PDA

View Full Version : sub-sub collision, one dead, stern damage

sneakattacks
02-11-2010, 09:57 PM
Time 08:28
Off Honshu. Dawn. All engines STOP. Make depth 120 ft. Plan: remain submerged until after dark.

<go to time compression>

Time: 20:19
<time compression auto-reverts to "1">

"We're taking damage, sir!"
"Mediiiic!"
"We have casualties, sir!"
"Stern tubes damaged, sir!"

No explosions, no scraping metal sounds, just water spraying.
Go to sonar: no sonar contacts.
Go to crew: One dead, one injured.
Go to Damage control: stern tubes damaged.

"Blow ballast, Emergency surface!" (I will find out who did this!)

At surface, nothing unusual. No visual contacts.

This was not a mine. We were stopped, motionless, for 12 hours.
This was not a depth charge. No sonar contacts, no report of being under attack.
This was not an aircraft. We had been at 120 ft (and that's deep enough) for 12 hours.
This was not a grounding. Surrounding depth was 500+ ft, the damage occurred after 12 hours.

Tell the truth, a sub-sub collision sounds too far fetched to even consider, but what's left?

[No, I don't do external views or playback. I do 100%realism]

<< SH4 v.1.5, TMO1.9 my only mod >>

Blowtanks
02-11-2010, 11:54 PM
Oddly I have had other similar situations.
No one around, peaceful seas, and then all hell breaks out. Bodies laying around, shouts for the medic, damage racking up like a stock market ticker.
And no clue of what has happened. With both "RFB" and "TMO" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

swamprat69er
02-12-2010, 05:14 AM
With a calm sea at 120' you can still be seen from the air. It was probably a bomb. IF I am goinmg to rest for a long period of time I make sure I am at least around the 300' mark. Guaranteed air planes will NOT see me at that depth.

MWolfe1963
02-12-2010, 06:39 AM
I can't recall stock, but probably the same. Some planes drop two bombs set for different depths, one blows almost on the surface, one goes much deeper, I have been damaged at 160ft.

An easy way to track it to see is use the pause button, find the bomb as it releases with the external cam, using pause off and on follow the bombs, watch them hit the water and chase the one that goes deep...you can see why it will do damage.

Most planes can't hit you deep unless the waters are totally calm. With no fog and calm waters your sub can be seen fairly deep. Find these conditions and scan from the sky where a plane would be looking at your sub..I've seen mine as far as 300 ft in the right conditions.

It you're gonna play with high TC, either be at radar depth so you know a plane is coming or go to 200ft and know you're safe for sure. You're PC should lag and slow down for surface contacts.

Using high TC, you may never know what killed you. If it's a plane it could be long gone just using minor TC..You'll never see it.

Treetop64
02-12-2010, 01:08 PM
Aircraft-launched depth charge, perhaps? Like swamprat69er said, if a Mavis or some other aircraft gets lucky, on a clear, calm sea they can spot you pretty deep, if they're in the right position.

ME-BOAT
02-12-2010, 01:36 PM
Ive had that happen,and as far as im concerned its time compression that does it,speed it up at the wrong time and you die.

sneakattacks
02-12-2010, 11:33 PM
Sorry, I should have added that:

At the time of the damage and death, 20:19, it was dark, about an hour after sunset , no afterglow, and seas were moderate , and not calm.

That makes the aircraft explanation a little tenuous...

But learning that (in this game) planes can visually i.d. you at 200-300 ft in daylight, calm seas, is important to know. Thanks for that tip!

(Still another explanation might be that one of my aft torpedomen ran amok with a wrench, like in The Enema Below [the sub movie starring Robert Mitchum and Curt Jurgens]. yeah, right...)

PhantomKira
02-12-2010, 11:50 PM
What year was it? I've heard that the Japanese developed rather accurate MAD (Magnetic Anomaly Detection) gear for aircraft use in detecting submerged submarines late in the war. I'm not sure if this is simulated in TMO etc, but it would certainly account for the night attack.

