PDA

View Full Version : Pistol ammunition?

CompanionCube
02-12-2010, 10:11 AM
Every video I've seen has the pistol with no "overall" ammunition counter if you will. Will the game have unlimited ammo? Or am I missing something?

BruceLee11
02-12-2010, 10:27 AM
there is a ammo count, in the bottom right-hand corner! in big numbers to be exact!

http://gamerlimit.com/2010/01/files/2010/01/conviction-coop2.jpg

Stealthgamer001
02-12-2010, 10:27 AM
We're not positive yet, but the handgun HUD has a dash where a magazine count would be on any other weapon, indicating that the handgun has infinite clips, but rifles and other guns will eventually run out completely.

gytamas88
02-12-2010, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by CompanionCube:
Every video I've seen has the pistol with no "overall" ammunition counter if you will. Will the game have unlimited ammo? Or am I missing something?

You are only missing reading other threads before posting new ones on the same topic. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

NeonXXV
02-12-2010, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by BruceLee11:
there is a ammo count, in the bottom right-hand corner! in big numbers to be exact!

Where's the facepalm jpg when you need it?

Yes, there are numbers in the CLIP, but the amount of CLIPS is unlimited, just like it was in Rainbow Six Vegas 1 & 2 (which was also led by Maxime Beland, thank him for that)

AionKnight
02-12-2010, 11:42 AM
*goes of to polish splinter cell conviction skills by playing rainbow six vegas* any1 seen my magic pistol ammo bag ?

CompanionCube
02-12-2010, 12:24 PM
I hope that's disabled in harder modes, that'll make it extremely easy, of course it'll factor into mission rating, which is good. So if you're going 100% the game might be a bit more challenging (I hope they don't change it, because if you don't get points deducted for shooting lights ect then it becomes a matter of trial and error with lights)

CompanionCube
02-12-2010, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by NeonXXV:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BruceLee11:

Yes, there are numbers in the CLIP, but the amount of CLIPS is unlimited, just like it was in Rainbow Six Vegas 1 & 2 (which was also led by Maxime Beland, thank him for that) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Also I didn't make my message really clear so its my fault, sorry lol

sammyboy1981
02-12-2010, 12:31 PM
I hope that's disabled in harder modes, that'll make it extremely easy, of course it'll factor into mission rating, which is good. So if you're going 100% the game might be a bit more challenging (I hope they don't change it, because if you don't get points deducted for shooting lights ect then it becomes a matter of trial and error with lights)

I haven't heard anything concerning "mission ratings"...I thought those were gone considering that the gameplay doesn't support it.

So far, none of the new features they've added appear to be "toggle-able" (LKP, B&W, unlimited ammo). Who knows what harder modes means...probably just more damage you take.

DeafAtheist
02-12-2010, 12:35 PM
If there is truly unlimited ammo clips that's disappointing especially in a game where you can now pick up enemy weapons to use. It really screws with the game's realism. I really hope that isn't the case.

What is it that makes people think the clips are unlimited? Has it been confirmed by Ubisoft?

amittaglani
02-12-2010, 12:41 PM
There is no unlimited ammo

If you see the DASH ( - ) it counts for how many magazines there are
underneath the image of the pistol while playing the game
(bottom right) ....

The level starts of with 3 mags
and the picture above has ...only 1 magzine

Joshua Morrison
02-12-2010, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by sammyboy1981:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CompanionCube:

I haven't heard anything concerning "mission ratings"...I thought those were gone considering that the gameplay doesn't support it.

So far, none of the new features they've added appear to be "toggle-able" (LKP, B&W, unlimited ammo). Who knows what harder modes means...probably just more damage you take. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe they said there will be no mission ratings and that all the other assists are not options so I doubt they will be taken out in harder difficulties. They have said that on harder difficulties you die in one to two shots. Which doesn't really seem like it will make the game hard....

CompanionCube
02-12-2010, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by amittaglani:

(bottom right) ....

That makes sense, for some reason I thought that a picture of the bullet to show caliber, don't know why I thought that lol

NeonXXV
02-12-2010, 01:10 PM

(bottom right) ....

