the box "you have a 1 in 10 chance of not being able to play the game although you meet the system requirements".

Fact - The standard for DVD-ROM (?? Book) has been in place for many years. It is well known that copy protection like ****force and those used in the music industry break compatability with the DVD/CD standards causing problems with some drives. Basically, if your DVD has a problem with RAW mode then ****force can't deep-scan the DVD for the embedded protection. Funnily enough the better RAW mode drives are the ones most used to rip ISOs http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif So my compliant DVD-ROM (slot Pioneer, not many sold of them..) isn't 1337 enough for UBI.

tycho4511
03-19-2005, 07:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Also warning, posts like these hurt honest developers who put lots of time into making a game for the fans and makes games like "shootemup 4, revenge of the cannon fodder" much more likely to be your future pc game...

*** 5 seconds to check the disk, copy protection only needed once...*** <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> OScar your an # # # h a t go put your head in the sand and let someone kick your # # #.

The game is fine works great - its your lack of ability as an end user to know what your system is about, and why its not running true.

5 seconds max to check disk - ive got starforce versions galore on here from other games, and I have 2 well known copying applications installed as well, oh and 2 pioneer rw dvd drives 109 and 107D.

No problems here.

Sick of all these smacktards *****ing about the game. First thing they all seem to do is post a huge subject line full of negativity, then procede to write out complete dribble like a 10 to 14 year old spoilt, non engaging brain before opening food hole ****arooney.

Go play with your gameboy advance. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I have to agree!
99% of all problems reported is user/computer problem. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Mine takes about ten seconds. If you're having to wait that long, I suspect there's something wrong with your computer. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow the arrogance on this board is amazing. I built a system about 2 weeks agot just to play this game. With a brand new AMD 64 3000+ , 1024 MB of RAM, and a 6600 GT I should be able to run this on a normal DVD-ROM drive.

Just because something works fine for you doesn't mean there isn't a huge problem. (By the way this is true for many things in life. I can see it now. "Well I worked in an office with asbestos for 20 years and didnt get sick so that must mean there is no problem" or "There is no need to recall that car mine works fine.")

It takes a least 5 minutes to verify the copy protection each time for me and I have yet to even play the game.

Oh and as far as being some ignorant noob/pirate you will just have to take my word for it that my eduction/experience in computers exceeds 90% of those out there.

wolfh2o
03-19-2005, 07:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tycho4511:
Oh and as far as being some ignorant noob/pirate you will just have to take my word for it that my eduction/experience in computers exceeds 90% of those out there. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You don't have to prove anything to me. The problems with starforce are very frustrating and very real. If this game was protected with something besides starforce we would be playing it right now.

Major-Wes
03-19-2005, 07:33 PM
Its a shame that some of the people it works perfectly for act as if CrapForce is so magical. They say " O ITS YOUR COMP " or " YOU DIDNT TYPE THE KEY RIGHT ". Makes me wish EVERYONE would experience this.

Then UBI would have something done in a matter of days, thats a fact.

Wes

Ziuwari
03-20-2005, 03:49 AM
I don't think I got issues with StarForce, but if you do, try their technical support, at least they seem to have some people online on ICQ and e-mail.

About this topic being in thw rong place at this here forum and should belong on a StarForce forum - if the person stating this would kindly name a StarForce forum... It's still a game issue even though it might be copy-protection-related. I don't really think the developers of the copy protection would bother to sort out problems with users of a game that utilizes their copy protection...