PDA

View Full Version : Top Ten Most Overrated Game Characters

nightpriestess
05-01-2009, 10:02 PM
http://stars.ign.com/articles/976/976353p1.html

Altair is number 9.
"Altair is like a poor man's Prince of Persia. Instead of wowing gamers with dazzling acrobatics, he likes to slink around and do as little work as possible when it comes to killing. "

... You're not supposed to be all flashy and Spiderman like.

Xanatos2007
05-02-2009, 12:07 AM
I agree, they didn't focus on the story well enough. But what's the point of this thread?

nightpriestess
05-02-2009, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Xanatos2007:
I agree, they didn't focus on the story well enough. But what's the point of this thread?

What people's thoughts are on this article. Do you agree, disagree, why?

grashopper
05-02-2009, 01:38 AM
I don't recall anyone overratting him

Their wanting fancy acrobatics out of a assassin seems quite stupid...the reasons they choose are kinda lame.

Some of the list makes sense

the amolang
05-02-2009, 02:16 AM
he shouldn't have been on the list, definitely not the top ten! i thought he was a great character, the only thing i didn't like was his voice...

Raide
05-02-2009, 05:45 AM
The list seems to focus less on the actual characters and more on the game itself. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Saying Altair was a boring character because he spent his time sneaking around, assassinating people (Assassin, duh!) and occasionally collecting flags, does not mean he was a overrated character.

Xanatos2007
05-02-2009, 05:51 AM
Keep in mind however that the list was compiled from poll results made by gamers, who tend to be (no offense to anyone out there... well, maybe a little) a little bit stupid. They focus on the number of people they can kill with a single grenade instead of what the game is actually about, unless it's VERY easily explained like in HALO or something.

Wolf-AUS
05-03-2009, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by Xanatos2007:
Keep in mind however that the list was compiled from poll results made by gamers, who tend to be (no offense to anyone out there... well, maybe a little) a little bit stupid. They focus on the number of people they can kill with a single grenade instead of what the game is actually about, unless it's VERY easily explained like in HALO or something.

Yet Master Chief (Halo) and macho Gears man both made it onto the list?

Xanatos2007
05-03-2009, 02:44 AM
Okay, if they did focus on the story then they didn't explain it very well. And Master Chief was a no-brainer. I've only played the first HALO but he did seem like a very dull character. At first I thought he was a robot, even when he spoke. You could've replaced him with a plank of wood & you wouldn't know the difference. What about Altair? He drove the game forward, you couldn't replace him (except maybe his voice). Anyway, I'll quit rambling.

moqqy
05-03-2009, 03:59 AM
Yes, their reasons are very stupid. As Raide mentioned, they're basically just talking about the game and blaming Altair for everything.

I think about seven out ten of their "most overrated" list is just pure BS, and so are their reasons.

livetoshoot
05-03-2009, 07:31 AM
I'd say altair is in the top ten most awesome and kick *** video game characters. The storyline was spot on, I don't know what you guys are talking about

Wildest_Dream66
05-04-2009, 11:48 AM
why.Master Chief whit he's stupid big helmet. i dont like halo its to much Science Fiction and i dont like that nerd sh*t................

Tela
05-04-2009, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Wildest_Dream66:
why . Master Chief whit he's stupid big helemt. i dont like halo its a to moch SF and i dont like that nerd sh*t................

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

... Please repeat that in better english. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

Wildest_Dream66
05-04-2009, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Tela:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wildest_Dream66:
why . Master Chief whit he's stupid big helemt. i dont like halo its a to moch SF and i dont like that nerd sh*t................

