PDA

View Full Version : Why does everybody love Polar Base, but hate Steel Squat?

The_Niar-Guy
04-02-2007, 06:35 AM
Hi,
I think this is pretty weird. People likes Polar Base, but hates Steel Squat - why?
Steel Squat is a great map - balanced, good atmosphere and it's different.
Polar Base? It's unbalanced and has nothing to do with stealth... It's just about running away - DA style. Atleast it has a new theme, but snow is white! - and the spy is black! Jeez. Maybe the Camo Suit can help, but still it's an unbalanced map.
Am I the only one, that hates Polar Base, but loves Steel Squat?

The_Niar-Guy
04-02-2007, 06:35 AM
Hi,
I think this is pretty weird. People likes Polar Base, but hates Steel Squat - why?
Steel Squat is a great map - balanced, good atmosphere and it's different.
Polar Base? It's unbalanced and has nothing to do with stealth... It's just about running away - DA style. Atleast it has a new theme, but snow is white! - and the spy is black! Jeez. Maybe the Camo Suit can help, but still it's an unbalanced map.
Am I the only one, that hates Polar Base, but loves Steel Squat?

scworld
04-02-2007, 08:44 AM
Are you talking for Xbox?
On PC, I think Steel Squat is more played than Polar Base or UMP Polar Base (without the bugs of the normal one)

The_Niar-Guy
04-02-2007, 09:58 AM
I'm on PC.
But you gotta be kiddin me. Steel Squat more played than Polar Base? - NEVER. I often see servers with Polar Base, but almost never with Steel Squat. I have met a bunch of people that had Polar Base, but not Steel Squat. Never someone with Steel Squat, and no Polar Base.
Also, when I make a server with Steel Squat, no one joins. When I make a server with Polar Base, people starts to join.
Why does most of the SC:CT players prefer such a bad map?

samfisher425
04-02-2007, 03:04 PM
Hey i got a question do people play Chaos Theory for PC? Do you think there will be a possible way to connect my usb 360 controller so I can play spy with that sucker. Because I played the CT beta and I was so terrible on spy with a keyboard and mouse. I hope convictions is good. DA is alright but it gets boring plus my xbox is being sent in and im looking for a game to play.

The_Niar-Guy
04-02-2007, 04:40 PM
I have no idea, and it's pretty off topic.. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/353.gif

Zedblade
04-02-2007, 04:52 PM
The PC community plays Steel Squat more then Polar Base. The general consensus (of those who matter) is that Polar Base is a laggy crappy map that should have never seen the light of day. Thankfully, some amazing member of the community used his god like powers to create the amazing UMP Polar Base that fixes all the errors Ubisoft made.

The_Niar-Guy
04-03-2007, 05:02 AM
Polar Base sux. But it isn't laggy. I still think, that it's more played than Steel Squat. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

Zedblade
04-03-2007, 10:45 AM
Think what you want. Even if its wrong. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

ps. I didn't mean laggy, but buggy and glitchy. It was obviously not tested before it was released.

element54
04-03-2007, 01:19 PM
What are you talking about? The mapper who made Polar Base obviously wanted it so that when the spies grabbed a merc anywhere near the generator that they wouldn't be able to break their necks and run away. OMG you NOOOB....

The_Niar-Guy
04-03-2007, 01:42 PM
Well. Zedblade, we're probably just online at different times.
Anyways, POLAR BASE SUX TO DA MAX.

Zedblade
04-03-2007, 02:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The_Niar-Guy:
Anyways, POLAR BASE SUX TO DA MAX. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. But UMP Polar Base doesn't.

I like the map's layout and theme. Its balanced well, its just really buggy and obviously pushed out without testing. Like element said, there is a glitch that prevents the spies from breaking necks around the generator, there were some collision issues around the fense, some of the lasers didn't lock the objective they were guarding, plus they were not even named. (Thats why you get the "Unnamed Trigger Alarm."

All of that (plus more) is fixed in the UMP Polar Base (which if you haven't figured out, I did.) Which make the map one of my favorites.

Anyway, nobody hates Steel SQuat. If your seeing polar base a lot, its just the hot 'deathmatch' map now. Overall though, Steel Squat is played more.

The_Niar-Guy
04-03-2007, 04:26 PM
I do like the theme too. And I have also tried the UMP version. It's better - much better. But I think the map is very unbalanced - too hard to be stealthy.
And I still believe, that I see Polar Base more often in the lobby than Steel Squat, and I often hear people talking bad about that map. But never about Polar Base. Kinda weird, huh?