View Full Version : Extent of Malaria

dab0r
07-24-2008, 02:22 PM
I understand this much

You have it from the start of the game and it never gets cured
You should try to aviod getting too infamous or you won't be able to get it
You need to keep getting new medicine

So im asking...

Is it just going to be a matter of stopping by some place or doing some mission for a civilian once every couple of hours of gameplay to stay cured , is it going to be like once every 10 hours of gameplay, you get the point...?

Will you be able to stock-pile medicine so you will be able to spend a lot of time exploring?

So the malaria will kill you if you get too infamous, which basically means you cannot get too infamous...I would think if you get infamous you'de be able to scare the living bejebus out of everyone and they would give you MORE medicine...

So the overall point is : how much gameplay time are you really going to spend worrying about the malaria compared to actually playing the game. Sorry if this has been asked, im new http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

THE_C0RVAX
07-24-2008, 02:28 PM
the more you treat your millaria the more helth you have so maybe the millaria stuff is just side missions that you dont have to do but would be in your best intrests to do.

dab0r
07-24-2008, 03:09 PM
probably whatever it is, its balanced. I know they are going for a deeper story with a lot of capacity for planning, but im pretty sure the game is gunna respect that sometimes you just wunna "play the game" instead of...erm.. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

anpretty
07-28-2008, 05:07 AM
I really hope this malaria thing is just a tiny tiny tiny thing in this game. Because if that deciase have to be cured every 2-8h ( Something between that ) game isn't a great.

Cjay313
07-28-2008, 05:04 PM
I hope it isn't a chore. I just wanna have fn and not be tethered to a weird system.

adarwinter
07-28-2008, 05:14 PM
i dont understand the reason to put the malaria disease in FC2 at all.

ok, actually it's a nice way to prevent u from wondering off the map (it's a nice natural border that will kill u when u wonder outside the world's boundaries) but while u r in the world.... i dont get it.
it's a way to get the citizens to represent the change in your "infamousy" but nothing more, IMO.

but i also believe it will be balanced and not a nuisance.

dab0r
08-20-2008, 03:27 PM
sorry to be necromancing this thread a bit, but its stil an interesting subject to me. The more i hear about the game, the more malaria sounds like its could to be similar to the T-Eng in Lost planet. Like a meter that would be constantly running down at a huge speed which would be the only thing that you can pay attention to and it makes you unable to enjoy the rest of the game. This is why i didnt buy Lost Planet after trying out the demo.

So..the question is..is it going to feel like T-Eng, or less of a game-killer?

alecrules111
08-20-2008, 06:05 PM
mabye instead of just killing you the malaria slows you down a bit so u move slower after time and mabye u reload and stuff like that slower because you feel weak

WalkingEviction
08-20-2008, 06:31 PM
Well, you have to take your meds once the symptoms start acting up. The frequency of how often you feel the malaria will vary, they say.

dab0r
08-21-2008, 08:21 AM
What you two have said is exactly my problem. Will you become slowed down and have to take medicine every 2 minutes? or will it merely be a color distortian that appears every 2 hours where you have to take pills for 3 seconds?

And if it depends on the difficulty, im gunna impale ubisoft. im planning to play high difficulty for a combat chalenge, not cause i wunna have to mash the "medicine" button more often.

Brimtown
08-21-2008, 08:28 AM
Okay, here's just my take on this, my two cents, for whatever it's worth. I can't imagine that they would make this so that it's a huge imposition on the player, to the point of being distracting. At the same time, they probably want to have some mechanism for keeping you in the game, to keep you active. So you'll probably have to get an injection once a day to keep the malaria under control. We still don't know what the inventory system is like, how many injections you'll be able to carry with you.

Maybe it's just their way to make sure you don't spend your entire time just standing out in the savannah watching the zebras frolicking around, or wandering off the edge of the map.

stevejoe13
08-21-2008, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by THE_C0RVAX:
the more you treat your millaria the more helth you have so maybe the millaria stuff is just side missions that you dont have to do but would be in your best intrests to do.

Kinda like prince of persia. If you find those hidden fountain things your health bar increases.

dab0r
08-21-2008, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Brimtown:
Maybe it's just their way to make sure you don't spend your entire time just standing out in the savannah watching the zebras frolicking around, or wandering off the edge of the map.

If they wunna keep me off wandering off the edge, that is their choice. But if i want to watch zebra's frolick with In all their quad-core, dx10 goodness, and i can't cause of malaria, thats a killer downside. once a day means, assuming you dont use sleep in safehouse, 4 gameplay hours. that sounds pretty good for malaria.

UnrealFatal1ty
08-21-2008, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by dab0r:
I understand this much

You have it from the start of the game and it never gets cured
You should try to aviod getting too infamous or you won't be able to get it
You need to keep getting new medicine

So im asking...

Is it just going to be a matter of stopping by some place or doing some mission for a civilian once every couple of hours of gameplay to stay cured , is it going to be like once every 10 hours of gameplay, you get the point...?

Will you be able to stock-pile medicine so you will be able to spend a lot of time exploring?

So the malaria will kill you if you get too infamous, which basically means you cannot get too infamous...I would think if you get infamous you'de be able to scare the living bejebus out of everyone and they would give you MORE medicine...

So the overall point is : how much gameplay time are you really going to spend worrying about the malaria compared to actually playing the game. Sorry if this has been asked, im new http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif
Actually you can heal the malaria its just you have to do side missions to get the right "Antidote" for it like kill these guys and go to this place then do that so both factions "may or may not" have the cure for it but its for sure that 1 faction will and its optional to get it (i think) But yes you can heal it and it will be gone forever

Supreme_321
08-21-2008, 05:23 PM
Two cents for my post

Dabor: that's a lie when you said it's a balence because you may have to take bullets out of your leg and you realy think this is a balence, ot's even more like running into a suicide misson

Abou this thread also raises another question about like if you carry gear and it slows you down and the more you carry heavie gear like medicen or heavie weapons the more leg strength you get, I wonder if they will do something like this in full game.

Muffin_man_XD
08-23-2008, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Brimtown:
Maybe it's just their way to make sure you don't spend your entire time just standing out in the savannah watching the zebras frolicking around, or wandering off the edge of the map. But what if I want to do that? Shouldn't it be my choice as the player how I play the game? I don't want to be restricted by Malaria.

I hope this is entirely optional. Like maybe you only have Malaria on harder difficulties. That way if I just want to explore I can put the game on easy and just walk around without having to worry about disease or militia.

dab0r
08-24-2008, 04:42 PM
But, Muffinman, what if i DO want to have higher combat difficulty, but i DONT want to have malaria distrupting it.

and, to supreme, its not about the question of whether gear slows you down, and it DOESENT raise that question. Its merely "how much of a big deal is your malaria". please read the title before assuming what its about.