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

... Please repeat that in better english. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

not be afraid I was always bad at language's

mast3rofpuppet
05-04-2009, 12:16 PM
Hell yeah! Master chief got what he deserved. All that **** about how "halo is the best game ever" and how "master chief is the shiz" is total BS! It's a totally overrated game and even more overrated character. What's so special about him? He's wearing a green armor which coulb be used by anyone, he's not even human (a freaking android or something like that), he's only got some gay colored guns and some granades that stick to enemies. Like WTF?! That's not cool.
About Alta´r: ok he's pretty boring and doesn't even have an accent (Yeah Ińm gonna bring it up! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif) BUT at least he's got some cool parkour moves and wears an effin' wrist-blade. I bet no one else has one! He's also a sneaky mofo' http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Also he has a bad *** descendant! Ezio FTW! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif IMO gordon freeman should've been in the list too (or did I just miss it?) I mean, the guy doesn't even talk. What's up with that? Well anyhoo I mostly agree with the list and in some ways it sucked a lot of ***** (no I didn't use a "dirty" word I just sensored it for my on pleasure http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif )

LaurenIsSoMosh
05-04-2009, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by mast3rofpuppet:
Hell yeah! Master chief got what he deserved. All that **** about how "halo is the best game ever" and how "master chief is the shiz" is total BS! It's a totally overrated game and even more overrated character. What's so special about him? He's wearing a green armor which coulb be used by anyone, he's not even human (a freaking android or something like that), he's only got some gay colored guns and some granades that stick to enemies. Like WTF?! That's not cool. Please, come back when you know what you're talking about. *signals next in line*

No, his armor cannot be worn by just anyone. The powered armor is too fast for normal reflexes to handle. In fact, so fast that the first normal human to wear the suit had his arm broken because when his brain told his arm to move, his suit reacted before his arm did, and SNAP.

No, he's not an android. He's a normal human, who has received military training since the age of six, and received surgical upgrades at fourteen.

And no, they aren't his sticky grenades. They're the alien sticky grenades that he decided to take. And yes, they are cool. If you don't like them, blame the aliens, not him.
About Alta´r: ok he's pretty boring and doesn't even have an accent (Yeah Ińm gonna bring it up! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif) Everyone who brings it up is fail.

The Animus Altair is just an avatar. It uses Desmond's face and voice in place of Altair's. The real-life Altair probably didn't look exactly like Desmond, and probably did have an accent appropriate to the region.
IMO gordon freeman should've been in the list too (or did I just miss it?) I mean, the guy doesn't even talk. What's up with that? Can you not appreciate a silent protagonist? Link? Gordon Freeman? Anyone?

Seriously, words are not enough sometimes. It's what a protagonist does that matters, not what he says.

</rippingapartyourpost>

Tela
05-04-2009, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by LaurenIsSoMosh:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mast3rofpuppet:
Hell yeah! Master chief got what he deserved. All that **** about how "halo is the best game ever" and how "master chief is the shiz" is total BS! It's a totally overrated game and even more overrated character. What's so special about him? He's wearing a green armor which coulb be used by anyone, he's not even human (a freaking android or something like that), he's only got some gay colored guns and some granades that stick to enemies. Like WTF?! That's not cool. Please, come back when you know what you're talking about. *signals next in line*

No, his armor cannot be worn by just anyone. The powered armor is too fast for normal reflexes to handle. In fact, so fast that the first normal human to wear the suit had his arm broken because when his brain told his arm to move, his suit reacted before his arm did, and SNAP.

No, he's not an android. He's a normal human, who has received military training since the age of six, and received surgical upgrades at fourteen.

And no, they aren't his sticky grenades. They're the alien sticky grenades that he decided to take. And yes, they are cool. If you don't like them, blame the aliens, not him.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Someone's been reading. http://media.ubi.com/us/forum_images/gf-glomp.gif

LaurenIsSoMosh
05-04-2009, 01:06 PM
Just as every responsible Halo fan should. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

mast3rofpuppet
05-04-2009, 02:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mast3rofpuppet:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I never said they were his I said He has.
And btw link does have a voice! he's always shoutting LOL http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif OH and still even though master chief has his armor that "not everybody" could use it doesn't make him cool. He's still lame and overrated. And about alta´r how do you know that? if that's tru then shouldn't Ezio be just like Alta´r? By face and voise I mean. Well we'll see.
And now I come to Gordon. I mentioned only one thing that I don't like about him and you go accusing me of not appreciating any of the silent protagonists.
OH and one more thing about MC I didn't say he was an android I said "a freaking android or something like that" I never said that he was an android, I just pointed out that he's something similiar.

moqqy
05-04-2009, 02:37 PM
Just as every responsible Halo fan should. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Are the HALO books good?

TH3ON309
05-04-2009, 04:30 PM
I never said they were his I said He has.
And btw link does have a voice! he's always shoutting LOL Too Happy OH and still even though master chief has his armor that "not everybody" could use it doesn't make him cool. He's still lame and overrated. And about alta´r how do you know that? if that's tru then shouldn't Ezio be just like Alta´r? By face and voise I mean. Well we'll see.
And now I come to Gordon. I mentioned only one thing that I don't like about him and you go accusing me of not appreciating any of the silent protagonists.
OH and one more thing about MC I didn't say he was an android I said "a freaking android or something like that" I never said that he was an android, I just pointed out that he's something similiar.

dude get over it, he burned you.

caswallawn_2k7
05-04-2009, 04:50 PM
also if he was android he woundt be wearing armour, as androids are designed to look human (terminators or the kid from AI), meaning he would be a robot due to his apearance if you wanted to add a human aspect to it then you would have a cyborg as he would be a cross between and organic life form and a robot (cylons or robocop) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

Jakobi123
05-04-2009, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by moqqy:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LaurenIsSoMosh:

Are the HALO books good? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I love them but thats only because im a huge halo fan but in order to understand you'd have to have an immense knowledge of the halo universe and its terminology otherwise it makes little to sense

Anruaee
05-04-2009, 05:58 PM
PPFFT...Blasphemy! Altair is awesometastic >.<

Wildest_Dream66
05-04-2009, 06:01 PM
Master-chief most not be it. but Mario

Jakobi123
05-04-2009, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Wildest_Dream66:
Mario is the most overrated game character of all effing time, first there's.... wow if i listed everything hes in and how little he does i would have a page long post so just do your research and you'll know.

LaurenIsSoMosh
05-04-2009, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by moqqy:
Are the HALO books good? Sir, you have not experienced life until you've experienced the Fall of Reach. I'm not much for reading, but I couldn't pull my eyes off that book. I finished it in like two days.

The second book, written by a different author, isn't as amazing as the first, but it's still really good.

And the third and fourth, written by the first book's author, are amazing. I haven't read the fifth and sixth ones, but they sound awesome.

And aside from what Jakobi says, no, you don't need an immense knowledge of the Halo universe in my opinion. It explains itself along the way, even if you've never played the games. And if it's not the hottest crap you've ever read, it's only like six bucks at this point. Not a lot to lose if you don't like it.
I never said they were his I said He has. I know, but you were saying it was a lame grenade, and implied that this makes the Master Chief lame and overrated. When in actuality it makes the aliens lame and overrated, not him.
He's still lame and overrated. Yes, it is overrated, but that doesn't mean it's not a good story.
And about alta´r how do you know that? if that's tru then shouldn't Ezio be just like Alta´r? By face and voise I mean. Well we'll see. How do I know that? I don't, I just made it up. But I assume it's true, based on the conversation between Desmond and Lucy about the people in the Animus "talking like they're from the future." The Animus substitutes language, so it probably substitutes avatars as well. Abstergo did their research on Desmond, so they probably programmed Altair after Desmond's likeness.

And about Ezio? Well, he does have Desmond's face, doesn't he? He's probably going to have the same voice, too.
I mentioned only one thing that I don't like about him and you go accusing me of not appreciating any of the silent protagonists. Gee, I dunno, probably because the "only one thing" that you don't like about him is that he's a silent protagonist?
OH and one more thing about MC I didn't say he was an android I said "a freaking android or something like that" I never said that he was an android, I just pointed out that he's something similiar. Alright, well then...

No, he's not a freaking android, or something like a freaking android. He was born a normal boy, raised a normal boy, kidnapped by the military a normal boy, and then turned into a one-man army along with seventy-five other one-man armies. And even after the surgical upgrades, he's still 100% human, even though he's like three hundred pounds of muscle and enhanced perception and whatnot.

Jakobi123
05-04-2009, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by LaurenIsSoMosh: I haven't read the fifth and sixth ones, but they sound awesome.
they are AMAZING although they lack the initial zing that propels you through the story as with the other ones this is not the case

mast3rofpuppet
05-05-2009, 06:02 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by moqqy:
Are the HALO books good? Sir, you have not experienced life until you've experienced the Fall of Reach. I'm not much for reading, but I couldn't pull my eyes off that book. I finished it in like two days.

The second book, written by a different author, isn't as amazing as the first, but it's still really good.

And the third and fourth, written by the first book's author, are amazing. I haven't read the fifth and sixth ones, but they sound awesome.

And aside from what Jakobi says, no, you don't need an immense knowledge of the Halo universe in my opinion. It explains itself along the way, even if you've never played the games. And if it's not the hottest crap you've ever read, it's only like six bucks at this point. Not a lot to lose if you don't like it.
I never said they were his I said He has. I know, but you were saying it was a lame grenade, and implied that this makes the Master Chief lame and overrated. When in actuality it makes the aliens lame and overrated, not him.
He's still lame and overrated. Yes, it is overrated, but that doesn't mean it's not a good story.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
But we weren't talking about the story now were we? Nope.
@TH3ON309: Grow up. I mean, "he burned you"? dude you gotta be effin' joking, right? :facepalm:

nightpriestess
05-07-2009, 01:05 PM
Yeesh I come back and I see people fighting over Master Chief. XD I'm not surprised really.

I recently played Halo 3 and really liked it; I'm planning to play the other 2. I definitely don't think Master Chief is the best character ever but I do find him interesting.

I think this is really the only Sci-Fi fandom that I like (as in, aliens and spaceships and stuff).

ali1238
05-07-2009, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Jakobi123:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wildest_Dream66:
Mario is the most overrated game character of all effing time, first there's.... wow if i listed everything hes in and how little he does i would have a page long post so just do your research and you'll know. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your missing out on the simplistic charm of Mario. No-one thinks of him as special in anyway. Mario has allot of charm and appeal to him- in noway is he over-rated.

Anyone explain in what way Mario has been rated?

katz_bg
05-07-2009, 03:05 PM
If those people were dumb enough to put Kratos, THE Brutal Badass of all games, in that list, then I'm not surprised they just tossed Altair in to replace Mario. they probably didn't want the nintendorks to swarm their site with complaints why Mario is there, so they decided to put someone else in his stead.

nightpriestess
05-07-2009, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by katz_bg:
If those people were dumb enough to put Kratos, THE Brutal Badass of all games, in that list, then I'm not surprised they just tossed Altair in to replace Mario. they probably didn't want the nintendorks to swarm their site with complaints why Mario is there, so they decided to put someone else in his stead.

I don't even take this list seriously, it's basically a list of (nearly) all the popular characters out there right now. (So says captain obvious)

ACiscrap
05-08-2009, 03:01 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif I never usualy agree with IGN but when it came to this game they have got it spot on! They gave the game below 70% and now have Altair as an overrated character which was a pole conducted by IGN's readers! See I told you I was not alone in hating this pathetic game! Nightpriestess just get it through your moronic head that this game sucks to high heaven!

Xanatos2007
05-08-2009, 03:56 AM
Uhh... have you ever played Assassin's Creed? If you hate it then why'd you start an account?

mboltevski
05-08-2009, 04:19 AM
People cant argue about tastes.

nightpriestess
05-08-2009, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by ACiscrap:
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif I never usualy agree with IGN but when it came to this game they have got it spot on! They gave the game below 70% and now have Altair as an overrated character which was a pole conducted by IGN's readers! See I told you I was not alone in hating this pathetic game! Nightpriestess just get it through your moronic head that this game sucks to high heaven!

O HAI ACiscrap aka hoggys2much.

Lazybeans
05-08-2009, 09:56 AM
Just ignore them and maybe they'll go away...or get banned... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

ali1238
05-08-2009, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by ACiscrap:

Funnily enough Assassins creed also got many reviews about 85% and IGN's review was not below 70% but trolls will be trolls. I love how you have so much time that you wander on forums for games you don't like. Also to see Altair as a bad character means you played the whole game... So why do you play ames you don't like?