PDA

View Full Version : Problems with SHIII

Warren_537
03-16-2005, 06:59 AM
OK guys I need your help!

I am having sound problems with SHIII where the sound becomes distorted and slow. When thsi happens the game reboots the computer when I finish a mission.

Having the technical knowledge of a twig I was wondering if someone might be able to shed some light on this problem as it is ruining what could well be the game of the decade for me.

Can anyone help?

u2336
03-16-2005, 07:01 AM
your specs please.

Warren_537
03-16-2005, 07:02 AM
P4 2.8
1 Gig ram
Radeon 9800 Pro 256mb
Win Xp - SP1 ( cant stand SP2 )
On board sound. ( C-Media )

bweiss
03-16-2005, 07:11 AM
Try lowering your sound card accelerator a notch. For the geeks, there is a latency setting freeware one can monkey with which many claim to have increased their FPS or stability by using. PCI Latency Tool v2.3 (http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=951)

I've used it for a while now and lowering my graphic card latency to 64 (versus the NVIDIA default of something like 256), has indeed improved stutters in IL2PF. But no real increase in FPS on my system. Still, might be worth a twirl for the brave of heart. (You can always change the latency settings back to default). No one is sure why the pipline and sound card latencies are set to 32, while NVIDIA (don't know about ATI), are set so high. But the tweakers seem to get various good results using it.

malkuth
03-16-2005, 07:15 AM
Find out what kind of Onboard sound you have, and update the drivers. If you can't figure it out do this.

Go to RUN
Type in DXDIAG
When DXDIAG pops up Hit the "SAVE ALL INFORMATION" Button on the Bottom Right.
Look on Desktop you will see a New .txt file with the DXDIAG info in it. Copy and past it into this forum for we can see it.

Thanks.

rapzy
03-16-2005, 07:15 AM
i think you can better buy a pci sound card because you need a directx 9.0 compatible card to run silent hunter III.

Axxent
03-16-2005, 07:27 AM
Most newer motherboards have onboard sound that supports 9.0.

Warren_537
03-16-2005, 07:30 AM
I ran DXDIAG and turned the sound acceleration to OFF. This seems to have done the trick, so stuttering or slow down at all now. Might try turning it up to normal in a minute and see if that does anything.

It was set to maximum before.

RustyTorpedo
03-16-2005, 09:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Warren_537:
I ran DXDIAG and turned the sound acceleration to OFF. This seems to have done the trick, so stuttering or slow down at all now. Might try turning it up to normal in a minute and see if that does anything.

It was set to maximum before. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Note: you're also missing out on a lot of great sound effects here.... It's like listening to your favorite song on AM radio.

For me sound is just as important as eye candy. But probably that's just me.

I strongly suggest you upgrade to a good aftermarket soundcard...

frog7
03-16-2005, 09:51 AM
Its On Board Sound.....you cant beat a seprate card..my mate had same problem with Doom he put a SB live in and the problem went.....Good luck.