PDA

View Full Version : Sorry...all out of patience vote with yer feet

cookymonster666
11-22-2003, 10:31 AM
I bought Uru last Saturday(it was the start of a weeks holiday for me and I wanted something restful to do for the week),specifically for the online component.Here I am a week later my holiday is over and I still haven't managed to play it.The offline component is very interesting and all that but it isn't very long and it certainly isn't worth 40 pounds.
Then I see on the D'ni R C website they're giving away prizes in an online competition that I can't enter!!!!!WTF!
Before anyone gives me the 'i'm Quinn the eskimo and I don't jump queue'line...don't bother.I was in a queue..at the game shop.Then my card was swiped,funds were transferred and now I'm not in a queue.
Anyway...after a week of waiting..i've returned the game to the store.Got my money back.I URGE anyone who's being mucked about to do the same.just take it back,forget Uru and forget about Cyan.

[This message was edited by cookymonster666 on Sat November 22 2003 at 09:40 AM.]

cookymonster666
11-22-2003, 10:31 AM
I bought Uru last Saturday(it was the start of a weeks holiday for me and I wanted something restful to do for the week),specifically for the online component.Here I am a week later my holiday is over and I still haven't managed to play it.The offline component is very interesting and all that but it isn't very long and it certainly isn't worth 40 pounds.
Then I see on the D'ni R C website they're giving away prizes in an online competition that I can't enter!!!!!WTF!
Before anyone gives me the 'i'm Quinn the eskimo and I don't jump queue'line...don't bother.I was in a queue..at the game shop.Then my card was swiped,funds were transferred and now I'm not in a queue.
Anyway...after a week of waiting..i've returned the game to the store.Got my money back.I URGE anyone who's being mucked about to do the same.just take it back,forget Uru and forget about Cyan.

[This message was edited by cookymonster666 on Sat November 22 2003 at 09:40 AM.]

Naquiel
11-22-2003, 10:43 AM
Well theonline portion will be alot better if the devs hurry up and open up some of the areas. Ya, there really is nothing to do in live, but play kick the cone with some one, or find the occasional bug.

The devs really need to open more areas to keep us interested.

To bad you took back the game, you are just going to miss out when live gets fully open. And to let you know, you were not being charged yet for live. Prologe is free till there done and when it was done you still get you free month of play before paying for the online content.

Sometimes good things come if you wait. And about the prizes, you only get them if you happen to be were they are at in live and even if your online, i have missed to 2 times they had something special(the prize giveaway and the chat with Rand).Other that that you really not missing anything.

Support bactiria-its the only culture some people have.

Dillenger69
11-22-2003, 10:50 AM
We've been playing kick the cone for the last year or so. Are marker games working yet? how about ayoheek? they help fill the time.

what they need to do is get the network code optimized. But I'm sure they know that and are feverishly working on it. Hopefully to get things stabilized to the point of not driving people off with delays.

They are in a no win situation here. If they had opened the gates and let everyone in, people would be conplaining about crashes, lag, and whatnot. They let 500 people in a week ago, some select few over the course of the week, and the'll let another batch in on Monday. probably followed again with a select trickle during the week with another flood next monday.

what would you rather have? access to a crashed non-server? or a wait for a stable environment? I'd rather wait. I'll just hang outon the surface here and pretend that Zandi is busy shuffling papers somewhere and looking for my lost shot record or something.

- - - -
http://www.wonderwedge.org/images/banners/milkad2.jpg
An administrator at Clockwork Orange BBS (http://www.clockworkorangebbs.org/) - The censorship free place to be.
Fah tehrthtehs trehahno pahrah ... one of the group at the big water, an Uru neighborhood.
Uru - It's like Daleks playing soccer.

Speedyserd
11-22-2003, 10:54 AM
Ever tried "spin the cone"? It's like "spin the bottle"... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Naquiel
11-22-2003, 10:55 AM
Dillenger69, out of the 175+ ppl that are in my neighborhood, only about 10 ppl show up and there usally online for only about an hour. The only thing to pass the time was to ether play kick the cone or hide and seek in someones ages.

