PDA

View Full Version : RAM or GFX Card

mannionmax
03-05-2005, 05:55 AM
HI, I currently have a Athlon 64 3500+, 1GB of ram and a GeForce 6800NU. I was wondering if upgrading the RAM to 2 GB would be better than upgrading the GFX card to a 6800 gt/ultra?

JG27_Arklight
03-05-2005, 06:02 AM
No to buying more ram and no to buying a new video card.

Why would you want to upgrade?

Going form a 6800NU to a 6800GT or Ultra would not result in a huge performance increase.

Going from 1GB of ram to 2GB would probably result in NO difference whatsoever, unless you like playing games, surfing the web in 10 windwos and using Photoshop all at the same time. lol

I would recommend buying and playing the game first and then deciding what you may want to upgrade. In all honesty, I wouldn't upgrade either.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

mannionmax
03-05-2005, 06:35 AM
Well games like Doom 3 can still be quite juddery at high detail level, ultra level is a joke. Even Rome TW can't run with maxed out graphics without juddering. I have a budget of 250-300 to upgrade. Any suggestions?

Nieldo
03-05-2005, 06:39 AM
Wow, I play Rome TW at maxed gfx with half of your specs ... ouch

JG27_Arklight
03-05-2005, 06:41 AM
Something doesn't sound right with your system, Mannionmax. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

You should be getting pretty decent performance in D3 at ultra.

What video card drivers are you using? What FSAA and AF settings?

sjoerd1972
03-05-2005, 06:42 AM
Mood of the topic. posted Sat March 05 2005 04:55
HI, I currently have a Athlon 64 3500+, 1GB of ram and a GeForce 6800NU. I was wondering if upgrading the RAM to 2 GB would be better than upgrading the GFX card to a 6800 gt/ultra?

Gsus dude what ya talking about? there are so many players that DONT have a high end system as you got. So dont act like you have low end system because your system is doing just fine on SHIII.

Im using a 2.6 amd and 512 ram and a gf 5900xt.... im not worried at all, tho i know i could use 512 ram more...lol.

mannionmax
03-05-2005, 06:57 AM
I think there may be something wrong. I'm using the 71.81 drivers. Also my RAM is corsair value RAM could this slow it down? Should I by faster RAM? My card is at 8x AF and 4x FSAA.

mannionmax
03-05-2005, 07:04 AM
Tried Doom 3 on ultra, frame rate seems ok, but every few seconds it pauses for a few miliseconds. Is this the RAM?

JG27_Arklight
03-05-2005, 07:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mannionmax:
Tried Doom 3 on ultra, frame rate seems ok, but every few seconds it pauses for a few miliseconds. Is this the RAM? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is your HD chugging during the pause?

Also...

Before you start a game, say, right after you boot up, what is the temperature of your video card?

mannionmax
03-05-2005, 08:17 AM
No, no churning. Well do you mean churning lasting 4 a while? It does churn a bit but only for a second. Temperature is 50 degrees C. Could it be the slow RAM causing the problem the Corsair Value RAM that I have is at CL2.5.

Tomcat41
03-05-2005, 10:38 AM
"8x AF and 4x FSAA"

think that may be your problem

mannionmax
03-05-2005, 11:04 AM
What do u mean 8x AF and 4X FSAA is my problem? Anygame looks sh*t without these settings! Loads of people play with those sorts of settings and get well good FPS.

sskip
03-05-2005, 11:18 AM
Sheesh....you seem a bit spoilt to me m8, most people would love to have your current system nevemind you rubbling there faces in it with trying to get 2 or 3 more fps by spending 300 on a pointless upgrade.

The lads above a given good advice with regards to your current system specs and upgrading now

I suggest you wait until the new ATI or Nvidia 512mb cards are released and purchase one of em if you "really" think you need the performance boost.

sjoerd1972
03-05-2005, 11:32 AM
Sheesh....you seem a bit spoilt to me m8, most people would love to have your current system nevemind you rubbling there faces in it with trying to get 2 or 3 more fps by spending 300 on a pointless upgrade.

The lads above a given good advice with regards to your current system specs and upgrading now

I suggest you wait until the new ATI or Nvidia 512mb cards are released and purchase one of em if you "really" think you need the performance boost.

LOL there ya go dude....

mannionmax
03-05-2005, 11:36 AM
I'm just annoyed at why my computer stutters a bit at max settings. I was wondering if i was to buy better RAM (currently corsair value RAM pc3200 2.5cl) would stop this stuttering!

eddie_wood
03-05-2005, 01:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mannionmax:
I'm just annoyed at why my computer stutters a bit at max settings. I was wondering if i was to buy better RAM (currently corsair value RAM pc3200 2.5cl) would stop this stuttering! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No. Don't waste you money on RAM. Assuming that your hard disk is new, quick and not fragmented, your video card is too slow for what you are trying to achieve.

Sockeye45
03-05-2005, 01:30 PM
Question about FSAA:

What exactly does it do anyways? I've toyed around with it in a few games, but haven't noticed any increase in graphics or anything, except that I usually get slightly less frames per second. Usually I leave FSAA settings at zero because of this.

Anyone feel like shedding some light on this for me?

ivoloos
03-05-2005, 01:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sockeye45:
Question about FSAA:
What exactly does it do anyways? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

NVIDIA's 3D glossary says:
Antialiasing
Any technique for reducing the visual impact of aliasing, or the "jaggies," on a computer graphics system.

Anisotropic Filtering
An advanced texture-filtering technique that improves image quality for scenes with objects that extend from the foreground deep into the background. For example, a road that extends to the horizon will look better with anisotropic filtering.

stevenwhiting
03-05-2005, 07:41 PM
I have this system

AMD 64 3200+, Abit AV8 3rd Eye Mobo, 1Gb Cosair Value DDR400 RAM, Geforce 6 6600 GT 128MB.

And Rome Total War runs a smooth as a babies bott, with HUGH armies on the map. And HL2 runs as smooth as a babies bott to with my setup.

So something is wrong with yours. Try defragging the HD. Even replacing the RAM for proper Cosair RAM. I have the value RAM as I'm not that fussed, but you seemed to be so you should get the proper Cosair RAM not the value RAM.

Dominicrigg
03-05-2005, 10:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sockeye45:
Question about FSAA:

What exactly does it do anyways? I've toyed around with it in a few games, but haven't noticed any increase in graphics or anything, except that I usually get slightly less frames per second. Usually I leave FSAA settings at zero because of this.

Anyone feel like shedding some light on this for me? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

AA is anti aliasing, its unlikely you need it set as high as this guy has, it smooths out jaggy lines in game. So if you are playing a game without it maybe some things will look jaggedy (though not much really) with it low you wont notice much jaggedy lines. Maybe this guy has his screen size at ludicrous size (sounds like it to me)

The other thing denotes the quality of surfaces textures. The higher you have this the better the texture further away from you. So as in the example a road would have texture out to a very long distance with the settings at max, with them lower textures stop before they get far away. Again not noticable unless you are looking around instead of playing lol.

All in all you dont need either set high, usually only anti aliasing low if anything. If you need them setting high you need to sit further away from your monitor :P or soon your eyes will drop out!

LostGunner
03-06-2005, 12:03 AM
mannionmax if you are playing these games offline, turn everything off running in the back ground except Explorer especially any Anti-Virus program as they are a known PC game killer. ( And NEVER install a game running a "Anti-Virus Program"---- Like Norton )

I've an Alienware full tower with a Asus A7N8X Deluxe REV 2.0 Motherboard, AMD Athlon XP 3200+,Samsung 512MB DDR PC3200 X 2 ( 1 Gig ), 16X DVD-ROM, Seagate Barracuda 120GB 8MB Cache Serial ATA Hard Drive, Lite-On 52/32/52 CD-RW,with a BFG Geforce FX 5950 Ultra 256MB bringing up the rear and believe me with anti aliasing on and everything wide open on HL2,Doom 3 this computer has never stuttered once that I know of and its got a few components smaller than yours, but I do make sure I Defrag before I ever install a game. Also I use "End-It-All" to shut everything off in the background before playing my games.

Sounds like you have a good machine there, just be cool and listen to these guys for I know most of them do know what they are talking about. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Wild_Hog
03-07-2005, 03:01 PM
Man...I dream about playing with FSAA and AF... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif