PDA

View Full Version : Another Xbox Console Question

Broom347
02-17-2005, 09:59 AM
Ok, I have another question about the Xbox console, and Xbox live.

I want to get Xbox live, but I cant run a cable to my Xbox that is hooked up to my main flat screen TV. I have a smaller TV that can sit on a desk next to my computer but when I use that for my Xbox, everything is blurry and it's almost impossible to make out text on the screen.

My question is this: Is there a way to adjust the resolution on my Xbox to fit the very small TV Screen to things will be clear, and text will be readable. It's a fairly old TV, so I guess I could go out and buy a newer TV of the same size but it's only about 6 years old and it seems to work fine.

Any suggestions?

Please help...a small TV is my only way to Xbox live lol.

Terrax213
02-17-2005, 10:10 AM
I'm lost ...

Which cable won't hook up to the big TV? The ethernet cable? I believe that runs from your Xbox to your cable modem.

If you're talkin about the A/V jack, I can't imagine a TV less than 10 years old not having the A/V ins. How old is the flat screen TV?

Broom347
02-17-2005, 11:00 AM
Sorry I might have typed this post to fast.

I wasn't talking about the cable that runs to the A/V jack, I was talking about my ethernet cable that runs from my Xbox to my DSL Modem.

I'll try to make my question clearer this time.
When I use my Xbox on this small TV thats about 5-6 years old, everything is blurry and text is unreadable. I want to get Xbox live, but the only way I can do that is to have this small TV and my Xbox in the same room as my DSL Modem. So...I want to play Xbox Live on this 12-15 inch TV, is there a way to adjust the resolution on my Xbox to fit to the TV and give me a clear image?

Sorry about before, I typed it up really fast and never re-read my post :P

f16cxv
02-17-2005, 12:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Broom347:
Ok, I have another question about the Xbox console, and Xbox live.

I want to get Xbox live, but I cant run a cable to my Xbox that is hooked up to my main flat screen TV. I have a smaller TV that can sit on a desk next to my computer but when I use that for my Xbox, everything is blurry and it's almost impossible to make out text on the screen.

My question is this: Is there a way to adjust the resolution on my Xbox to fit the very small TV Screen to things will be clear, and text will be readable. It's a fairly old TV, so I guess I could go out and buy a newer TV of the same size but it's only about 6 years old and it seems to work fine.

Any suggestions?

Please help...a small TV is my only way to Xbox live lol. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

they've got a wireless adaptor...

DarKA55ASSIN
02-17-2005, 12:08 PM
na soz dude,im pretty sure u cant changed the res but yeh,just like f16 said u can buy an wireless adapter

Broom347
02-17-2005, 12:08 PM
OK in that case then, 3 more short questions.

1. Theres only a small doorway going from my comptuer room where my modem is, and big wall dividing that with my TV room, is that going to interfere with the connection to the adapter?

2. Where can I buy the wireless adapter?

3. If I have a Xbox Live headset, will voices coming from other people be heard from my TV's speakers, or through the headset?

Terrax213
02-17-2005, 12:13 PM
Ahhhhh ok I see what you mean now ... well like mentioned by f16 .. go wireless http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

1. It shouldn't if you get a decent enough adapter

2. Radio Shack would be a good start. Comp USA, Best Buy ... any place like that as well.

3. I believe it comes through your headset. Someone who uses XBL can clarify that one though.

Serial_Jon
02-17-2005, 12:18 PM
3. You choose in the settings if you want the output through the headset or the TV speakers.

And to achieve the best wireless signal, I've found that the higher the access point is, the better the reception. Walls/objects/nagging girlfriends/etc. shouldn't affect it at all (Unless you live in a shielded 50's bomb shelter).

Also: when buying an adapter, make sure you get one specifically for xbox ( 'g' I think is what it uses).. otherwise you'll have more networking headaches.

Broom347
02-17-2005, 12:20 PM
I'm just loaded with questions today lol

Whats the best way to get started with Xbox live (A starter kit, subscription card, etc)? And is there a fee to register?

And my question about resolution was never answered...Is there a way to adjust your resolution on your Xbox so your TV image is clear? I really rather use a TV thats right next to my DSL modem because I don't want to spend $150 on a wireless adapter. And so if I can get by with an old crappy TV I will.

XyZspineZyX
02-17-2005, 12:32 PM
stater kits are best cus you get your headset which you will need, amazon do them cheaper than the RRP so a good place to look, once you've bought that you will need a credit card to set up the account but its not charged they just run it to confirm details for sercurity, so it will need to have some available balance i.e a maxed out card wont work (i found that out that hard way lol)

Not sure abuot TV Res but have you considered drilling through the wall and putting the cable through the hole? i did that as it was the most efficient way to stay with a wired connection, once the cables through you can fill in around the hole so it really doesnt notice theres one there. thats what i would do anyway and its much cheaper just the cost of a few cable grips to keep cable in right place http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Broom347
02-17-2005, 12:34 PM
So there is no setup fee then? And the only charges are the monthly payments?

XyZspineZyX
02-17-2005, 01:25 PM
theres no monthly payments either, If you buy the starter kit at 39.99 that covers 12 months subscription, when thats due for renewal you then have various options to pay the following 12 months fees but until then you dont pay anything unless you decide to pay premium download content for a game and in which case you know how much and can chose to either buy it or not.

When renewing the cheapest way is to buy another starter kit and using the code given to renew for another 12 months subscription via the xbox dashboard.
I would definalty say dont go with monthly payments via your credit card when renewing as this is very expensive to do in the long run ( i think its approx 4.99 a month). If your not sure weather you will need 12 months or even like xbox live, get hold of a 2 months free trial from a game purchase, then use that to set up the account and if you like what you see you can then use a starter kit code to extend that account for the following 12 months.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif hope that helps

Broom347
02-17-2005, 01:29 PM
I had the 2 month trial, but I didn't like it for 2 reasons...

1. The TV I had to use was only about a 13 inch screen and all the text was blurry and unreadable (If anyone knows how to fix this please let me know)

2. I didn't have a headset so it wasn't very fun.

But I'm almost sure that if I've got a clear image and a headset I'll like Xbox live. I'd really like to figure out how to make my small TV's image clearer...Because I really prefer not to use my other 30 inch TV because then I need to buy a $100 wireless adapter.

Secret_Shadow13
02-17-2005, 01:55 PM
Just make a **** hole insode the wall if not that just link up 6 cords and beat them to the wall.

Broom347
02-17-2005, 01:58 PM
So basically your telling me that the blurryness on the screen and unreadable text is not fixable, I need to use my 30 inch TV?

Terrax213
02-17-2005, 02:00 PM
I don't believe you can adjust the resolution of your Xbox for one .. for two .. it would be SOO much better to have it on a 30" screen http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Hell move the big TV into the computer room if you have to (and if there's room in there) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Secret_Shadow13
02-17-2005, 02:01 PM
HAHAHA i got 56 inch hahahaha !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SpiderFreak
02-17-2005, 02:47 PM
Secret Shadow, I hate to say it but you're not helping. He doesn't need people laughing that they have a bigger TV. Nobody cares. I use a 27 inch and it's fine. You don't need to laugh at the guy.

Anyways, I am lucky enough to have a wireless router in the same room as my Xbox, So I just have a cable going from my Xbox to the wireless thing. But I deffinantly suggest you go with the bigger TV. If you can, just drill a hole in the wall, and run the cable through the wall. Then you won't have to worry about connection issues or $100 on a router. And, I suggest you get the Starter Kit. I got a 12 month subscription, a headset, and MechAssault, and I got it for only $70 US. Then this last Christmas I got a renewal card ($50) and I'm good for another year.

And I'm no TV/Xbox mechanics expert, so I can't answer your resolution problem. Sorry.

SF

Broom347
02-17-2005, 03:23 PM
I wish I could move my bigger TV into my computer room but my desk isn't big enough.

Ok, I've decided I'm just going to spend $160 on everything and use the wireless adapter. I need someone who has the wireless adapter to confirm something for me though.

Ok if this makes a difference let me know, but my DSL modem is not a wireless modem, just a plain modem hooked up to a hub going to my other computer. I have had Xbox live on it before, but that was when I was using the 13 inch junk TV. OK so I buy the wireless Xbox G Adapter, I hook one piece of it up to my DSL modem, the other piece is hooked up to my Xbox correct? And my TV room is 1 room away from my computer room, and theres a big wall filled with electrical wires in between my TV and computer room, is this going to be a problem with the reception?

And one more thing and I'm done asking questions for the day...I only have 1 extra ethernet cable, how many am I going to need for the adapter if I need any at all?

mikeiron0404
02-17-2005, 03:32 PM
Just get a bunch of ethernet cables and hook them up head-to-tail and under the door.

Zero0764
02-17-2005, 04:05 PM
OK,
1. Man enough about your dumb, BIG screeen TV already, if you want a TV buy 1 if your so rich..

2. You can simply get a hole through the wall as people posted sooo many times, go to your local hardware or electronics store and buy a much LONGER ethernet cable OR setup your network to make it wireless, and buy a wirless adapter (and YES IT CAN GO THROUGH WALLS OK!!) that is compatible with an Xbox (I know cause my Xbox is wireless, and I did it all by MYSELF, and I live in the UK so I would'nt be able to buy an official wireless adapter).

3. MAYBE, if you go into your Xbox dashboard and go to VIDEO SETTINGS and change the aspect to normal, then you'd be able to see text and clearer images on your ANCIENT TV SRCEEN!

Secret_Shadow13
02-17-2005, 05:50 PM
I was just kidding but really just make a hole man... its the best way and it will be cheap but i never said it will be easy...

Secret_Shadow13
02-17-2005, 05:54 PM
Ohh a wall with cables inside it.... i would not drill inside that i were you.. but dont spend 160 bucks on that man really... theres a cheaper way but if you wont to go head it is easier but just beet up the cord to the wall and it will be k.... but really if you got the money go head but i really would not spend 160 if i had a choice not to..

cooldude6681
02-17-2005, 06:17 PM
if your wall is "filled" with electrical cables like you say, then yes, you might have a slight problem with quality, but if it's only a few wires like for light switches, electrical outlets, etc, then there should be no problems at all.

You shouldn't need to go out and buy any ethernet cables if you're going with the wireless adapter. But if by some weird chance you do need the cables, ethernet cables can be purchased in bulk (local hardware store, as Zero0764 said, with the spools of cable that they'll cut for you) where you add the plugs yourself, or I believe you can get them in 3ft, 6ft, 9ft, 12ft, 25ft, 50ft, 100ft lengths (I think) with the plugs already attached at almost any electronics place.

You could also drill into the floor where any wires will be attached to the floor joists. If you want to drill into the wall (which I'm guessing you don't, but I'll say this anyway), you can buy a studfinder that will also detect electrical wires and conduit.

I tried searching for something that won't cost you $160 but I couldn't find anything cheaper, sorryhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

That's as complete of an answer that I can give you, hope it helps.

Ninj3r
02-17-2005, 07:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Secret_Shadow13:
HAHAHA i got 56 inch hahahaha !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I won't ask what http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Broom347
02-18-2005, 09:16 AM
I'm gonna run a cable from my computer room, down to my basement, through my basement and up into my TV room where my Xbox is, but I have a question about ethernet cables...

I've got a DSL modem that will be connected to the Xbox, is a "Cross Over Cable" what I need?

Secret_Shadow13
02-18-2005, 09:34 AM
Cross Over? if you wont your pc and xbox online ast the same time you need a router, cheap one for 39.00 and works cool. wired/

Secret_Shadow13
02-18-2005, 09:35 AM
And dont be stupid il need a vegon to carry that thing if it was 56 inches... So the tv is 56..

Broom347
02-18-2005, 09:39 AM
Um, actually Secret_Shadow13, I don't...

I've had Xbox live before, but it was when my TV was right next to my DSL modem, I used a 5 foot cable to connect my Xbox to my DSL modem, and well no router...but both online at the same time.

If you don't know what your talking about, don't bother responding please.

Secret_Shadow13
02-18-2005, 09:42 AM
How you need a router unless you have a modem which already works like a router..

Broom347
02-18-2005, 09:53 AM
And I have said many times that I have a router. Now can someone answer my question?

What kind of cable do I need to run from my modem to my xbox? I'm guessing a Cross Over cable, but can someone tell me for sure?