PDA

View Full Version : SH 4 Encyclopedia Part 1 - Ships page

U-2323
02-21-2007, 07:53 PM
Does it surprise anybody that the information about the ships is in the metric system? I realize the game goes out all over the world, but it just surprised me because to be historically accurate it should be in the U.S. system? I wasn't surprised, for example, when in SH3 all the information was metric... ships' depth under keel was in meters... but for SH4 I expected this information to be in feet, not meters... yet on the ships page everything is metric. I wonder if it will be like this in the game? Anyone have any input?

Stuntcow
02-21-2007, 08:03 PM
Thought I read in the "Questions Answered" Topic that the sim was going to be in Feet and Yards. It may have changed.

Grrbob25
02-21-2007, 08:08 PM
ehh, I'm used to metric already, it wouldn't bother me if it wasn't in feet/miles/yards etc. Most of the time in math, I can't do anything with measurement if I don't convert it to Metric, then back to Imperial http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

AO1_AW_SW_USN
02-21-2007, 08:13 PM
Did the website originate from Europe? If so, that may answer your question.

It wouldn't surprise me that the developers used the metric system... after all, Silent Hunter IV was born in Romania.

RedTerex
02-23-2007, 12:25 AM
The metric units used in the ships display over on the SH4 site is a gerneralisation and in-game it will indeed be in feet and yards.

All the guages and distances used in the SH4 USN sub will be in imperial...it would not be historic or realistic otherwise, the genre of the game is based on 'simulation' and not based on a kiddies shoot em up eye candy extravaganza.

expect something like this...

"Sir, Japanese troop transport at 5000 yards 20 degrees off starboard."

"Take her down 65 feet, periscope depth"

"aye aye "

"Depth report"

"1000 feet to keel Sir "

Crosseye76
02-23-2007, 04:03 PM
Yay !!