So you're saying that in ALL SCREENS RELEASED for SCC the developers shot 2 magazines ON PURPOSE? That's interesting.

amittaglani
02-12-2010, 01:14 PM
lol i duno
im just a gamer
but its kinda obvious
??
maybe im wrong but yh

oO_ShadowFox_Oo
02-12-2010, 01:22 PM

(bottom right) ....

Incorrect.

It makes no sense for the devs to indicate a weapon has a numerical amount of bullets left for each gun, but that for the pistol specifically they show you how many clips you have by indicating it with a dash?

Also, every single picture we've seen shows only one single dash.

The logical conclusion, which we made from back @ E3 is that there is unlimited ammo for the pistol, but you must reload when your clip is empty.

amittaglani
02-12-2010, 01:30 PM
actuallyl ur right
i just checked
if you see the multiplayer video
of when one of the spys has been shot down
he reloads and the dash stays there just before his team mate revives himmm

so yahhhh
infinite ammo for the pistol which makes it unrealistic rite ??
i wanted them moments where u had no ammo and had to finish the lvl another way
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

" ohh nooo , no ammo ....i have to hid"

oO_ShadowFox_Oo
02-12-2010, 01:39 PM
actuallyl ur right
i just checked
if you see the multiplayer video
of when one of the spys has been shot down
he reloads and the dash stays there just before his team mate revives himmm

so yahhhh
infinite ammo for the pistol which makes it unrealistic rite ??
i wanted them moments where u had no ammo and had to finish the lvl another way
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

" ohh nooo , no ammo ....i have to hid"

LOL

That certainly will never be the case with Conviction.

AionKnight
02-12-2010, 03:15 PM
sam got himself a magic pistol ammo bag at from victor coste

JAHman28
02-12-2010, 03:28 PM
Can we even swap our pistols for other weapons?

mattduck69
02-12-2010, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by JAHman28:

well umm i think so but only with other pistols

sammyboy1981
02-12-2010, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by mattduck69:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JAHman28:

well umm i think so but only with other pistols </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You guys bring up a good topic...
Can we pick up unlimited amounts of weapons? Do we drop our current weapon when we get a new one? It looks like Sam's "Jack-sack" is pretty bottomless...

mattduck69
02-12-2010, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by sammyboy1981:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mattduck69:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JAHman28:

well umm i think so but only with other pistols </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i remember them saying that uve only got ya two weapons like a pistol and a rifle or shotgun or smg ect..
You guys bring up a good topic...
Can we pick up unlimited amounts of weapons? Do we drop our current weapon when we get a new one? It looks like Sam's "Jack-sack" is pretty bottomless... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

invalid_info
02-12-2010, 07:33 PM
Considering Sam's newfound ability to insta-head shot enemies with no input from the player, infinite ammo doesn't surprise me at all. At this point I wouldn't be surprised to see Sam toting a rocket launcher....

Chris_Hun7er
02-12-2010, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by invalid_info:
Considering Sam's newfound ability to insta-head shot enemies with no input from the player, infinite ammo doesn't surprise me at all. At this point I wouldn't be surprised to see Sam toting a rocket launcher....
At least it's better than the crap aiming in Chaos Theory. Perfectly aligned shot with the reticle inside the head from a distance of 1 meter. Pull the trigger and: the bullet ricochets, enemies are alerted, and you get screwed by multiple bullets because apparently random mercs can aim better on full auto than an elite government agent can aim on semi through a scope.

mattduck69
02-12-2010, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Chris_Hun7er:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by invalid_info:
At least it's better than the crap aiming in Chaos Theory. Perfectly aligned shot with the reticle inside the head from a distance of 1 meter. Pull the trigger and: the bullet ricochets, enemies are alerted, and you get screwed by multiple bullets because apparently random mercs can aim better on full auto than an elite government agent can aim on semi through a scope. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i know aye that really anoyed me and btw why is everyone who says "oh im gonna go through the whole game without shooing anyone" so ****ed about a thing there not even gonna use

Cyrus.H
02-12-2010, 08:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NeonXXV:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BruceLee11:

Yes, there are numbers in the CLIP, but the amount of CLIPS is unlimited, just like it was in Rainbow Six Vegas 1 & 2 (which was also led by Maxime Beland, thank him for that) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Also I didn't make my message really clear so its my fault, sorry lol </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It's not your fault, BruceLee11 just needs to learn how to read.

sameer_monier
02-13-2010, 06:13 AM
i figured out the ammunition, I guess the pistol got unlimited ammo (still not sure, but it seems like that), yet any other weapon got limited ammo check this video : http://www.gametrailers.com/vi...-splinter-cell/61901 (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/x10-lumber-splinter-cell/61901)

when he switch his weapon around min 3:20 or something, he got 30 bullet already in use and another about 60/90 bullet spare (the no. is where the - of the clips were)

so pistol ---------> unlimited
other weapon ------> limited

sk8terchristian
02-13-2010, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by BruceLee11:

yeah but he's talkin about the amount of clips left. it only shows the amount of bullets you can shoot befor reloading. i saw a video where he wastes all his bulletes and then reloads, but it doesn't show how many clips he has left.

RaulO4
02-13-2010, 01:20 PM
hopefully in harder modes
you don't have unlimited ammo for the pistol

this is one of the few bad idea they have in the game.

-.- why did they even do that?

sk8terchristian
02-13-2010, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Chris_Hun7er:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by invalid_info:
At least it's better than the crap aiming in Chaos Theory. Perfectly aligned shot with the reticle inside the head from a distance of 1 meter. Pull the trigger and: the bullet ricochets, enemies are alerted, and you get screwed by multiple bullets because apparently random mercs can aim better on full auto than an elite government agent can aim on semi through a scope. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

YEAH i hated that from chaos theory. u aim right to the head with a pistol but for some reason, u miss.

AirborneRedneck
02-13-2010, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by sk8terchristian:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris_Hun7er:

YEAH i hated that from chaos theory. u aim right to the head with a pistol but for some reason, u miss. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Distance, recoil, bad aim, moving target...you know that "stuff".

DeafAtheist
02-13-2010, 11:44 PM
If ammo clips are really unlimited I wonder if the SCC team decided to do that so an inexperienced gamer that couldn't shoot his own foot who tends to miss more than hit wouldn't run out of ammo when confronted with a room full of enemies and can't even take one down to relieve him of his weapon in order to take out the rest.

I don't mind the charged up action in the game with Hollywood style shooting, but to play a character that has unlimited ammo is taking it too far even for me especially in a game where you can pick up weapons from fallen enemies.

If ammo is truly unlimited I'm surprised that no hands on reviews of the game I've read mentioned that.

RaulO4
02-14-2010, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by DeafAtheist:
If ammo clips are really unlimited I wonder if the SCC team decided to do that so an inexperienced gamer that couldn't shoot his own foot who tends to miss more than hit wouldn't run out of ammo when confronted with a room full of enemies and can't even take one down to relieve him of his weapon in order to take out the rest.

I don't mind the charged up action in the game with Hollywood style shooting, but to play a character that has unlimited ammo is taking it too far even for me especially in a game where you can pick up weapons from fallen enemies.

If ammo is truly unlimited I'm surprised that no hands on reviews of the game I've read mentioned that.
i guess there only one way to challenge yourself in this

give yourself rules

like i can only shoot 25 shoots with my pistol.
i cant use the sonar goggles
no M&E on guards but lights yes.
...anyone want to add

i do this to any game
even in a game like halo
rule: pistol only lol

Cyrus.H
02-14-2010, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by DeafAtheist:

This brings up a question that I have, why can't we carry limited pistol ammunition and then replenish it while we're also picking up more grenades and EMP charge at the weapon stash?

http://www.gametrailers.com/vi...-splinter-cell/61901 (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/x10-lumber-splinter-cell/61901)

It's not like there's even going to be a shortage of ammunition to use, since each enemy carries a loaded gun with at least three magazines of ammunition to spare.

LennyLilac
02-14-2010, 01:17 AM
Close quarters combat and M&E are why there is unlimited ammo in the pistol.

DeafAtheist
02-14-2010, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by LennyLilac:
Close quarters combat and M&E are why there is unlimited ammo in the pistol.