MWolfe1963
02-13-2010, 12:53 AM
If you keep dying for no reason you can figure, sounds like you have a bugged install. Still, I would wait and play some. Often you'll figure out a simple explanation. Strange things can happen with TC if your not careful.

Planes will attack with TMO at night, moreso late war, but sounds very doubtful. They do have radar, but you were dived. I can't remember about mad, but I'll check..I do think some planes in the past had mad.

Wolferz
02-13-2010, 11:14 AM
If you're running TMO, a plane can spot you before it gets dark and vector in the next patrol to your position, Granted they are bombing blind but they usually empty the rack before leaving.

WernherVonTrapp
02-13-2010, 12:19 PM
I'm certain that, somewhere, somehow, there's a reasonable explanation and, more than likely, something you overlooked. Inexplicable damage is not a peculiar trait of this game.
Did you incur any damage from a previous encounter? Is it possible that, somehow, you were deeper than you thought? How fast did your TC rate go? Did you TC before you were level at set depth?
I don't think you have a buggy install. I think you overlooked something. Did you hear any strange sounds while enroute to your objective (maybe with TC while enroute)?
This does not preclude the remote possibility of a fluke involving TC but, more often than not, these type of things are usually player induced. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

MWolfe1963
02-13-2010, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by WernherVonTrapp:
I'm certain that, somewhere, somehow, there's a reasonable explanation and, more than likely, something you overlooked. Inexplicable damage is not a peculiar trait of this game.
Did you incur any damage from a previous encounter? Is it possible that, somehow, you were deeper than you thought? How fast did your TC rate go? Did you TC before you were level at set depth?
I don't think you have a buggy install. I think you overlooked something. Did you hear any strange sounds while enroute to your objective (maybe with TC while enroute)?
This does not preclude the remote possibility of a fluke involving TC but, more often than not, these type of things are usually player induced. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Totally agree. For those of us that have played a long time, we found later explanations that we overlooked that were very simple...

sneakattacks
02-14-2010, 03:55 AM
Pre-event, sub was undamaged, no previous encounters.

Depth definitely 120 ft, my (former) standard daytime depth when in enemy waters. TC not started until after this depth was reached. TC = 512. TC continued without problem for "12 hours" until the event, which flipped it off. I did not end TC, it auto-reverted when the damage happened.

I have died in this game from going deeper than a previously damaged hull would tolerate. Then, the boat sank catastrophically from hull failure the moment I reached critical depth.

Opposed to that, the event here occurred at 120 ft, boat stopped, and after being in this position for 12 hours. Damage was limited to the stern tubes and two of the crew. It occurred in a single stroke, ie, no progressive damage occurred while I checked crew, sonar, damage control.

There were no explosions or funny sounds before or after. The crew did not report being under attack.

Though this type damage is typical of a bomb or depth charge, its occurring an hour after sunset at 120 ft in moderate seas is a vote against air attack by even an unseen assailant; and no sonar contact or visual contact on emergency surfacing would seem to rule out surface craft attack.

Maybe it was a meteor.

MWolfe1963
02-14-2010, 07:04 AM
Well whatever damage happened did so while at TC. Even at that, whatever did it was long gone before it reverts back.

If it was a ship, still should've been around. A plane would've been gone by the time TC slowed down. Usually the TC stays high even if you get messages that you're damaged, cry for medics, ect...Most people die before they slow TC down. It seldom slows down unless it had a contact.

Usually when TC slows down, usually to about 8x, means a contact, but you say you had none and was too deep for a plane contact. You're crew should've picked up a ship contact and that would automatically slow it down. Most die after they get a contact and then speed it up, then goof by getting too close, ect.

Planes do attack at night if they get a contact, but you were dived deep. Planes do home in on you and drop bombs often when they don't see you, but usually not without some contact.

Never heard of this complaint before. Well, I have, but people later figured out why it was simple.

Before I would reinstall, I would keep playing. If it happens again and you're at TC, hit the pause button ASAP. If you're dived, blow tanks to get to the surface enough to get air radar working, keep playing with the pause button and look and listen...

If it keeps happening, you may want to try a reinstall. Have you loaded any other mods before this, even if you don't use them now.

I don't think planes have mad, unless late in the war, but I'll figure it out.

My guess is it's still something being overlooked, so keep playing and try to figure it out with pause and cam.

The Mystery of sneaky will have to continue for now.

gamer025
02-14-2010, 07:20 PM
I'm starting to wonder if this is what happened to me. Check out my post "Sunk by Ghosts!"

Blowtanks
02-14-2010, 08:11 PM
I have the feeling that it is something to do with time compression.
I was just coming into Midway. Sunny, calm, but time compression running. When I hit the shallow water, boom-bang. More damage then if I had had a run in with a destoryer. Seems to be a pretty common theme.

WernherVonTrapp
02-14-2010, 11:59 PM
@sneakattacks:
You could have been bombed or DCed earlier while in TC. The TC may have stopped when the damage reached a critical stage.
I was once returning to Midway for a refit at 512TC. I thought I heard a quick, faint buzzing sound and when I reached Midway, I had about 20% damage. I realized then that the buzzing sound I had heard earlier (and lasting only a second) was probably a Jap plane. If it weren't for the fact that I had the volume very loud, I may not have heard the plane at all. Even then, it was so quick (and barely audible) that I almost missed it altogether.

Wolferz
02-18-2010, 04:21 PM
Another possibility would be random equipment failure. After all, military hardware is made by the lowest bidder. Sometimes they take shortcuts or use inferior metals and components to maintain a profit. Could have been a bad weld in the pressure hull.
I'm not saying that this type of failure was programmed into the sim, but it's possible.
For lack of a concise cause, I would be leaning toward that explanation.
Maybe the guys in the aft torpedoe room were making torpedoe juice and blew the still. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Blowtanks
02-18-2010, 05:51 PM
Another possibility would be random equipment failure. After all, military hardware is made by the lowest bidder. Sometimes they take shortcuts or use inferior metals and components to maintain a profit. Could have been a bad weld in the pressure hull.
I'm not saying that this type of failure was programmed into the sim, but it's possible.
For lack of a concise cause, I would be leaning toward that explanation.

I'm thinking they are nowhere that smart. Its a bug, which this game was full of from the start!
Its kind of the same thing as everyone complaining that the wrap around on the AA gun in RSRD creates a blind spot, but no matter what, the people who "update" it have never corrected...

ChuckTH
02-18-2010, 06:39 PM
I had this happen once to me. I was at 300 feet, going slow, when suddenly...Only for me the damage was mostly to the upper part of the sub.
My periscopes were inoperative, hull, bulkheads, diving planes damaged but still operating.
Engines and props all right, or I would not have made it to the surface. I went to flank anad stayed there until I surfaced. I had to stay at full to keep from going back down.
Got as much damage repaired as possible, then headed for home. As I couldn't submerge, depth control was iffy at best, I was spotted and sunk several days after my encounter with whatever it was.
I always wondered about this, could it be whales?
That would explain the damage out of nowhere, if it were a plane, you'd think they'd hang around and try again.
Most what I see in this they were at about 150 or so, has anyone else had a deep encounter?
But no explosion, no sonar readings, no anything.

Blowtanks
02-18-2010, 07:17 PM
The fact that no one sees it happen should be a clue. But some like to think it was the loch ness monster or whatever. The Fact is: this game was full of bugs from the beginning.
It still has problems that have never been addressed, and probably never will be. Like Mirosofts position, its easier to just sell you a new game....

MWolfe1963
02-18-2010, 08:32 PM
Bet it was a plane. Just tonight I got hit why dark and sunk at 140 ft using high TC, about 256.

If you make it to where you get your aa radar up and there closer in, radar won't show them until they get out of the close zone. As the kill cam was showing I heard planes....

This ain't a bug....unless you have some fubar files.

Wolferz
02-19-2010, 06:26 AM
It was the Kraken? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Saboteur?

Claustrophobic freak out by a crewman?