PDA

View Full Version : massive complaint

Bismarck83
05-21-2009, 04:28 PM
OK i am sick of this to the point where i must say something, at first i thought it was a bug and happened only once, well it didn't, it happened 7 times...8 now today, i am sailing along and my ship gets attacked by jack ****, nothing on the scope, nothing on radar nothing on the damn map, all bulkheads get damaged all flooding breaks lose i am on the damn surface of the water with NOTHING in sight and the camera spins around and it ends for me, something tell me what the hell is going on!!!! i am starting to feel this game was a horrible waste of my money

Ducimus_Rapax
05-21-2009, 04:39 PM
http://www.warhistory1944.co.uk/images/atlantic_wall_6_lg.jpg

Bismarck83
05-21-2009, 04:41 PM
why when i look under the sub when its turning around it doesnt show water mines?

Gidgiddoni84
05-21-2009, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Bismarck83:
why when i look under the sub when its turning around it doesnt show water mines?

Because they blew up already?

Bismarck83
05-21-2009, 05:08 PM
they are really sea mines in this game?

tenakakhan_1981
05-21-2009, 05:09 PM
OK i am sick of this to the point where i must say something, at first i thought it was a bug and happened only once, well it didn't, it happened 7 times...8 now today, i am sailing along and my ship gets attacked by jack ****, nothing on the scope, nothing on radar nothing on the damn map, all bulkheads get damaged all flooding breaks lose i am on the damn surface of the water with NOTHING in sight and the camera spins around and it ends for me, something tell me what the hell is going on!!!! i am starting to feel this game was a horrible waste of my money

The SH4 forums are relatively famous for being home to a number of incredibly helpful souls, but in truth swearing etc. will do little to help us help you.

Whenever somebody is having an issue with the game it's usually helpful for the poster to give information on the patch version and mods they are running, where and in what time period the issue occurs and whether there are any common patterns. With this information, I'm sure you'll find people willing to at least shed some light on the matter.

In truth however, Ducimus is usually right, and it does sound like you've been running afoul of mines.

Bismarck83
05-21-2009, 05:35 PM
it just really erks me that completed 14 or so missions forgetting to save and it just blows up

it really annoys me that my sonar can stop me every and each time it sees a plane in the air or ship under water but not a mine.

Version 1.5 (is there anything newer?) say more subs to play with on the german side or the jap side

Cuz all i see on the german side is 2 subs..this correct?

one more question here
when it says 4 50 cal machine guns deck gun..what the heck does that mean, i see the deck gun but no 50 cal machine guns

Gidgiddoni84
05-21-2009, 05:50 PM
it really annoys me that my sonar can stop me every and each time it sees a plane in the air or ship under water but not a mine.

Planes and ships make noise, mines don't. You're sub is using a passive sonar, it hears things but doesn't send anything out (active sonar) that would broadcast it's location.

Yes, I imagine that would be annoying ( I've plowed into a few sub nets but haven't hit a mine yet). But, like others said, the calmer and more fully you explain what happened the better others can help you.

For starters:

Where have you been when it happened? Open water, bays, straits, etc? The closer you can identify your location the better.

What year was it?

What version are you running?

Any mods?

Ducimus_Rapax
05-21-2009, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by tenakakhan_1981:

In truth however, Ducimus is usually right, and it does sound like you've been running afoul of mines.

Usually, but not always! Realistically, the chances of hitting a mine in the stock game are really really really low. That said, yes they ARE there, and the player will get no warning on them at all.

The only other thing i can think of that would cause the player to just blow up out of nowhere is really heavy use of Time compression in areas where shore batteries might exist, or even a plane. With reallyl high TC, the game will skip. Think of it as fast fowarding a DVD movie, and how it skips from scene to scene. If your detected by a plane, its entirely concieveable the game will skip the "frame" of the plane approaching, and go straight to the "frame" of it dropping bombs.