Even with those it shouldn't be necessary to have unlimited ammo. Clips could be stored around levels to pick up or could be salvaged out of the weapons dropped by fallen enemies. It's a stupid excuse to have unlimited ammo clips. There are creative ways to give a character enough ammo to use without making it unlimited by default and not even needing ammo pick ups.

JAHman28
02-14-2010, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by RaulO4:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeafAtheist:

give yourself rules

...anyone want to add

i do this to any game
even in a game like halo
rule: pistol only lol </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a good idea.
you should make that into a new thread http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/metal.gif

My rule is: NEVER use the sonar goggles to see through a door when you have a perfectly good optic cable.

Oh, and never M+E more than 2 guys at once.

sackboy411
02-14-2010, 10:10 AM
The pistol has infinite ammo because nobody else is using a Five-Seven. At least it isn't a crappy reason like the MGS4 Patriot. Oh, it's magazine looks kind of like an infinity symbol, lets make it never ever run out or reload!!!!

RaulO4
02-14-2010, 10:19 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RaulO4:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeafAtheist:

give yourself rules

...anyone want to add

i do this to any game
even in a game like halo

That's a good idea.
you should make that into a new thread http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/metal.gif

My rule is: NEVER use the sonar goggles to see through a door when you have a perfectly good optic cable.

Oh, and never M+E more than 2 guys at once. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>you should be the one to do it
add my rules to it...

Yabab_2
02-14-2010, 10:25 AM
Pistol has unlimited ammo. So what?

JAHman28
02-14-2010, 10:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RaulO4:

give yourself rules

...anyone want to add

i do this to any game
even in a game like halo

That's a good idea.

Oh, and never M+E more than 2 guys at once. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>you should be the one to do it
add my rules to it... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No... I can't go on [insert clichéd phrase]
you... must fulfill... your DESTINY!!!
TO MORDOR!, er, I mean, THE 'NEW THREAD' TAB-THINGY.!!!

RaulO4
02-14-2010, 10:55 AM

give yourself rules

...anyone want to add

i do this to any game
even in a game like halo

That's a good idea.

add my rules to it... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No... I can't go on [insert clichéd phrase]
you... must fulfill... your DESTINY!!!
TO MORDOR!, er, I mean, THE 'NEW THREAD' TAB-THINGY.!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>-.- lol
alright i get to it...but I'm naming you as the cohost of that idea.lol

oO_ShadowFox_Oo
02-14-2010, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Yabab_2:

You really don't get it Yabab....

Stealth gaming that is.

RaulO4
02-14-2010, 11:46 AM
Sam doesn't run out of ammo

ammo runs out of Sam

JAHman28
02-14-2010, 11:50 AM

ammo runs out of Sam
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif
Who needs weapons stashes when you are bad-a$$?
Not sam fisher!

savior2006
02-14-2010, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by NeonXXV:

Are you joking? I often wonder if there is something wrong with that man.

savior2006
02-14-2010, 12:29 PM
From this point on I'm going to assume that you ARE, in fact, Maxime Beland or one of his personally cronies. I actually got a migraine reading those two short sentences. You honestly don't give a damn about anything Splinter Cell or the Tom Clancy name stood for, in terms of major AND minor components.

RaulO4
02-14-2010, 12:34 PM
-.-
the new gen and that sad part I'm in it

no what
yea just give us unlimited ammo for everything
plus

give us God Mode
give us full M&E
no what just give us "press one button and see the game play itself"

Andre202
02-14-2010, 12:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Yabab_2:
-.-

no what
plus

give us God Mode
give us full M&E
no what just give us "press one button and see the game play itself" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
NINTENDO MADE IT! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
But actually it is optional and doesn't affect that the game is very easy.

RaulO4
02-14-2010, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Andre202:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Yabab_2:
-.-

no what
plus

give us God Mode
give us full M&E
no what just give us "press one button and see the game play itself" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
NINTENDO MADE IT! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
But actually it is optional and doesn't affect that the game is very easy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>oh yea for super Mario lol

i blem nintendo for everything
it was not until the wii came along when games started to go for the Easy games and leaving the hardcore behind...sad sad lol

DOUBLEACE
02-14-2010, 12:54 PM

ammo runs out of Sam

In Soviet Russia...

