PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble lining up shots, help please

Tabitt
03-17-2005, 09:27 PM
Hey guys, Im new to this whole underwater sim thing. I recently picked up a copy of Das Boot but I havent finished watching it due to my anticipation to play this game!

Anyway the game runs fine on my system besides the particle bug. Anyway, I cant ever seem to line up my shot correctly. Do I need to plot a course in order to intercept the target? If so, how? Also, why is it when I shoot at a ship, they always manage to move out of the way before the torp gets there. Im not using manual aiming, Im using the assisted.

Anyway, thanx for the help and dang its an awesome game.

Tabitt
03-17-2005, 09:58 PM
Anyone willing to help? Odd that the threads with complaints recieve more replies than someone who enjoys the game and is looking for help.

blue_76
03-17-2005, 10:03 PM
what range do u usually fire from? its ideal to launch a torpedoe from less than 1500m.. i usually go for < 1000m. make sure u lock your target before launch.. and if u shoot from a 90deg angle, you'll have a better chance of a torpedoe impact.
i hope this helps.

Giantsfan24
03-17-2005, 10:06 PM
yea, firing a torpedo is like trying to hit a 1 foot x on the ground from 200 feet in the air. It requires alot of skill.

Hfael
03-17-2005, 10:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tabitt:
Anyone willing to help? Odd that the threads with complaints recieve more replies than someone who enjoys the game and is looking for help. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The single-most common mistake, I think, is firing too far away.

I see someone else recommending <1000m. Until you get a feel for things, I'd go so far as to say that you should attempt to be between 350-650m. It will feel like you're right on top of them, but you'll hit. As you get a better feel for things you'll be able to back that distance off some.

ParaB
03-17-2005, 10:45 PM
With manual targeting I consider everything beyond 1500m a waste of torpedoes. My preferred engagement distance is 500-800m, clean 90? shots. If your torpedoes hit with a much different angle chances are high they won't detonate.

If your calculation isn't completely off a two-spread of G7As set to high speed WILL hit your target if fired from that range. No freighter will be able to evade them, even when they see them in time.

Important: switch the magnetic fuses on the torpedoes for contact fuses. During the early part of WW2 the magnetic fuses were horribly unreliable.

And open the torpedo tubes in advance. If you don't do it, the crew will need a couple of seconds to do so AFTER you've issued your fire command, this delay CAN screw up your firing solution, especially against faster ships and at longer ranges.

Hope that helps a bit.

Giantsfan24
03-17-2005, 10:48 PM
How do you open them up?

finchOU
03-17-2005, 11:28 PM
what ever tube you have selected at the moment, then press Q.....(W closes them....though i think after you fire it is automaticly done....also I dont think you can open more than one at a time.....still tinkering with the little stuff (though there is alot of little stuff missing))