PDA

View Full Version : Someone help me....

Secretaznman
04-11-2005, 06:58 PM
Here is my current situation. My motherboard doesn't support AGP or PCI-E x16. I do have some options for it. I was thinking of buying a new motherboard for this pre-built computer, but I heard that I would have to:

A) Buy a retail version of Windows to install a new OEM.
and
B) Rewrite the BIOS.

Does anyone know how to write BIOS? I heard that if you buy a new motherboard, it would come with a CD that u pop in and it'll do everything for you, but I don't know if this is true. If you were in my position, what would you do?

Secretaznman
04-11-2005, 06:58 PM
Here is my current situation. My motherboard doesn't support AGP or PCI-E x16. I do have some options for it. I was thinking of buying a new motherboard for this pre-built computer, but I heard that I would have to:

A) Buy a retail version of Windows to install a new OEM.
and
B) Rewrite the BIOS.

Does anyone know how to write BIOS? I heard that if you buy a new motherboard, it would come with a CD that u pop in and it'll do everything for you, but I don't know if this is true. If you were in my position, what would you do?

quillan
04-11-2005, 07:52 PM
What type of computer do you currently have? The new motherboard will already have the BIOS installed on it; it's in a chip that is already plugged into a socket. That would only need to be updated to fix problems or add new functionality. Most computer systems come with an OEM version of Windows, and they should have given you the disk. Since you have no AGP slot, I've got to assume that it's a proprietary system, in which case you may need more than just a motherboard. However, assuming you've got the Windows disk, and can get the motherboard installed just fine, then you'd be able to use your existing Windows disk to install onto the hard drive. Technically you could use the existing hard drive as is, but I don't recommend it with a new motherboard.