I say that the devs really need to open up more things for us to do.

Homer6
11-22-2003, 11:02 AM
When you buy a new car, doesn't the manual tell you to drive at a certain speed during the engine breakin period? Aren't you patient during this period because of the large sum you paid?

Why is it then that a simple PC game can have such a diverse affect? Why do you feel the immediate access to the online portion is that important to you? Can't there be a period of breakin for servers? Something this trival should not be causing this type of reaction in people; your house being distroyed, friends dying, your economy being in shambles, etc. should be important. But NOT a silly PC game.

Remember the important things.....as you turn on your computer. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Naquiel
11-22-2003, 11:09 AM
Well right now the devs are trying to stress test the servers, they need ppl in the game to see how they react with the enviroment. But with the lack of things to do, ppl are just not coming in. from this the devs will not have the amount of ppl they need to properlv test the game. Do you see where im getting at.

The more ppl they keep online, the faster the testing will be completed, the lower amount of ppl online will slow things down because there not getting the right results their looking for.

I think the devs really need to add more stuff for us to do, even if its laggy or it tosses us out of the game so they will know where to look for problems.

Homer6
11-22-2003, 11:15 AM
Naquiel, I can understand what you are saying, but I have to wonder if you understand that fast testing of electronic equipment is not necessary a good thing? Yes more people would add more stress to the servers, but without knowing exactly what work is being done, making spectulative suggestions is not fruitful. The best recourse for everyone is to be patient.

================================================== ===============
Remember the important things.....as you turn on your computer. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Naquiel
11-22-2003, 11:20 AM
Well im am patient, im even in urulive. I just see that the devs are taking a long time to keep the few of us that are there interested in the game for the testing.

Last night i was on for 3 hours and i didnt see more than 30-40 ppl on. I dont know about you but that is not enough ppl to properly stress test a server.

Alkyne
11-22-2003, 11:42 AM
I talked with someone from Cyan today. It seems that Ubi is actually responsible for the invites, not Cyan. Also addressing the limited invitations as of late, it seems that they have run into a bug that did not even show up during the beta. I should think that the lack of explainations is due to them working very hard to fix this so that normal invitations can commence. needless to say that the invites have been much more limited than advertised due to this. So lets all respect the fact that they're working hard and give them a break. Once the problem is fixed I'm sure the pace will quicken to make up for the lost time.

CuzinJohn
11-22-2003, 11:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Naquiel:
Last night i was on for 3 hours and i didnt see more than 30-40 ppl on. I dont know about you but that is not enough ppl to properly stress test a server.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Naquiel:

I'm not sure if you were in the Beta or not, but I was, and I can recall the servers lagging horribly if around 10 players were in the same age at the same time, and crashing HARD if more than 20 or so were there. So for you to say 30-40 players were milling around, that itself is a BIG improvement.

Dillenger69
11-22-2003, 11:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alkyne:
I talked with someone from Cyan today. It seems that Ubi is actually responsible for the invites, not Cyan. Also addressing the limited invitations as of late, it seems that they have run into a bug that did not even show up during the beta. I should think that the lack of explainations is due to them working very hard to fix this so that normal invitations can commence. needless to say that the invites have been much more limited than advertised due to this. So lets all respect the fact that they're working hard and give them a break. Once the problem is fixed I'm sure the pace will quicken to make up for the lost time.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not suprised there. That's a typical software company for you. The people who know what's going on are too busy to talk to anyone. The people who are supposed to disseminate information can't get answers, therefore, can't tell us anything. Getting developers to answer email is like pulling teeth sometimes. Lack of communication is a halmark trait of the software industry.

- - - -
http://www.wonderwedge.org/images/banners/milkad2.jpg
An administrator at Clockwork Orange BBS (http://www.clockworkorangebbs.org/) - The censorship free place to be.
Fah tehrthtehs trehahno pahrah ... one of the group at the big water, an Uru neighborhood.
Uru - It's like Daleks playing soccer.

sobeone82
11-22-2003, 12:15 PM
yup, communication is always tough in this industry. Wonder if they are working this weekend?

mystmum
11-22-2003, 04:46 PM
If you'd been around Ubi's forums for any lenght of time, you'd know they all pack up and buzz off at 5pm Friday. The forum servers can crash and burn over the weekend and no one would know until Monday (which is usually by Tuesday my time).
I wouldn't be in the slightest surprised if they were working the same way with the game servers.

Temis
11-22-2003, 04:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Speedyserd:
Ever tried "spin the cone"? It's like "spin the bottle"... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Speedy! you little rascal ... woo hoo! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

(note to self: go find an available cone ....)

Rocky1138
11-22-2003, 04:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cookymonster666:
Anyway...after a week of waiting..i've returned the game to the store.Got my money back.I URGE anyone who's being mucked about to do the same.just take it back,forget Uru and forget about Cyan.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank heavens. That's one less we'll have to deal with when we all get online http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

zeroexmachina
11-22-2003, 05:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cookymonster666:

[This message was edited by cookymonster666 on Sat November 22 2003 at 09:40 AM.]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dealt with these types when i worked at Electronics Boutique

They were my favourite customers, easly moulded with the fantastic words of "Sorry no refund.. it has a CDKey" ... they would then yell and scream.. whilst im standing there counting to see how long this one will string a line of usual stupid crying together till they finished, and when they did id say "Sorry no refund, it has a CDKey"

I had a special box of tissues underneath if they decided to take it further and continue this time with obscenities... "Tissue princess?"

Same goes here... dont whinge about the makers, whinge about the company thats funding it.. they are the real key to every major screwup, with every game.

"Has to meet this deadline" is the worst words for both dev team and for the players.

Heres a example.. Homeworld2 has LOADS of bugs.. but Sierra wont allow another patch till they say so... the company that made it Relic cant do anything.... not officialy.. so they are putting together a unnoficial patch..

cookymonster666
11-22-2003, 06:20 PM
You'd have made my cry and offered me a tissue?

I think not

you'd have called me sir and done what I asked.

Good career move was it?...working in Electronics Boutique? spending everyday in the Mall but not having any money? ROFLMAO

zeroexmachina
11-22-2003, 06:26 PM
You'd have made my cry and offered me a tissue?

I think not

you'd have called me sir and done what I asked.

Good career move was it?...working in Electronics Boutique? spending everyday in the Mall but not having any money? ROFLMAO<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

was a job till i finished off my course and now i work for myself and make a tidy profit..

and no i wouldnt have... company policy is greater than your pathetic little crys ... thats just the way it is.... Things will never change.

if you continued to persist i would have asked you to leave, then if you didnt leave id call security and they can deal with your winging as i laugh you out of my store.

bie now... and yes im glad we have less one of these people who will tote up and down "I LOVE CYAN" but when it comes to the crunch their patheticly fragile minds cannot fathom human error, and anything larger than the scope of their Dell's fantastic price range and list of features.

cookymonster666
11-22-2003, 06:40 PM
Lol

except..I returned a game to Electronics Boutique only 3 weeks ago.(Tomb Raider as it happens).I buy games all the time (amongst other software)On the day I bought Uru I also bought Need For Speed Underground for PC,Tony Hawke Underground for my eldest sons Xbox and Mario Kart Double dash for my daughters Cube.But..I will always return software that doesn't live up to expectations or is buggy, and I feel others should too.

BTW, it's easy to be mouthy whilst you remain anonymous..you haven't met me.But I can assure you, you wouldn't have argued back..It's not the response I tend to generate. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

zeroexmachina
11-22-2003, 07:07 PM
Lol

except..I returned a game to Electronics Boutique only 3 weeks ago.(Tomb Raider as it happens).I buy games all the time (amongst other software)On the day I bought Uru I also bought Need For Speed Underground for PC,Tony Hawke Underground for my eldest sons Xbox and Mario Kart Double dash for my daughters Cube.But..I will always return software that doesn't live up to expectations or is buggy, and I feel others should too.

BTW, it's easy to be mouthy whilst you remain anonymous..you haven't met me.But I can assure you, you wouldn't have argued back..It's not the response I tend to generate. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fair call (reffering to last paragraph) Trust me pysical size dosnt phase me.

also.. interesting demographics there, Son Xbox, Daughter GCN...
Question, what are your thoughts on NFS:U

also a protip here.. if you can, sneak a few of your mates in get some grog, put Super Smash Brothers Melee into the Cube, drink yourselfs stupid... and play four player... it sounds stupid.. but its seriously some of the best times ive had.. for some reason grog + SSBM is a winning combination... alas SSBM was a mediocre game before and after the effects of Alcohol.

By the way i live in Australia.. and im sure that Tomb Raider dosnt have a CDKey.

the reason for this policy is basicly whos to say that you havent bought it.. and just jotted down the CDKey somewhere, and copyed it...
they cant even let you swap it for something else... Tomb Raider would have been fine since well.. few reasons.. 1.) Lack of CDKey 2.) Its old noone wants it 3.) Its linear as all hell, one of the worst games ive ever played in my life.. spoze large brests do make the difference... sadly... gone are the days of old where gameplay storyline were the main focus's

Now its all about which game has the hottest graphics, and which game has the most gore, and which game has the multiplayer with the killing and the cool guns and stuff...

thats why i personaly have kept my copy of URU, the Cyan Franchise sticks me in the wayback machine to when i was 11 years old, and playing Myst for the first time... sure it wasnt the first game id played.. but it was the only game that has ever left me with such a huge imprint.... (Just beats Monkey Island!)

the way the world works with video games is its buggy for the first few months.. its the way it works.. if you know much about programming you know its an mammoth effort that will result in bugs.. no matter how many times you re-code it

I never return software for one reason, because i understand the time and effort put into these things.. and i understand that that costs, and that if just a few people buy the game.... it means they can grow and expand upon their failures... not just loose money.

The more money the games industry makes the better it will get, taking it back wont teach them a lesson... cause the company above them publishing the game wont want to do something so radical again.. cause its not cost effective..

This is whats killing the games industry.. i seriously believe that in todays climate... that if Myst was to be released and it was still the first of its kind like it was... it wouldnt have been released, as it was too finantialy inviable.. too radical.. needs more violence, tits, and stupidly big guns with stupidly large crap flying everywhere..

Homer6
11-22-2003, 07:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sobeone82:
yup, communication is always tough in this industry. Wonder if they are working this weekend?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Communication problems are not limited to just the computer industry, but are inherent to any large industry.

And keeping customers informed has always been a very big problem for many large industries. And yet, some companies have found ways to keep their customers informed when there is a problem that is being repaired. Besides the newness of a product, keeping customers uninformed is another way to cause some of what has been seen on this forum, not to mention the loss of customer support. So, even if the news is canned replies, customers knowing something is being taken care of is better than the customer building a fire under their attitudes.

cookymonster666
11-22-2003, 08:08 PM
Whilst I understand your thoughts about the Software industry losing money and to some degree I concurr.It's a competitive world,the games they make are 'product' and they should have to fight to keep their market share.Maybe I am more 'militant' than the average, but i've been around computers since the ZX81 and I can't abide buggy or incomplete software.Not that i'm saying Uru is buggy (it played fine)but I'd finished it in a few days and without the live component it wasn't worth 40 quid IMO.FFS i'm still playing Grand Prix Legends after 4 years.

The lad has an xbox because it'll stream media off the home lan and I won't buy him a PC.The daughter has a cube because it was purple (I think)

NFSU is very very good.I'm usually more a fan of racing Sims than arcade games, but I do like this one (it has more in common with wipeout than say F1C, but that ain't neccesarily a bad thing).

Anyway, it's 3am , I pissed ,stoned and going to bed.I probably wont pop my head in this forum again.Enjoy your game everyone and I hope you all get to play online soon.

Regards

Cooky

TribbleOutcast
11-22-2003, 08:53 PM
Topics like this make kitty cry!

http://www.superlaugh.com/pets/funny.jpg

maztec
11-22-2003, 09:14 PM
TribbleOutcast, I LOVE THAT PIC!