PDA

View Full Version : B-24

joey8694
08-04-2005, 07:10 PM
Anyone ever get carpet bombed by a pair of b-24? Just happened to meet in the middle of the night. Scared the **** out of me. Whole ship went vertical. Looked like a jet fighter as I nose dived into a crash dive. Hull went from 100-30. No other real damage and strangly my watch crew made it inside. Had to go up for a peek after hearing the loud booms as I dived. Much louder then anything I have heard so far. Then I saw them. A pair of them flying away. Jerks.

WilhelmSchulz.-
08-04-2005, 10:18 PM
Yes but I shot them down.(U-Flak) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

horribleron
08-05-2005, 04:47 AM
Yup. The B-24's are known for thier "hit and run" tactics. I've been sudden deathed once already by them. Never even made to the bridge. I've had up to 6 of them hit at once and the whole ocean around me blows up. Sometimes my boat with it. Then they just fly off. So if you've survived the initial attack there is no need to crash dive as they don't hang around unlike PBY's and Sunderlands. I've only shot down one B-24. The best defense I have found is speed. I limit how long I stay on the surface in dangerous area's and do over 15 kts when I do. The moment planes are spotted I go to flank. Speed makes it harder for them to hit you plus with the bigger type IX boats you can dive much faster. Nothing is worse then trying to crash dive a IX boat from slow speed...it just sits there hanging its fat **** up in the air making a lovely target. I also keep my AA guns manned alot so they are ready for action. Keep your radar turned off and limit status reports...the enemy hears them too and will come looking for you. If you have been spotted expect another visit with 2-3 hours along the same heading you were on. So don't be there or be underwater. In my favorite hunting spots like CA65 or CC15 I'll cruise underwater at 2 kts to conserve batteries and come up only long enough to charge batteries and get air and get back down. I use the hydrophones to find my prey and have been able to go a week or more without the planes finding me. Avoid transiting the Atlantic north of the Azores. I've been using the "southern route" south of the Azores which has fewer air patrols. Stay away from the shipping lanes unless your actually looking for something to kill.

Happy Hunting!

Horribleron

WilhelmSchulz.-
08-05-2005, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by horribleron:
limit status reports...the enemy hears them too and will come looking for you. Its called the enigma.

lecek
08-05-2005, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by WilhelmSchulz.-:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by horribleron:
limit status reports...the enemy hears them too and will come looking for you. Its called the enigma. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It is called Ultra.

Philipscdrw
08-05-2005, 08:11 AM
No, the Allies had elaborate radio direction-finding stations - you transmit your Enigma-coded message, and half a dozen radio stations along the English coast hear it and record the bearing it came from. The bearings are compared and your approximate position determined.

And Ultra was the name of the MI6 source which gave the Enigma decrypts to the military, disguised to look like they came from a conventional source, I think. To the Germans, it was the Enigma machine.