DeafAtheist
02-14-2010, 01:26 PM

ammo runs out of Sam
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif
Who needs weapons stashes when you are bad-a$$?
Not sam fisher! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Apparently Sam is now so skilled that he can conjure up fresh ammo clips out of thin air.

savior2006
02-14-2010, 01:43 PM
Maybe he can crap a few grenades out of his *** as well. A whole new kind of sticky grenade....

Toxicdude12
02-14-2010, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by GAY4Aman69:
Yes you can.

Cyrus.H
02-14-2010, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by savior2006:
Maybe he can crap a few grenades out of his *** as well. A whole new kind of sticky grenade....
ROFLMAO. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

newhenpal
02-15-2010, 10:38 AM

Metal Slug forums are that way --->

Jambi Bum
02-15-2010, 11:38 AM
So I have a question for all of you worrying about unlimited pistol ammo. Did you ever run out of ammo in the previous games with your pistol? Because I know I didn't. So if you didn't run out in those games why does it matter if the pistol in this game has unlimited ammo?

J Saint777
02-15-2010, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Dark_one07:
So I have a question for all of you worrying about unlimited pistol ammo. Did you ever run out of ammo in the previous games with your pistol? Because I know I didn't. So if you didn't run out in those games why does it matter if the pistol in this game has unlimited ammo?

It's the principle, the idea that that the developers of Conviction have taken this one element of realism out completely. I'm a major "light-sider" on these forums, and this is one decision even I am bothered by.

Jambi Bum
02-15-2010, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by JSaint777:
It's the principle, the idea that that the developers of Conviction have taken this one element of realism out completely. I'm a major "light-sider" on these forums, and this is one decision even I am bothered by.

I have been around here forever. I just never post because of what goes on here in the forums. With every new release official forums get flooded with trolls who hate things about the game.

Your reason actually makes sense but other posts in this thread make none. There is the post by the guy who says he won't use sonar to look through doors and etc. Did he not use thermal in the previous games because it made them "too easy"? They are basically the same thing, sonar just gives you a wider range.

It just frustrates me to no end the things people complain about. There are posters here, like yourself, that understand the changes and are willing to give them a chance. Then there are the ones who disagree and have valid reasons. Then there are the flat out trolls.

Andre202
02-15-2010, 11:56 AM
I never shot in Splinter Cell... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Yeah sometimes when my Stealth tactics failed I tried to come out of the situations by shooting but nevertheless after that I load the last savepoint. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

savior2006
02-15-2010, 12:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JSaint777:

I have been around here forever. I just never post because of what goes on here in the forums. With every new release official forums get flooded with trolls who hate things about the game.

Your reason actually makes sense but other posts in this thread make none. There is the post by the guy who says he won't use sonar to look through doors and etc. Did he not use thermal in the previous games because it made them "too easy"? They are basically the same thing, sonar just gives you a wider range.

It just frustrates me to no end the things people complain about. There are posters here, like yourself, that understand the changes and are willing to give them a chance. Then there are the ones who disagree and have valid reasons. Then there are the flat out trolls. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
1) It's a Tom Clancy game, and no Tom Clancy game should have unlimited ammo for anything. At all. Ever. Period.
2)Thermal goggles couldn't see through thick walls.
3) I'm glad your frustrated. Because it frustrates me to no end when a company changes things no body asked them to change, and act as though everyone will like it. I just watched a preview video of Halo Reach, and the Bungie guys there say they were always wary of what they should take out or what they should add. I wish Montreal was more like it.

oO_ShadowFox_Oo
02-15-2010, 12:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JSaint777:

It just frustrates me to no end the things people complain about. There are posters here, like yourself, that understand the changes and are willing to give them a chance. Then there are the ones who disagree and have valid reasons. Then there are the flat out trolls. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sonar and thermal are nothing alike.

Thermal only let you see through particularly thin surfaces/materials and through fog or other visual impediments at brief moments in the game.

Sonar goggles let you see through the entire area - everywhere - all at once and locates every single guard. It highlights them for you in glowing white and actively tracks their movements.

It's also completely unbelievable. The technology does not exist.

