PDA

View Full Version : Anti-video game message in AC



Kadane3000
12-07-2007, 07:42 AM
I'm writing this assuming you've beaten the game. Please don't read if you don't want to be spoiled.

Did anyone else feel that the ending had a really strong, really obvious anti-gaming message? The captive previous to Desmond was driven to insanity because of "prolonged exposure to the Animus" which caused "memory bleeding." I believe this is written in an email from Lucy. People who play the Animus too much can not distinguish themselves from the Animus.

The Animus is basically just a videogame D plays.

Heh, I find myself pretty tense after playing this game for too long. I hope I'm not turning into Altair.

Just me?

MiniAssasin
12-07-2007, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by Kadane3000:
I'm writing this assuming you've beaten the game. Please don't read if you don't want to be spoiled.

Did anyone else feel that the ending had a really strong, really obvious anti-gaming message? The captive previous to Desmond was driven to insanity because of "prolonged exposure to the Animus" which caused "memory bleeding." I believe this is written in an email from Lucy. People who play the Animus too much can not distinguish themselves from the Animus.

The Animus is basically just a videogame D plays.

Heh, I find myself pretty tense after playing this game for too long. I hope I'm not turning into Altair.

Just me?

i think ya looking too much ito it

i can safely say a video game publisher will not be trying to steer you off video games :P

Kadane3000
12-07-2007, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by MiniAssasin:

i think ya looking too much ito it

i can safely say a video game publisher will not be trying to steer you off video games :P

Yeah, that's why I thought it was so weird.

MiniAssasin
12-07-2007, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by Kadane3000:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MiniAssasin:

i think ya looking too much ito it

i can safely say a video game publisher will not be trying to steer you off video games :P

Yeah, that's why I thought it was so weird. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

unless the writer has infiltrated ubi to spread his subliminal i hate video games messages to the world lol

Kadane3000
12-07-2007, 08:13 AM
heheh, Ok. I guess it was just me.

smoeky
12-07-2007, 10:20 AM
lol while i dont think that was quite the point, good job on pulling that meaning out

believe it or not, some people are incapable of pulling that sort of meaning out of stuff like that (lol sorry im into critical writing in college and this was like "whoa thats a good one!")

Robbinho1992
12-07-2007, 10:40 AM
Maybe JT infiltrated them...Bloody him and not liking violent games...

NeoshinobiX
12-07-2007, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Kadane3000:
I'm writing this assuming you've beaten the game. Please don't read if you don't want to be spoiled.

Did anyone else feel that the ending had a really strong, really obvious anti-gaming message? The captive previous to Desmond was driven to insanity because of "prolonged exposure to the Animus" which caused "memory bleeding." I believe this is written in an email from Lucy. People who play the Animus too much can not distinguish themselves from the Animus.

The Animus is basically just a videogame D plays.

Heh, I find myself pretty tense after playing this game for too long. I hope I'm not turning into Altair.

Just me?

Animus isn't a video game. Desmond is watching stuff that actually happened to Altair(not in the same way but the out come was the same.)

A video game would be all made up stuff except maybe the locations and time period. So saying subject 16 went crazy from playing a video game isn't really crediable.

It's more realistic to say that subject 16 went crazy from experiencing his ancestors memory(which was by my guess, horrific) and learning the truth behind the templars blah blah.

AirRon_2K7
12-07-2007, 12:46 PM
A video game would be all made up stuff except maybe the locations and time period. So saying subject 16 went crazy from playing a video game isn't really crediable.

I'm so tempted to shoot you down by mentioning Manhunt http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif Joking. But yeah, I think he's figured that Ubi probably wouldn't want to turn customers away from buying future titles http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Kadane3000
12-07-2007, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by NeoshinobiX:
Animus isn't a video game. Desmond is watching stuff that actually happened to Altair(not in the same way but the out come was the same.)


I think the idea is that Desmond does a lot more than watch the Animus. Not everything that happens in the Animus actually happens to Altair. I'm sure we've all seen Desmond go on a couple killing sprees that require resynchronization afterwards. Altair didn't actually do that in 1191.

I thought it was kinda ballsy of Ubi to put the message in there. Or they just neglected to pick up on it.

Either way- really awesome game.