PDA

View Full Version : Eeck. Windows Movie Maker keeps crashing.

Flying_Nutcase
07-15-2006, 10:08 PM
Hi,

I decided to make a little movie for my personal pleasure. I'm following the tutorial by Dart at SimHQ.

The problem is that Windows Movie Maker keeps crashing after importing video or audio.

Any suggestions? Thx!

310th Falcon
07-15-2006, 11:13 PM
S! Nutcase

Not much info here to help you. Do you have latest MM2 install?

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=GSpot

Run GSpot to determine what codec is being used. Symptoms definitely point to it being an incompatible codec and it would need to be converted. If you see Divx or XviD or MPEG-4 then you have an incompatible codec that MMII doesn't like. Need to convert it AVI format if this is the case.

Best Regards

Flying_Nutcase
07-16-2006, 03:29 PM
It's version 2.1

GSpot looks a bit too technical for me at this stage. I just want to put together a simple little movie without having to deal with technical stuff.

Is there a free (and malware) free alternative to Movie Maker?

RAF-Blackace
07-16-2006, 05:07 PM
Windows movie maker because its microsoft DEMANDS that everything is perfect otherwise it wont work, same with windows media player, ive lost count of the number of Divx files that WMP refuses to play but will open very well in virtual dub.

You need to know how codecs work and what effect they have, you need Gspot. you need to learn this stuff if you want to progress with even a simple film.

Unfortunatly i dont think there is a simple alternative to movie maker. but the sooner you get away from using it the better.

Flying_Nutcase
07-16-2006, 10:36 PM
Thx Blackace. It's a bit of a bummer, but that's the way things go sometimes. I really don't get why it wouldn't work though since I'm sure I followed the exact instructions from Dart's tutorial, using Fraps, the same compression etc.

I'll give it another shot though, via GSpot.

The_Gog
07-17-2006, 03:12 AM
Check the available disk space. MM2 operates by default out of the C drive, if room is running out then it will crash at every opportunity.

Check the file sizes you are importing, are they huge? Make sure you compress and save your work often or it will crash at an inopportune moment.

I process (compress) all my viseo captures on my laptop and then put the smaller files together as a movi on my PC, only way I can stop MM2 crapping out as I am running out of room in my C drive.

deepo_HP
07-22-2006, 11:00 PM
hi flying nutcase,

the general problem with 'windows moviemaker' is, that it tries to make multimedia-creation available for everyone (as an answer to fe 'quicktime' for mac-users). furthermore the whole process aims to bind the user to prorietary formats like 'wmv', ie stay with 'windows media'.
however, if properly installed and setup, it is (version2) pretty stable though and should not show frequent crashes.

Originally posted by The_Gog:
Check the available disk space. MM2 operates by default out of the C drive, if room is running out then it will crash at every opportunity.
you can set the temporary space, which shall be used by 'wmm' in 'extras-> options-> general' to the drive which got most space available. uncheck 'automatic codecdownload' there as well.

Originally posted by JavDog:
If it is in divx,xvid, or some other high compression "output" codec, then you won't be able to import it to an editor. These files are not meant to be edited in any way, they are a final render only that can only be played back in a player.
this is not true... even if further editing of such compressed files is not recommended, those videos can generally be edited in most non-linear editors (which 'wmm' is one of the simpliest). more professional software gives a lot more problems though with editing mpeg4-compressed files, in most cases the releasing company just doesn't like the complaints when the quality degrades too much (which is due to the low pixel-information of the files after decoding).
however, 'wmm' rarely shows problems with importing 'divx' or 'xvid' (don't use 'clip-generation' on import). javdog is right in that way that you should try with all means to use low- to non-compressed footage (like 'fraps'-recorded).

in my opinion the crashes are either caused by not having upgraded to 'winxp sp2' (bug in sp1, which makes explorer check whole files and get stuck then), or by having installed some of those 'codec-packs'.
in the latter case you can check the usage of codecs (or filters) in 'wmm' ('extras-> options-> compatibility'), where you will find a list of all, which are recognized by 'windows'.
in that regard, the most advanced players ALL use the 'video-renderer 9' (installed along with 'windows mediaplayer 9/10)', those like 'zoomplayer' just have far more options to configure the used filter-sets than 'mediaplayer'.
for all you need, of course, the proper codec/filter to handle the files. the problem is, as soon as you install more than one codec/filter capable of handling some file-type, they concur to each other (like having both 'windvd' and 'powerdvd' on your system, fe). to avoid that, only install additionally what you need - codec-packs rarely make this point clear enough!
you will find a good documentation of how to setup your system for the respective demands at the 'zoomplayer'-documentation (which is a general setup though, independant of 'zoomplayer' and also links to open-source, whenever possible):
Configuring your system for Media Playback (http://www.inmatrix.com/articles/mediasetup.shtml)
(the player is a bit overloaded in the settings, but never found such an intensive documentation else)

back to your problems:
you can then reset 'wmm' to the default filter-configuration at the 'compatibility'-page, or (in the case of codec-pack installed), try to uninstall all codecs via 'controlpanel-> software', download the 'windows media codecpack' from microsoft and install it, and only install additional codecs, when you need them.

falcon said already, to determine the codec of a footage not your own, you eventually have to go a bit deeper into things, and - as he said - 'gspot' shows good information. this shouldn't be necessary, if the footage is done by yourself http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

[for blackace:
the 'wmp' is basically very forgivenable! if you can play stuff in 'vdub', but not in 'wmp', the decoder might be not installed as 'directshow/wdm', but as the older 'vfw', which 'vdub' uses. that's why you can't play 'mkv' or 'h264' in 'vdub' (other way round). this could have been happened, when you have both 'divx' and 'xvid' installed, but the system uses still an older decompressor for the other format (happened with some early 'divx6' and when you have 'windvd6' - which annoyingly registers a separate 'divx'-filter http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif). however, if you can play files in either application only, doesn't mean necessarily, the program is corrupt, but registered filters are not compatible with either vfw or directshow/wdm]

Flying_Nutcase
07-22-2006, 11:19 PM
The_Gog, JavDog and especially deepo_HP for writing in so much detail,

I will try again, following your tips. I recently downloaded three codec packs to try and get the Storm Of War Ju-88 video to play (it still wouldn't) so maybe that's the prob.

S~

Flying_Nutcase
07-26-2006, 06:21 AM
Since deleting two Codec packs I installed recently, Movie Maker has worked fine! Hooray and thx for the tip.

I plan to make my first 'proper' movie over the next couple of weeks.

S! gents.