PDA

View Full Version : Little Bug (?) with Arado

bogusheadbox
01-18-2007, 08:01 AM
It appears the Automatic Bomb site for level bombing is off a bit. If your cross hairs are on target the bombs will miss

BlitzPig_DDT
01-18-2007, 08:08 AM
When I tried this last night (for the first time, I must admit), I engaged the level stabilizer and, it didn't level stabilize. When I took my hand off the controls it did what it wanted to do regardless of the "stabilizer" being on or off. That would surely mess up the sight's accuracy. (but not be the fault of the sight)<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

http://operationcarepackage.org/ddtsig.gif

bogusheadbox
01-19-2007, 03:14 AM
Thanks for the reply but I and my squadmates can get the plane to level fine. No problem there.

Its the autobombsight (not manual) If you have it perfectly on target and tracking correctly. Once the auto bomb sight drops bombs, the sight suddenly lurches off target and the bombs will miss.

Danschnell
01-19-2007, 03:44 AM
Yeah its a hard sight to use, but it does work.

I'd never used a level bombsight before but I love the Arado so much I decided I'd learn how to use one. I made about 10 level bombing runs from 2500m in my career until finally one got a direct hit lol.

anarchy52
01-19-2007, 04:10 AM
I have noticed the issue as well.

First, make sure you trim your plane up and then engage the stabilizer.
Secondly, make sure your airspeed has settled.

If you set the correct TAS either by using IAS-TAS tables or wonder woman view TAS, the sight will not track correctly. You need to adjust speed manually all the time starting from much lower TAS and increasing it as you approach the target in order to maintain the "lock" on target.

Oddly enough, with Japanese Betty I'm able to hit cargo ships from 4k, with Ju-88 and especially Arado it is very hard. Especially with Arado you have to aim short of the target.

Bomb sight on Arado is not modeled after historical Arado bomb sight which was more sophisticated (pilot's task was keeping the crosshairs on the target and FCS/auto pilot would steer the plane and release the ordinance in the appropriate moment. However due to engine limitations/time limitations and lack of references Arado was implemented with the "generic" bomb sight, same as with remote controlled defensive arnament.

bogusheadbox
01-19-2007, 05:17 AM
Yes, and that is where the problem lies. I have no problem keeping the plane level and trimmed. I can keep the autobomb crosshairs on target by adjusting TAS speed on the bombsight, that isn't the problem.

The problem is (in auto bombing mode - not tables) - if you do everything right on the autobombsight and have it perfectly centred through tracking of target to point of correct angle and bomb release. The sight will suddenly and instantaneously move off of target and so will bombs.

So, therefore if its the same bombsight system we have currently on the b-25 and a-20c. Then i think there may be a little bug as it certainly doesn't work the same.

RxMan
01-19-2007, 09:23 AM
It kindof sounds like it is jumping into autopilot mode, and realigning with the waypoint route. I would be sure the autopilot switch is not being turned on when you go to the bombadier position. Once the bomb is dropped the sight might automatically put the autopilot in control. Just a thought, cannot check these things out for a while.

JG54_Lukas
01-19-2007, 06:51 PM
Hmm, I just tried out a practice mission on the Northwest Europe map, altitude 3000 meters, 420km/h IAS, 3 SC500 bombs set with no fuse delay. After one unsuccessful run (bombs fell short), I hit the target (various soft targets) dead center and knocked out about 9 targets. I observed no deviance in the bomb sight upon the point of Bombs Away, and the only thing I really had to adjust was the TAS setting (it was a bit too high).

@bogusheadbox, I think it's something in your control inputs that's throwing your aim off. If you set up everything right, the bomb sight should track the target and release the bombs just like any other bomber equipped with an automatically tracking sight.