PDA

View Full Version : Any way to lessen the fog density?

ThornNRazor
05-01-2007, 03:27 PM
I rather like the fog in this game, but I feel that it may be a bit too thick. I usually get 40FPS in normal sunny conditions, but it plumets down to 19-20FPS in intense foggy conditions. Is there any way to lessen the density of the fog so that I can still have fog and not the HUGE drop in frames per second?

veovis39
05-01-2007, 03:47 PM
I have resorted to just turning volumetric fog off completely. I have a pretty decent system but it just can't handle it, and drops down to around 15fps.

ThornNRazor
05-01-2007, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by veovis39:
I have resorted two just turning volumetric fog off completely. I have a pretty decent system but it just can't handle it, and drops down to around 15fps.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I will have to do the same. I suppose everyone will unless they have an SUPER UBER machine with quad videocards. Hopefully the DEVS will fix this in patch 1.3 so that we can have some volumetric fog without the slowdowns.

lane2512
05-01-2007, 04:10 PM
My card is an older Nvida 6800 256k.....the volumetric fog does slow a little but I have all the graphics maxed out and no problems. Ever since the 1.2 patch (the invisible monolith fix) I never get stutter. Weird, I know, for an older card. Then again other games (NWN2-MTW2) sometimes hang badly. Go figure.

Frumpkis
05-01-2007, 07:31 PM
I have volumetric turned on, it's just barely at the edge of what my CPU/GPU can handle. But I'm wondering how that setting interacts with gameplay (if it does at all).

I mean... fog should affect visibility range, right? If you're not enabling the visual fog FX, does that still affect the visual contact range?

I'd assume it does... if the game thinks the weather is that way. But how would you know, if there's no indication of fog on your monitor?

Just wondering how all this stuff interacts...

veovis39
05-01-2007, 07:37 PM
Turning off volumetric fog doesn't affect the visual contact range for your lookout crew. It does let you see a little farther though,

Frumpkis
05-01-2007, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by veovis39:
Turning off volumetric fog doesn't affect the visual contact range for your lookout crew. It does let you see a little farther though,

Okay, so you (the player) can see further through binocs/TBT/periscope, but your crew's visual contact range is reduced by "invisible" fog that you can't see, because you have that graphics setting turned off?

If that's how it works, then it doesn't seem right to me, in terms of game design and balance. If there is an environmental factor causing reduced visibility like fog, then the player should see some indication of that... no matter how powerful a system they're running.

Otherwise you'd be plotting a different convoy attack strategy based on the reduced range, for example.

Da11en47
05-01-2007, 07:52 PM
How do you find out your FPS? Is there a max?

veovis39
05-01-2007, 07:56 PM
Okay, so you (the player) can see further through binocs/TBT/periscope, but your crew's visual contact range is reduced by "invisible" fog that you can't see, because you have that graphics setting turned off?
Well it's not always crystal clear... if that was the case, I'd leave the volumetric fog on and deal with the FPS drop. There is still the commonly used fog "wall" that you'll see in other games, which lowers the distance that ships are drawn in.

Overall though, I hate SH4's weather system. SH3 had a great one, with downpours, lightning, heavy fog that you couldn't see more than 300m in... all I ever get in SH4, regardless of whether or not volumetric fog is turned on, is big waves. Nothing else really changes (aside from the wind)

How do you find out your FPS?
Ctrl+F8

ThornNRazor
05-01-2007, 08:49 PM
I think if the DEVs just sparse out the fog a bit, it would run a lot smoother. Perhaps they could make a slider in the options menu on fog density?

I have a Nvidia 7900GT 512Mb GDDR3 RAM and this fog brings my SHIV game to it's knees. Something is a mist - pun IS intended.