Thermal was a strategic tool that is actively used in our world, which the player could use at key moments to gain an advantage. Sonar gives you an overpowering advantage of a legal wall hack at all times. It also lets you mark enemies and then follow their movements even when you can't see them. It's ridiculous.

I mean, what's going to acceptable next in a stealth game? That the guards aren't even there or they sing constantly so you can pin point them without trying?

Infinite pistol ammo is unacceptable, especially in Conviction seeing as the game is now action orientated. The whole point of Tom Clancy games is that they're supposed to embody the realm of real world tactical engagements.

If you can't see why having infinite ammo in a Splinter Cell or a Tom Clancy game is unacceptable, then you really are not that familiar with either franchise.

Jambi Bum
02-15-2010, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by savior2006:

1) It's a Tom Clancy game, and no Tom Clancy game should have unlimited ammo for anything. At all. Ever. Period.
3) I'm glad your frustrated. Because it frustrates me to no end when a company changes things no body asked them to change, and act as though everyone will like it. I just watched a preview video of Halo Reach, and the Bungie guys there say they were always wary of what they should take out or what they should add. I wish Montreal was more like it.

Why can't TC games have unlimited ammo? Never knew there was some unwritten rule that stated so.

How do you know Sonar goes through really thick walls? Every video I've seen either has someone using them outside or in a building with open space and thin walls. Thermal could go through some pretty thick walls. Not all walls but most.

And what makes you think Montreal isn't like Bungie in that regard? They took out certain things (dragging bodies) which some people like and some people don't. Bungie has faced the same thing with the Halo games (pistol being the main example) Sequels change things about games. They change things that people love and things people hate. Some people don't like those changes and refuse to give them a chance. Some people may not like them but at least give them a chance. I just wish people would wait until they get the game in their hands to jump to irrational conclusions about things.

I do agree that they should put out a demo though. I think that would help tremendously.

Andre202
02-15-2010, 12:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by savior2006:

Why can't TC games have unlimited ammo? Never knew there was some unwritten rule that stated so.

How do you know Sonar goes through really thick walls? Every video I've seen either has someone using them outside or in a building with open space and thin walls. Thermal could go through some pretty thick walls. Not all walls but most.

And what makes you think Montreal isn't like Bungie in that regard? They took out certain things (dragging bodies) which some people like and some people don't. Bungie has faced the same thing with the Halo games (pistol being the main example) Sequels change things about games. They change things that people love and things people hate. Some people don't like those changes and refuse to give them a chance. Some people may not like them but at least give them a chance. I just wish people would wait until they get the game in their hands to jump to irrational conclusions about things.

I do agree that they should put out a demo though. I think that would help tremendously. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Time for my list of removal (updated version):

Originally posted by Jazz_117:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andre202:
Actually in a late interview with Beland or Parizeau, has stated that the Sonar Goggles can see only through thin walls. For me this could be a hint that on realistic you will have a combined night terma vision. There is hope.

Let's go on with the list of removal:

- Drag Bodies (Confirmed) (Very important to be ingame)
- No choice about KO/Kill (Confirmed) (Takes the decision of the gamer away! Very important)
- No "handle system" (Confirmed) (This actually really surprise me. Even the previous games offered the option to throw something as a distraction. In this build it would make so mch sense to have it, you won't believe it!)
- No whistling (Confirmed) (An option to lure is never bad. And here it would be important too since there is no sign that we will get much distractions option)
- No Jumping everywhere (Confirmed) (Hmmm... it's like whistling you could use it as a distraction)
- No Split-Jump (Confirmed) (I have played the first title again and was surprised how often you could use it. I can live without that.)
- No Swat-Turn (Confirmed) (Well I never used it but it isn't bad though, looks cool)
- No parameters (Confirmed) (I can live without the parameters because actually it makes the game more difficult. But the problem is you will be told by the colour of screen when your are hidden when not. There is no inbetween. Solution: The more you are hidden the more the screen turns black and white. The more you go to a "not hidden" place the more your screen (the world) gets slowly his colours back. I like this idea. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif)
Better is to have something like DA that doesn't turn the whole screen into B/W Filter because people want to be able to see the very detailed word when they are hidden too!
- No real hacking (Confirmed) (It was often there to open doors (Hello Third Echelon HQ) and to get information)
- Possible no lock pick because it would slow down the gameplay Speculated - Almost Confirmed(Again suspension goes out the window! So all doors are wide open for Sam?)

