PDA

View Full Version : Why does everyone hate the Brits?

dan-1993uk
10-01-2010, 10:48 PM
This is what I think about the Brits and I play in 1942 mode. I have had about 30+ wins with the Brits and lost about 1 or 2 times http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Tanks
In 1942 the Cromwell is the above average it may cost a lot to research and build but its really good it has the same stats as the Sherman and T34 but is faster.

The Cruiser is Crap terrible tank besides against infantry or Italy.

The Matilda inst to good either buts its 20 each so not that bad not really slow either.

Air
British air Units are amazing and by far the best in 1942.

Lancaster is the best bomber by far levels any building in 1 run besides the HQ fast moving speed and only costs 50 for upgrade.

Spitfire according to stats is as good as the Mustang but is cheaper therefore better and it beats any other fighter 1 on 1

The hurricane is the only Fighter bomber for Brits in 1942 but its as good as another other really decent speed not really expensive

The Anson is good as fast as the Hurricane and can defend itself.

AT
The 2PDR is the only AT gun for 1942 but is really good if in trees (where's its supposed to be anyway)kills most tanks in few hits.

The archer is a great tank destroyer only costs 10 each and does 4 damage I believe don't know the exact damage but 4 dots good range as well but cant fire while moving but that don't matter.

AA
Bofors are not really very good but in 1942 the USA is the only team with mobile AA so its not that bad shame that they are 15 each and the USA bofor is 10 for some reason.

Arty
In 1942 the British light arty is better than the French and the German 1's because its longer range with the same damage. USA and Russia don't have light arty not sure about Italy.

If your opponent uses arty then you can get sextons which is joint best arty in 1942 (joint with priest) because of its armour which towed arty does't have also has the same range as the Brits Light arty of 1.2KM

The upgrade of the Brits towed arty is good not that long range but far enough nice and accurate so pretty good.

Overall I think the British are one of the best factions on 1942 because they have every thing. In my experience they are really good.

discuss

Axe_99au
10-02-2010, 02:18 AM
Well, it would be a bit silly for me not to chime in here http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif. While I've warmed to the Brits, they are _very_ tactically limited.

Tanks
For 1945, their tanks are pretty rubbish, and even for 1942 their outclassed by the T-34, KV-1, Tiger, Panzer IV and SAU 40. They are a little better than the Sherman and better than the Carro M-15, but they're far from top class. In a 1945 game, the Brits need to avoid tank battles.

Air
Good, but I actually find stronger in 1939 and 1945 than 1942. In '39 the Spitfire is unmatched (as the US and Italians only get their Spit-equivalents in 1942), and in 1945 they've got the Typhoon. While the Lanc is good, the B-17 and USSR PE-8 both do as much damage, and the Arado and Italian P-108 are quicker. While the Typhoon is good, it won't match 1945 fighters in the air, and is more expensive to build and does the same amount of damage as the Sturmovik - I often find that I'm paying for air-to-air capability in the Typhoon I don't use.

In fact, I think the _best_ British unit is the Hurricane - it's cheap and you can get it out quick to help the Brits hold out early on in the game. Also (and ahistorically, given the Brits had a stronger bomber focus before the outbreak of war, by some margin, than any other military in the world), the Brits have to research their first Bomber, unlike the US, Germans, Soviets or French.

AT
Solid, but not as good as the German or Soviet (but better than the US - the Firefly's armour is 15mm thicker than the Jackson's).

Arty
Solid - strong short-medium range, non-existent long-range. I'd say about average here, but obviously the Brits need to avoid long-range artillery duels.

Infantry
Weak against armour, average against infantry.

Recon
The Anson only plods along at 360 km/hr, same speed as everyone else's recon plane except the Italians. It's deffo slower than a Hurri/Lancaster (both 540 km/hr), as if you want to do a Lanc/Anson bombing Rush, you need to send them there at different times because the Anson is slower, rather than just select 'em all and send 'em in. The Anson is also more expensive than the USA, USSR or German Recon plane.

Ground recon requires an armour base (one of only two factions - the other being the French - that can't pop one out from a barracks), and is expensive for what you get (significantly slower and similarly armed to a Greyhound, $5 more expensive).

Overall

The Brits' planes are good, and above average, but that doesn't help them compensate for their very large weakness in tanks, and weakness in long-range arty. This locks them in to a more limited range of strategies which, in turn, are easier to counter.

Don't get me wrong, the breadth of RUSE is such, that there are still plenty of ways for the Brits to win, but up against the Germans or US, the Brits 'strong' units aren't significantly better. However, after time with all the different factions, I'd say that the French and Italians are also underpowered in key areas, so the Brits have company http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

dan-1993uk
10-02-2010, 05:11 AM
Originally posted by Axe_99au:
Well, it would be a bit silly for me not to chime in here http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif. While I've warmed to the Brits, they are _very_ tactically limited.

Tanks
For 1945, their tanks are pretty rubbish, and even for 1942 their outclassed by the T-34, KV-1, Tiger, Panzer IV and SAU 40. They are a little better than the Sherman and better than the Carro M-15, but they're far from top class. In a 1945 game, the Brits need to avoid tank battles.

Air
Good, but I actually find stronger in 1939 and 1945 than 1942. In '39 the Spitfire is unmatched (as the US and Italians only get their Spit-equivalents in 1942), and in 1945 they've got the Typhoon. While the Lanc is good, the B-17 and USSR PE-8 both do as much damage, and the Arado and Italian P-108 are quicker. While the Typhoon is good, it won't match 1945 fighters in the air, and is more expensive to build and does the same amount of damage as the Sturmovik - I often find that I'm paying for air-to-air capability in the Typhoon I don't use.

In fact, I think the _best_ British unit is the Hurricane - it's cheap and you can get it out quick to help the Brits hold out early on in the game. Also (and ahistorically, given the Brits had a stronger bomber focus before the outbreak of war, by some margin, than any other military in the world), the Brits have to research their first Bomber, unlike the US, Germans, Soviets or French.

AT
Solid, but not as good as the German or Soviet (but better than the US - the Firefly's armour is 15mm thicker than the Jackson's).

Arty
Solid - strong short-medium range, non-existent long-range. I'd say about average here, but obviously the Brits need to avoid long-range artillery duels.

Infantry
Weak against armour, average against infantry.

Recon
The Anson only plods along at 360 km/hr, same speed as everyone else's recon plane except the Italians. It's deffo slower than a Hurri/Lancaster (both 540 km/hr), as if you want to do a Lanc/Anson bombing Rush, you need to send them there at different times because the Anson is slower, rather than just select 'em all and send 'em in. The Anson is also more expensive than the USA, USSR or German Recon plane.

Ground recon requires an armour base (one of only two factions - the other being the French - that can't pop one out from a barracks), and is expensive for what you get (significantly slower and similarly armed to a Greyhound, $5 more expensive).

Overall

The Brits' planes are good, and above average, but that doesn't help them compensate for their very large weakness in tanks, and weakness in long-range arty. This locks them in to a more limited range of strategies which, in turn, are easier to counter.

Don't get me wrong, the breadth of RUSE is such, that there are still plenty of ways for the Brits to win, but up against the Germans or US, the Brits 'strong' units aren't significantly better. However, after time with all the different factions, I'd say that the French and Italians are also underpowered in key areas, so the Brits have company http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

Well no offence really but i don't want to have to right out a long essay again but to me your blaming all these faults with there units and i never have a problem with no matter how many tigers they have or KV's i think its the player in control and not the team itself in 1942.

Axe_99au
10-02-2010, 02:42 PM
The Brits aren't terrible, but they're not brilliant either. You can deffo win with them (I have as well), _but_ they're easier to shut down as they're more limited tactically. If I'm playing a US, USSR or German player, and they don't rush, I need to potentially counter pretty much anything in the game. If I'm playing the Brits, I know I don't need to worry about long-range arty or a serious tank attack, as they don't have them. That means it's easier for me to counter what's coming at me, as well as pick a weak spot to focus on attacking with.

I'm far more likely to win against the Brits, Italians, and French than I am against the 'big three', as it's easier to counter these factions. Now that I've gone crazy on getting to terms with the units, I'm also fairly good at winning with them, but I've spent more than the average amount of time learning this game http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

On the by, in another post you mentioned you normally played 2v2 - does your partner always play the Brits as well? In a 2v2, all bets are off, as your partner can cover for your weaknesses and vice versa.

dan-1993uk
10-02-2010, 04:30 PM
Yeah we both usually play Brits its easy, also you said they don't have long range arty? well I think your wrong with Germany and Russia I would only use the ones from the ARTY base which fire as far as the British 1 from the arty base. Plus the Brits have the best light arty in the game (longest ranged)also the Brits have sextons (one of the best arty units in the game just behind the m40 and joint with the priest because its accurate decent speed, cheap and ARMOURED and the armour is a HUGE factor)

Plus ALL German arty blows the light is short range and crap the upgrade is same range as the Brits 1 but costs more I think (don't bet on that) but its hugely in accurate. the morsor is OK only used it like 1 time but its also inaccurate overall you need armoured arty.

example: if my opponent has 10 of ANY German arty i can move up 5 sextons 1.2KM away from his arty and pound it in 2 barrages its ALL dead it would take around 10-15 barrages to kill all 5 of my sextons because they have 1 armour.

Range doesn't really count for much with arty unless its a huge difference.

dan-1993uk
10-02-2010, 04:32 PM
The Brits aren't terrible, but they're not brilliant either. You can deffo win with them (I have as well), _but_ they're easier to shut down as they're more limited tactically. If I'm playing a US, USSR or German player, and they don't rush, I need to potentially counter pretty much anything in the game. If I'm playing the Brits, I know I don't need to worry about long-range arty or a serious tank attack, as they don't have them. That means it's easier for me to counter what's coming at me, as well as pick a weak spot to focus on attacking with.

I'm far more likely to win against the Brits, Italians, and French than I am against the 'big three', as it's easier to counter these factions. Now that I've gone crazy on getting to terms with the units, I'm also fairly good at winning with them, but I've spent more than the average amount of time learning this game http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

On the by, in another post you mentioned you normally played 2v2 - does your partner always play the Brits as well? In a 2v2, all bets are off, as your partner can cover for your weaknesses and vice versa.

also don't take offensively but I probs have more experience ive played 100-110 on-line matches only lost 11 and im currently on a 83 W/S i think and so far my fave faction is the brits.

Axe_99au
10-02-2010, 08:56 PM
With the arty, range makes a fair difference. Well and good that the Sextons have armour (which is a good thing), but if you're out-ranged by 400 metres that can be significant, and if you're outranged by 1.2 km it can be game over.

The non-existent on the long-range arty is a reference to the Brits (and the French) not having the 2.4km monsters that the Germans, Russians, Italians and US can build (the Italians can build theirs from their arty base as well, although the rest have to use their prototype base).

The Brits short-range (1.2km) arty is solid, and does a little more damage (17 compared with 14) than the 800m arty of the French/Germans/Italians, but it also costs $25/pop, whereas the other short-range arty costs $10 or $15.

The Brits best arty units are the 1.6km 150mm Howitzer (does more damage than the Sexton, at a longer range) or, if you're looking for close support, the AVRE (only 700m range, but the most damage of any Brit arty unit). However, the Germans have got the more powerful and longer ranged (but vehicle armoured) Wurfrahmen, as well as the equivalent (apart from a slightly slower speed) Sturmtiger (which they can build from their arty base).

I'm not saying the Brit arty is weak, but you can't play a long-range arty game with them - you have to move your arty forward, which opens them up a little (particularly if they're getting hit by longer-range arty on the way up). Hence, if someone is playing the Brits, they don't need to worry as much about someone from the other side of the map suddenly flattening their base with 2.4km arty if their camo drops.

As for experience, I've probably got 60-80 games online now, so I don't have as much as you do, but enough to have some understanding of the game.

Don't get me wrong though, I don't hate the Brits - I just think they're more tactically limited than the big three, and that this impacts on their flexibility, especially against more advanced players.

dan-1993uk
10-03-2010, 05:39 AM
With the arty, range makes a fair difference. Well and good that the Sextons have armour (which is a good thing), but if you're out-ranged by 400 metres that can be significant, and if you're outranged by 1.2 km it can be game over.

The non-existent on the long-range arty is a reference to the Brits (and the French) not having the 2.4km monsters that the Germans, Russians, Italians and US can build (the Italians can build theirs from their arty base as well, although the rest have to use their prototype base).

The Brits short-range (1.2km) arty is solid, and does a little more damage (17 compared with 14) than the 800m arty of the French/Germans/Italians, but it also costs $25/pop, whereas the other short-range arty costs $10 or $15.

The Brits best arty units are the 1.6km 150mm Howitzer (does more damage than the Sexton, at a longer range) or, if you're looking for close support, the AVRE (only 700m range, but the most damage of any Brit arty unit). However, the Germans have got the more powerful and longer ranged (but vehicle armoured) Wurfrahmen, as well as the equivalent (apart from a slightly slower speed) Sturmtiger (which they can build from their arty base).

I'm not saying the Brit arty is weak, but you can't play a long-range arty game with them - you have to move your arty forward, which opens them up a little (particularly if they're getting hit by longer-range arty on the way up). Hence, if someone is playing the Brits, they don't need to worry as much about someone from the other side of the map suddenly flattening their base with 2.4km arty if their camo drops.

As for experience, I've probably got 60-80 games online now, so I don't have as much as you do, but enough to have some understanding of the game.

Don't get me wrong though, I don't hate the Brits - I just think they're more tactically limited than the big three, and that this impacts on their flexibility, especially against more advanced players.

this will go on for ever so id like it to end here.

but i dont want to say this the best Brit arty is definitely not the 150mm the sexton is by far range matters not where there's armour you move the atry up to meet them plus all of this makes no difference to me because I play 1942.

Plus this "Big three" you keep talking about arnt to good because ive been smashing them for 84 games straight.

anyway hope that ends our little post war http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Brits are good enough for me to beat ANYONE or ANYTEAM (well not anyone but any team which ive done many times http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif )

BP_Charlie
10-03-2010, 10:57 AM
Pffft - unless you can do it regularly in ranked (i.e 1945, 25 minutes) then it's not much to boast about IMO http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

dan-1993uk
10-03-2010, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by BP_Charlie:
Pffft - unless you can do it regularly in ranked (i.e 1945, 25 minutes) then it's not much to boast about IMO http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

well wahts 1945 a load of overpriced tanks? yeh

1942 is more balanced its harder to play then a uber tank steamroller on 45.

Axe_99au
10-03-2010, 02:37 PM
Aye Dan, I happily agree to disagree on this one http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

On the by though, I've been playing a lot of 1v1 ranked games (although not as many as BP), and it's far from just a tank game - you never know quite what's going to happen http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

dan-1993uk
10-03-2010, 02:41 PM
haha its quite a random game but i love it.