My advice, is to not use TC higher then 1024 or maybe even 2048 in your patrol area's , in empire waters, or anywhere near land. TC higher then 2048 should be reserved for that transpacific trip back to the barn.

Gidgiddoni84
05-21-2009, 06:11 PM
I've never had a problem with planes, and I routinely run over 7,000 around enemy waters. A shore battery sounds very possible, I've dropped out a couple times to find I'd been shelled by something.

bubblehead1980
05-21-2009, 06:32 PM
Bismark, you have met some of the IJN's infamous mines.In stock as it was mentioned by others, very low chances of finding them but I did twice, I run TMO mod now and they are very present in certain areas.

There was no sonar to detect mines until very late war, it was called SM sonar.This was not modeled in the game and been told there is no way to mod it in there, so you just have to take your chances, as real subs did.

Bismarck83
05-21-2009, 06:38 PM
ok ok so i hit mines 7 times in a row..very unlucky i am, what about my other questions, are there other german subs besides ONLY 2? and is there a mod to add more...AND when ca we play the jap subs =D

WernherVonTrapp
05-21-2009, 07:43 PM
one more question here
when it says 4 50 cal machine guns deck gun..what the heck does that mean, i see the deck gun but no 50 cal machine guns OK, it's been a long time for me so I'm not 101% certain about this. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong: 4/50 means that you have a 4" gun x50 barrel length. In other words, 4X50 = 200 or a 200" barrel length. Longer barrels = higher velocity, longer range and better accuracy. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Bismarck83
05-21-2009, 09:03 PM
ok ...but about the german subs, you only get to drive two though they had many classes to play?

Wolferz
05-21-2009, 09:12 PM
ok ok so i hit mines 7 times in a row..very unlucky i am, what about my other questions, are there other german subs besides ONLY 2? and is there a mod to add more...AND when ca we play the jap subs =D

It's not just the mines that you can hit. There are numerous little sand bars and shallow volcanic islands in the Pacific. Using high Time compression without taking a very close look at your waypoints can run you aground.

Yup, only two german subs in the expansion. Whadja expect for ten bucks?

There won't be any useable IJN boats unless they decide to cram them into SH V.

As for IV Version 1.5, what you got is what you get.

WARNING: Any further vehement complaints may be answered with pie. Or worse, a visit from Milton. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Bismarck83
05-21-2009, 09:45 PM
ok well 1.5 is what i got, anything higher then that then? o.0 i need more targets more subs more sinking AHH they all must be sunk!

klcarroll
05-21-2009, 09:56 PM
@Bismarck83;

OK, …….First things first: …….Switch to Decaf!!

You arrived here annoyed and upset about things the game was doing to you; …..Just like 95% of the users here! You are not alone in your frustration! ….But you have to understand that most of your problems are due to the fact that the game has a very long “learning curve”.

One thing you have in your favor is that this is May of 2009, …and not March of 2007!

When this game was released in ’07, it WAS a real P.O.S.!!! Ubi released it at least six months too soon, and it was buggier than a cheap motel! ……And we welcomed MANY very dissatisfied users to these forums!

Since then, there have been multiple major patches issued by UBI, and the game is now probably the best Submarine Simulation on the market. The V1.5 Add-On brought some additional color to the game, …..but it was never intended to bring the entire German Navy into play.

You said; “I am starting to feel this game was a horrible waste of my money!”

………Well, ….The game is currently retailing for $19.95! …….I pay more than that for a mediocre bottle of Scotch!! …….If you can afford a computer with enough “firepower” to run this game, PLEASE don’t expect us to believe that the “financial issue” is really a significant concern!

Also, ….I have to mention that while you probably don’t realize it, ….the people who responded to your initial post are some of the true veterans here! ……Ducimus, for example, is the author of a brilliant “Super Mod” for the game: ….And if he talks about the game’s technical points, you would do well to listen and take notes! ……..And a polite “Thank You” would not be out of order.

You will find this to be a dedicated and helpful community: Any question you ask in a civil manner WILL be answered! ……..But over the past two years we have heard more than enough “rants”!

klcarroll

nohunt1
05-21-2009, 10:11 PM
Nuff said..... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

MWolfe1963
05-22-2009, 02:29 AM
Sounds strange. If you've had seven deaths in a row out of nowhere, I doubt it's mines, although I have run into a few.

We've all had it happen. As someone said it's usually using high time compression, so just run it lower in patrol zones. It could be an attack by a dd, plane, shore guns or even a merchant.

If you want uboat, SH3 would be your game or you could load the Operation Monsoon mod.

Any game takes time to learn. Make sure you read all the stickys at the top. Some people don't want to take time to learn difficult games, thus this game may not be for you.

Save the game more, so you don't have to start over.

There are many great mods that add so much more to the game, get rid of bugs and highly improve the graphics.

Good luck......

Celeon999
05-22-2009, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by Ducimus_Rapax:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tenakakhan_1981:

Usually, but not always! Realistically, the chances of hitting a mine in the stock game are really really really low. That said, yes they ARE there, and the player will get no warning on them at all.

The only other thing i can think of that would cause the player to just blow up out of nowhere is really heavy use of Time compression in areas where shore batteries might exist, or even a plane. With reallyl high TC, the game will skip. Think of it as fast fowarding a DVD movie, and how it skips from scene to scene. If your detected by a plane, its entirely concieveable the game will skip the "frame" of the plane approaching, and go straight to the "frame" of it dropping bombs.

My advice, is to not use TC higher then 1024 or maybe even 2048 in your patrol area's , in empire waters, or anywhere near land. TC higher then 2048 should be reserved for that transpacific trip back to the barn. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I second that.

Ive had similar experiences which simply could not had been the result of hitting a mine.

Simply because the fact that my boat was in the open ocean not even near any shore or other spot where minefields could exist.

I used the highest time compression and suddenly "We're taking damage!" "We have heavy flooding!" and i was dead. No airplane warning , no radar detection nothing. Although it must had been a airplane or destroyer. (Perfectly clear weather)

This is just a assumption but im suspecting the Silent Hunter engine since quite some time of failing when the game is running at highest time compression on hardware configurations which struggle to process the amount of data at that speed.

Saying that the engine sometimes simply "forgets" to pause and give the player the "aircraft spotted" notification.

This might be the result of a bug somewhere in the code of the dynamic campaign engine and would explain why it only happens when using time compression and also why everyone seems to have different experiences.

The game also sometimes behaves "arkwardly" when running for several hours. Propably a minor memory leak or something.

I could imagine that people with very powerful systems do not encounter this effect at all or much less frequently as others with less capable systems.

OttoRamsaig77
05-22-2009, 06:34 AM
Hey Bismark, you want to really get anoyed and get your nickers in a twist, then try entering the south end of Rabul harbor, go on I dare ya http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

OttoRamsaig77
05-22-2009, 06:46 AM
Yep! I think the type of machine your running has great effect on your TC. I don't want to brag but while I was overseas I had the mother of all computers built (MOC)with SH4 in mind, I know it sounds crazy http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif I had really bad experiences with my old PC with its outdated processor. Now I have a duel quad running,. No matter what the TC I am always alerted to everything around me. From what I understand Bismark is being sunk in the same area all the time. Even a lab rat will take a different path after a while. So my 2 cents is to change your course. Hosit the SD radar, set to max range and sweep.

iliedobre
05-22-2009, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Gidgiddoni84:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bismarck83:

Because they blew up already? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hahahahahaha!!! That was a good one...

captgeo
05-22-2009, 09:15 AM
Let's see,

1. Yes there are mines, and they will make you fish food

2. Aircraft will spoil youre day

3. Time compression is not always "youre friend"

4. Lets add something NEW, you can collided with friendlly ships in TC and get NO warrning, and a hell of alot of damage.( I have done this MANY times)

5. You can also run into an Island that depending on youre "ZOOM" level, wasnt there, till you zoom in.

6. Welcome to the BEST fourm around. If you really think about it, this is a GAME, if youre "character" dies in other games, is it the game or YOU that you call faulty, or do you just have bad playing habits ?????

I have been trying to finish just 1 career in about 8 try's ( so I have died x8), my Dad use to say, "if you fail, try again, and again, you just might have to learn a different way, but you will win". http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

MWolfe1963
05-22-2009, 10:27 AM
I don't know how many times I have ran aground and ruined my game....Really stupid because all you have to do is zoom and check your path.

Another thing, in some places land may not even show, if you're moving at some speed and go through shallows of 10 ft...just as dead.

Also some sub nets...mostly in the Gilberts and Marshalls, but they can ruin you day..

Let's understand his frustration...when you take forever playing to die without understanding, it's enough to make you throw your computer through the window.

Bismark, It's a wonderful game if you give it time. However it is a game that targets a specific group. There are many mods that really make the game.

Many of us play for real, don't use saves, ect. We do something dumb and die, we start new careers. I've played for over a year and never lived through the war. Finally I used saves to get through one career.

Bismarck83
05-22-2009, 03:51 PM
ok first off i did come to the forms for i was very mad, you guys have cleared up alot on my issue and i have kept my eyes open for mines and small island from now on, for that i must say thank you all!! =D

as for OttoRamsaig77 And the south of Rabaul harbor...i destroyed all that >.> and got away clean..with minor damage, but i sunk every single ship in that place and took off, ALSO...i killed the rest of pearl habor in a German sub >.< i almost escaped too but sunk in 40 foot of water.

Right now i am on a patrol mission searching around, have been for 10 game days and it says incomplete lol so i am running around ramming small fishing boats here and there...not sure how to complete that lol

but yes thank you so much for helping me out in this issue, i am starting to enjoy this game more and more since i just love sinking ships and battleships carriers and ramming fishing boats =D

WernherVonTrapp
05-22-2009, 04:31 PM
Right now i am on a patrol mission searching around, have been for 10 game days and it says incomplete lol so i am running around ramming small fishing boats here and there...not sure how to complete that Just be careful ramming other boats. I know you may have read about others doing that but, they have more experience and know how to deal with the potential consequences. Ramming any other boat can cause hull damage that may be undetected or insignificant at first, until you dive to a depth that your boat would normally be able to handle but now, implodes upon reaching.

Bismarck83
05-22-2009, 04:54 PM
LOL funny tail here, i am being attacked by two destroyers, i am heavily damaged all pumps destroyed, all guns destroyed, hull down to 90% damaged all torp tubes destroyed, radar sonar pumps radio, all deck watch controls gone, control room gone, all bulk heads half repair, i am at a 90 degree angle with the nose of my sub poking up into the air thats all you see of my ship and it refuses to go down, i just got all my bulk heads repair and now slowly pumping out the water LOL..i need to dock

how do i repair my props? o.0

yea it was that bad i been repairing for a month game time dodging aircraft and floating ships driving by

Ducimus_Rapax
05-22-2009, 05:13 PM
I don't know how many times I have ran aground and ruined my game....Really stupid because all you have to do is zoom and check your path.

Pro tip:
When traveling from point A to point B, before setting course, take your ruler tool and draw a line from point A to point B.

Then, zoom the map in so all those lovely little sandbars and shallow areas the pacific is so famous for shows up on the map.

Take your plot tool, and follow the line you drew with your ruler, and set an occasional waypoint as you follow the line to your intended destination. Any obstruction in your intended path of travel you'll see, simply plot a waypoint or two around it and continue following the line. When your done plotting, resume course without any worries of running aground.

MWolfe1963
05-22-2009, 05:26 PM
LOL funny tail here, i am being attacked by two destroyers, i am heavily damaged all pumps destroyed, all guns destroyed, hull down to 90% damaged all torp tubes destroyed, radar sonar pumps radio, all deck watch controls gone, control room gone, all bulk heads half repair, i am at a 90 degree angle with the nose of my sub poking up into the air thats all you see of my ship and it refuses to go down, i just got all my bulk heads repair and now slowly pumping out the water LOL..i need to dock

how do i repair my props? o.0

yea it was that bad i been repairing for a month game time dodging aircraft and floating ships driving by

In this game many times you will be told repairs are complete, when they're just complete as much as they can be repaired. If something is destroyed, your board may be clear of damage, but it's still destroyed. If your props, rudder, engines get destroyed,...game over. You can also lose your fuel and not make it home...and I bet at 90% you've lost fuel.
It's possible your bulkheads at gone, at that level of damage, they're probably destroyed, so if you have to dive you may not come back up

Also refits don't do complete repairs..have to dock at home port.

My guess is you've already started another career unless you're close to base.

Gidgiddoni84
05-22-2009, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by MWolfe1963:
If something is destroyed, your board may be clear of damage, but it's still destroyed. If your props, rudder, engines get destroyed,...game over.

Speaking of which, just moments ago depth charges took out my pumps and brought on heavy flooding. With the boat in free fall I had no choice but blow ballast and try to duke it out on the surface.

In the ensuing battle with two destroyers I suddenly saw the horrible message, "Propeller destroyed!" I got both of them, but they blasted me into the 90's damage so their buddy coming to join them finished me off.

Darn, new career time.

Ducimus_Rapax
05-22-2009, 06:55 PM
Heh, some of the stuff you guys posts makes me want to try and play the game. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Bismarck83
05-22-2009, 09:48 PM
Well i just sunk 100K tons =D and came back wondering i noticed you can see the conning tower and bits of in the ship..can you see the engine room..the back torp room engine room..just everything?

MWolfe1963
05-22-2009, 10:41 PM
Yep, with stock game you can take on the dd's on the surface and win most the time and come back to base with a boat full of holes. Basically the game gives you some simple graphics showing damage inside the ship.

When you get use to the game move on to TMO mod that makes the game more realistic...and your first battle with dd's on the surface will be realistic...... as you die very quickly.

Bismarck83
05-22-2009, 10:45 PM
Lol i already die when i go up against a DD on the surface i don't need help to die =D i got that covered, i have noticed you can only put 5 holes (gun shots) into a boat that you can see, after the 5 holes your shells cant make any more visible holes

buddha231974
05-23-2009, 01:35 AM
Bismarck, I am glad to see you are enjoying the game and the forum here...

Welcome aboard! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

MWolfe1963
05-23-2009, 06:22 AM
Lol i already die when i go up against a DD on the surface i don't need help to die =D i got that covered, i have noticed you can only put 5 holes (gun shots) into a boat that you can see, after the 5 holes your shells cant make any more visible holes

Depends on the ship. I've never counted holes, but I've seen more than 5. You can see them on the brigde and parts of the deck. Best to aim under the waterline and put several under the stack.

Another thing that will blow your ship up that happens a lot so watch out...circular torps. They were quite common. I've been hit at periscope depth by them.

Usually it happens shooting on the surface why you're still moving forward. If your at a dead stop they usually miss forward. Be nice if we had the sonar man call out "hot, straight and normal", because your men don't call them out.
One took out my bow here, but I lived. As far as I remember I've never been killed by one, just severe damage.
http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu235/Armistead1424/SH4Img2009-01-27_211744_687.jpg

dannil
05-23-2009, 07:41 AM
How about watching the replay?

Bismarck83
05-23-2009, 12:29 PM
HMm so whats TMO mod, i looked it up and got a few too many sites, is it just DDs do more damage and your torps only to more damage..is it worth it? and where would i DL it

Gidgiddoni84
05-23-2009, 12:39 PM
HMm so whats TMO mod, i looked it up and got a few too many sites, is it just DDs do more damage and your torps only to more damage..is it worth it? and where would i DL it

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/foru...1019045/m/1191029895 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6421019045/m/1191029895)