Not all things are important to me but dragging bodies, KO/KILL and throwing something for distractions makes me really sad that it is not in the game!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Wishlist from the fans:
- Dragging bodies
- KO/KILL (I am sure at this stage they are not able to do it)
- M&E more risk/challenging (Although we don't know the final version)
- In-human climbing speed
- LKP Ghost (togglable)
- Enemies with no peripheral vision (I am not sure what you exactly mean)
- Deadly and Efficient CQC
- Nifty Projected Stuff Someone should sticky that...

And to go down the list of things that have been added.
- In-human climbing speed
- M&E
- LKP Ghost
- Enemies with no peripheral vision
- Deadly and Efficient CQC
- Nifty Projected Stuff
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think this is quite alot compared to the new things. Tom Clancy stands for realistic scenarios and Splinter Cell had this and should have it in Conviction too.

Jambi Bum
02-15-2010, 01:10 PM

Alright so question first off. How does Conviction not have realistic scenarios? The one thing that I do really have a problem with is the side to side climbing animation. Not so much the animation itself but the speed of it. People do climb with the hand over hand thing, just not nearly that fast. Also Sam doesn't have the gadgets he had before so I imagine that's why he can't hack. You made a long list and a good one at that. I can see that you don't really mind that most of that stuff is gone. It's only a few things that bug you. Which I understand completely.

Glad you posted that tidbit about the sonar goggles though. To shadowfox since I missed your post before I made my last one. Sonar IS realistic. It's used all the time in submarines and other things. It's the same implication as in real world instances. Sonar bounces off of moving objects and relays the information back to the user. Every time the sonar bounces back to the user it shows a new location of the thing it is tracking. Instead of having it relay the information on a radar screen like in subs they just have it as a vision mode. Thanks for the personal attack saying that I don't know anything about the franchise though. That was really needed.

Andre202
02-15-2010, 01:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andre202:

Alright so question first off. How does Conviction not have realistic scenarios? The one thing that I do really have a problem with is the side to side climbing animation. Not so much the animation itself but the speed of it. People do climb with the hand over hand thing, just not nearly that fast. Also Sam doesn't have the gadgets he had before so I imagine that's why he can't hack. You made a long list and a good one at that. I can see that you don't really mind that most of that stuff is gone. It's only a few things that bug you. Which I understand completely.

Glad you posted that tidbit about the sonar goggles though. To shadowfox since I missed your post before I made my last one. Sonar IS realistic. It's used all the time in submarines and other things. It's the same implication as in real world instances. Sonar bounces off of moving objects and relays the information back to the user. Every time the sonar bounces back to the user it shows a new location of the thing it is tracking. Instead of having it relay the information on a radar screen like in subs they just have it as a vision mode. Thanks for the personal attack saying that I don't know anything about the franchise though. That was really needed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Actually if you watched the videos, you see that the Sonar Goggles can look very well through walls. And you cannot compare the radar with the Sonar Goggles because the Sonar gives a 3D Vision of the area. It will take 10 or 15 years until something like this Sonar Goggles. And as ShadowFox said, the Goggles automatically highligthen the soldiers for you. When you mark them and take the Sonar Goggles you can still see the mark above the head through the walls. So because of the mark you know where this guard is and that is not realistic. It is unrealistic that Sam uses the CAR in the flashback because it was invented in 1995 and used around 2000 and so Sam couldn't use it 1990. But well it is a tutorial. And as you mentioned his speed is unbelievable fast. LKP is unrealistic too. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
And there are other I could go on. It's just they didn't give any attention to detail in this game.

Jambi Bum
02-15-2010, 01:31 PM
Actually if you watched the videos, you see that the Sonar Goggles can look very well through walls. And you cannot compare the radar with the Sonar Goggles because the Sonar gives a 3D Vision of the area. It will take 10 or 15 years until something like this Sonar Goggles. And as ShadowFox said, the Goggles automatically highligthen the soldiers for you. When you mark them and take the Sonar Goggles you can still see the mark above the head through the walls. So because of the mark you know where this guard is and that is not realistic. It is unrealistic that Sam uses the CAR in the flashback because it was invented in 1995 and used around 2000 and so Sam couldn't use it 1990. But well it is a tutorial. And as you mentioned his speed is unbelievable fast. LKP is unrealistic too. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
And there are other I could go on. It's just they didn't give any attention to detail in this game.

The mark part of the sonar does bug me. If it was just the sonar to get a general idea of where enemies are located I think people would be ok with it. But the marking while using sonar is unrealistic. Then again this is a video game. I avoided the flashback video because I didn't want it spoiled. I know it's there but don't want to know what's going on in it.

Also for your 3d sonar will take 10 or 15 years, I present to you this 3d sonar for port security (http://www.codaoctopus.com/3d_ac_im/index.asp)

S.V.
02-15-2010, 06:42 PM
I hope that's disabled in harder modes, that'll make it extremely easy,

This game isn't a challange. Is a hollywood game.

newhenpal
02-15-2010, 07:26 PM
I have a hypothetical question for all of you: did you ever run in the previous games? Because I know I didn't. Suppose they made it so that Sam can run as fast as Speedy Gonzales -- would you get angry? If so, why? You didn't run in those games, so why should it matter if you could run at unrealistic speeds in this game?

oO_ShadowFox_Oo
02-15-2010, 10:07 PM

Glad you posted that tidbit about the sonar goggles though. To shadowfox since I missed your post before I made my last one. Sonar IS realistic. It's used all the time in submarines and other things. It's the same implication as in real world instances. Sonar bounces off of moving objects and relays the information back to the user. Every time the sonar bounces back to the user it shows a new location of the thing it is tracking. Instead of having it relay the information on a radar screen like in subs they just have it as a vision mode. Thanks for the personal attack saying that I don't know anything about the franchise though. That was really needed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It wasn't a personal attack at you. I'm just saying that if you don't know why having infinite ammo is unacceptable in a Tom Clancy franchise, then you don't really know much about what the Tom Clancy branding stands for. If you think I'm insulting you by saying that, I'm sorry, that is not my intention, but I'm just stating a simple matter of fact.

Running out of ammo is a very real tactical situation that needs to be dealt with in a Tom Clancy (or any other) tactical game. Having infinite ammo removes this situation from the experience entirely and therefore reduces the need for the player to improvise with the assets available to meet the challenge presented - which is where a lot of enjoyment from tactical gaming comes from.

Adapt. Improvise. Overcome.

Sonar itself is a realistic technology in the sense of its applications to open mediums through which the sound passes. It works by sending sound waves uninhibited through these open mediums (water, air etc...) and when these waves hit an object, they are reflected back. The source then detects these returning sound waves and uses echo location algorithms to determine the location of the object.

But if there is a big giant rock shelf between one sub and the other, then they can't detect each other, because the sound waves are bouncing off the shelf.

What is completely unrealistic is having sound waves penetrating through a wall, for example, when the wall is of unknown material and unknown thickness, then being able to identify specific objects on the other side of that wall all through echo location. This is simply not possible AT ALL and this is why this technology simply does not exist.

The fact that it's completely overpowering as a stealth game mechanic also does its part to distill a strong disliking for the vision, as it is the only goggle vision mode in the game that is ICONIC for it's use of NVGs. As a hardcore fan of Splinter Cell I really want to turn on my goggles and have a look around, but not if it means that I see through every wall around me and know exactly where every guard is immediately.

That takes all the fun out of sneaking.

Cyrus.H
02-16-2010, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by newhenpal:
I have a hypothetical question for all of you: did you ever run in the previous games? Because I know I didn't. Suppose they made it so that Sam can run as fast as Speedy Gonzales -- would you get angry? If so, why? You didn't run in those games, so why should it matter if you could run at unrealistic speeds in this game?
Yes, because Sam Fisher isn't Speedy Gonzales. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

Fisher isn't Altair or Ezio either, so I'm astounded as to how he manages to climb ledges ridiculously faster than he did in the original Splinter Cell. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Not to mention the fact that he's also able to headshot people 200 metres away without even using the iron sights of his weapon... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif