PDA

View Full Version : just my two cents

crazycanuck1968
04-10-2006, 10:27 AM
kk i realize i already said this in another post but...i am going to expand a bit.

i am kind of..nope i am dissapointed in this game. i find that the "feel" of this game is old school..nothing new. i have a much richer flight experience with battlefield 2 and regardless of the other issues i have with EA games i am sorry but they have beat ubi to the finish line with the over all quality of the experience.
the terrain details are also not what i expected for a 58.00 canadian cost game.the terrain details are ok..but i am sorry seems like ubi cheaped out a bit.
i get the feeling that ubi dumbed this game down too much..i mean i was getting the same experience and terrain detail with some of the first microsoft flight sims.trust me i checked for comparison..i loaded my old one and compared.
i still will look in the future for more ubisoft programs but i am sorry to say i do not find this blazing angels value for my money at this time. i will give it more time and continue playing it but unfortunately my first impressions are not good.
but i can say that i feel that what was promised at the outset and what was delivered in the package were two different things..if the future patches do not fix these issues then i will never purchase another ubi product again and will make it a mission in life to ensure noone else i know does either..

AKA WHERES THE DAMN COCKPIT...
WHY CAN I NOT FIND ANYONE ONLINE.
WHEN I DROP A BOMB ON SOMETHING I EXPECT SOME DAMAGE...WHEN I SHOOT THE ROOF OF A BUILDING I WAANA SEE BULLET HOLES...??

crazycanuck1968
04-10-2006, 02:33 PM
kk...guys...you can throw your two cents in here too...three even.

Acemike99
04-10-2006, 02:40 PM
did u try turning the graphics up in settings?

macd1102
04-10-2006, 02:51 PM
sorry but if you feel that the flying in battlefield 2 is great, i must say you dont expect much from a flight sim, battlefield was way to arcade, not speaking up for this one, but will stick with whats considered the best

crazycanuck1968
04-10-2006, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by macd1102:
sorry but if you feel that the flying in battlefield 2 is great, i must say you dont expect much from a flight sim, battlefield was way to arcade, not speaking up for this one, but will stick with whats considered the best

well ok..maybe not great..but when i hop in a jet or a helo on bf2 the "feel"(sorry don't know any other way to describe it) the visuals i get when flying under a bridge...the ability to land an aircraft..when you hover a helo it takes some skill..when you accelarate in a helo the nose dips ..its just the overall way it plays out.
and i don't use controllers..i use mouse and keyboard..
the bomb damage is much more realistic..the effect 20mm rounds have on impact is visible..the tv missles are very realistic..the tree branches and grass and dirt that blows around when your close to the ground is realistic.
kk i agree maybe the controls are a bit arcade..but i still say its a much better experience.
i played ms flightsims..with mouse and keyboard and they are better then blazing angels in my opinion...at least i can find people online..lmao

crazycanuck1968
04-10-2006, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Acemike99:
did u try turning the graphics up in settings?

yup with my system have the settings maxed and resolution to ohhhh damn ..well high enough well beyond 1024x768 anyways..i am running an alienware aurora alx system with dual nvidia 7900 gtx 256mb cards and liquid cooling..hell for over 5,000 U.S for the system Ubi had better not be spewing BS about my system..
i did see that the patch does some screwy things with routers and im gonna fix that little issue tonight....

kk just checked..resolution at 1280x1024

Finny.
04-12-2006, 02:44 PM
Flying experience in BF2?! LMAO! Battlefield is deplorable attempt.

Try Battlefield 1942 its somewhat closer to what flying is supposed to be. Not as close as BA though http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Steiner
04-13-2006, 12:51 PM
http://xbox.boomtown.net/en_uk/articles/art.view.php?id=11039
Article
Harry Neary (Akeldama) // Thursday, April 6th, 2006 //
Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII review
Dogfight or dog's breakfast? We take a look at Ubisoft's Xbox 360 flight-action game.

Unlike the developer of Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII I have no wish to waste your time, so let me start by saying that the game is rubbish. Of course there€s more to a review that just that, I have to do all the justifying the final score malarkey and trying to think up some terrible puns for paragraph headings, either that or just fall back on my old favourite of using Iron Maiden song titles.

So here we are with Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII, Ubisoft€s new flight action game for Xbox 360. Alas long gone are the flight action games of the past such as F15 Strike Eagle aimed at a gaming market that could read and form the most basic of thoughts, so what we have here is essentially a simple shoot €˜em up. However there€s nothing wrong with that. The actual premise of Blazing Angels is a perfectly good one, an action game giving the player a chance to take part in some of the most famous aerial actions of WWII.

Spring Offensive
What happens though when you play Blazing Angels is that you come up against a wall of terrible design decisions and follies that add up to making this game a real stinker. I€ll go through these faults in the order they annoyed the hell out of me. So first of all let€s talk about the script and voice acting.
It€s dreadful, I wanted to cut my ears off rather than hear the terrible dialogue and acting featured in this game. Once again, thanks to a publisher bending over to the American audience, we can€t have something as simple as Brits flying in the Royal Air Force. Just like Michael Bay€s appalling movie Pearl Harbour we have to suffer a plot about an American saving our sorry limey butts in the RAF. And the dialogue itself, it€s just trash, cliché ridden trash, and full of terrible stereotypical nonsense that comes from the Hogan€s Heroes school of European characterisation.

Stereotypes
This utter bilge is delivered in two ways, firstly in what looks like a poor placeholder comic-sans font onscreen. It€s ugly and appears to be just the kind of thing that would have a post-it on the project planning chart saying €œremember to upload finished font for dialogue into final build€. The post-it must have fallen off. As did the one that said €œhire some decent actors€, the dialogue is mangled into all manner of stereotypes that border on the offensive.
One might cut some slack if an American publisher had brought this game to us, but this is Ubisoft for crying out loud. The most annoying voice is the first one you hear, a redneck aircraft mechanic that outstays his welcome in your home in about ten seconds of you first hearing him. To be fair though, even Richard Burton couldn€t deliver dialogue this bad without sounding like a complete ham.

Dead Stick Landing
Time to take to the air and this is where we hit another major problem with the game, the control method. When I played the downloadable demo of the game the thing that struck me was how odd the control method was. Pitch and Roll in real aircraft exist on the same control stick. The demo had them separated, with the left stick giving pitch and turning, roll appeared on the right hand stick.
Fair enough, it€s a simple approach aimed at novice gamers. Plenty of examples in the genre offer this option. However the demo didn€t give the player the choice of pitch and roll on the same stick. €œNo matter,€ I told myself. €œThey€d have to be complete idiots to not offer the choice in the finish game.€ After all, other games of this type do. Well? No this choice doesn€t exist in the game.

Varied Missions
I€ve only just got the plane into the air and already the game has annoyed me with terrible dialogue, a hackneyed insulting plot and a control method for five year olds. Hey but at least the aircraft model is pretty attractive and the controls convey some feeling of flight despite the lack of choice in the choice of how to do things. Blazing Angels is certainly easy to pick up and play. Wow a compliment, did you see that?
The first few missions are fine. There€s a training run that explains the controls, shows how to padlock targets, fire guns, drops bombs. All well constructed despite the awful voiceover. And the next few missions are pretty good too, with action covering the retreat from Dunkirk. It adds some much needed credibility to the proceedings. And then its onto missions in such locations as Paris, Berlin, North Africa, Pearl Harbour, Normandy etc.

Shell Shock
But then you hit the really silly missions like flying into a sandstorm to make you question the sanity of the developers. But then comes the hate as missions become ridiculously hard due to the game coming from the "player has to win the entire war single handed" school of lazy game design. You€ll get very sick of choosing to restart missions for the umpteenth time as you€re expected to complete myriad conflicting tasks all in one mission with only a small group of idiot AI wingmen to help/hinder you. Stupid missions later in the game such as one involving a race through a fjord and some particularly annoying activities over Berlin will have you wanting to give up completely long before I had to.
There are times the game is fun. Some of the easier missions hint at what could have been if the designer behind this title either knew something about the subject or didn€t have some crazed ill-informed bean-counter making gameplay decisions. The multiplayer modes are pretty good too. Moments of fun serve to highlight how bad many of the aspects of Blazing Angels really are. The multiplayer options offer some entertainment, but you€re going to get much more fun out of Crimson Skies on the original Xbox.

All That Glitters
I suppose finally I should talk about the graphics. Alas I can€t tell you about the cockpit graphics because someone forgot to put a cockpit view in the game. Yes it€s all third person, with your large aircraft often obscuring your view. Another terrible decision there then €" way to go to alienate part of the target audience.
€œBut Harry,€ I hear you say, €œthose screenshots look fantastic; at least the game is a wonder to behold.€ Well you€d think so, wouldn€t you? Unfortunately all the moody skies in the world can€t hide the fact that the game looks pretty rough when you play it. The ground scenery is nothing spectacular, certainly on the level of the original Xbox and some way below what you€d expect from a modern PC flight-sim or the Xbox 360 hardware. I do really like the moody style Ubisoft has gone for here, but again, the tone of the plot/action/dialogue doesn€t match this ambition. Imagine if the game had taken its tonal cue from these moody skies, it might have been worth playing.

As it stands Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII is a deeply flawed game. From the terrible image tearing to the offensive voice-overs, it€s as big a failure as I€ve seen from a major Publisher for some time. The lack of proper flight controls and cockpit view is bound to put off those with a general interest in flight games. The borderline racist characterisation will put off anyone with taste. And finally the increasingly sadistic missions would put off anyone who plays games for fun. Like I said at the beginning, Blazing Angels is rubbish.
Rating
Graphics: 5
Terrible tearing and poor ground scenery, but with some good lighting effects and plane models.
Durability: 5
Will keep you occupied for a while if you can stand it.
Sound: 1
Some of the worst dialogue I've ever heard.
Gameplay: 3
Increasingly annoying missions won't take your mind off the technical faults in this poor game.
Overall rating: 2

BRAVEHEART-USA
04-13-2006, 07:24 PM
i agree with canuck. if ubisoft cant fix all the problems associated with this half *** constucted game i will never buy another on. i have 2 other games by ubisoft and the graphics are great especially farcry. i just dont know what they were thinking in the development of this fighter game. no cockpit view, joystick problems, graphics. i wish i could take the game back to the store for a refund. someone should be kicked in the ***!

CptMds
04-17-2006, 09:17 PM
wow.....that's a lot of negative things. I have never heard of so many horrible complaints for one game...LOL! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif At least Il-2 is one of the best flight simulators out there and it obviously is better than this. Thanks guys, you just turned off another "potential" customer. From what i've seen, BF1942 with my $20 joystick has easier control than this..now that's embarassing http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif for a flight sim. Guess it'll be BF1942 and Il-2 for a looong time to come. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif