PDA

View Full Version : Is there a snorkel for the Type XVIII submarine in U boat career?

Dron22
01-26-2010, 11:00 AM
I just got the Walther Type XVIII submarine in German career, and I think these advanced submarines were equiped with a snorkel, so is there one in the game?
If so, how do I use it?
By the way I play the stock version, no mods.

Wolferz
01-26-2010, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Dron22:
I just got the Walther Type XVIII submarine in German career, and I think these advanced submarines were equiped with a snorkel, so is there one in the game?
If so, how do I use it?
By the way I play the stock version, no mods.

Walter drive doesn't require a snorkel, so it's not in there. It's a fantasy, sub by the way. The actual XVIII never really made it off the drawing board and into service.
Contracts were granted to build two of them, but were cancelled in favor of the XXI's. It was more of a prototype for the XXI.

Type XXI U-boat (http://www.uboat.net/types/xviii.htm)

Dron22
01-26-2010, 07:07 PM
I think this was a completed design cancelled at the last minute, but it was in many ways made with similar characteritics as the type XXI which I believe had a snorkel.
What do you mean it does not need one? A snorkel would allow it to get oxygen without surfacing and stay hidden from aircraft, an important equipement that helped U boats survive after 1943.

Wolferz
01-27-2010, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by Dron22:
I think this was a completed design cancelled at the last minute, but it was in many ways made with similar characteritics as the type XXI which I believe had a snorkel.
What do you mean it does not need one? A snorkel would allow it to get oxygen without surfacing and stay hidden from aircraft, an important equipement that helped U boats survive after 1943.

The XVIII was designed to use the Walther drive which did not require oxygen to run. So it didn't need a snorkel. It used the same exotic fuel as the Comet aircraft.

The XXI was developed from the XVIII's plans. It did have a snorkel.