PDA

View Full Version : Uru only on 1 CD? Too small?

poutrew
11-23-2003, 02:10 PM
When I first opened up the Uru box, I admit I was a bit surprised upon seeing only one CD. Riven, and Myst3: Exile are huge games 5 and 4 disks, respectivley. Since I am not done with Uru, I have no real way to judge if the game is too small. Or, are they using new compression methods that squeeze 5 CDs onto one? I know the emphasis seems to be on the "live" aspect of the game but I am hoping the offline portion hasn't suffered any.

Any observations?

poutrew
11-23-2003, 02:10 PM
When I first opened up the Uru box, I admit I was a bit surprised upon seeing only one CD. Riven, and Myst3: Exile are huge games 5 and 4 disks, respectivley. Since I am not done with Uru, I have no real way to judge if the game is too small. Or, are they using new compression methods that squeeze 5 CDs onto one? I know the emphasis seems to be on the "live" aspect of the game but I am hoping the offline portion hasn't suffered any.

Any observations?

Capt_Kneebone
11-23-2003, 02:28 PM
There was a good thread on this in the old forum. From what I remember the key points were:

1.URU uses 3D engine which is painting textures on to polygons, etc whereas the 'old' games used completely pre-rendered scenery resulting in a much greater file size.
2. The disk compression is very efficient; the whole game is installed to your hard drive and fills about 1.5 Gb after the install of which 60% is the sound files!

Hope that helps your understanding. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I'm still working through URU Prime but to me it compares well with Riven for graphics and atmosphere and the puzzles are harder than Exile and Myst and at least similar to Riven.

Captain Kneebone http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

mszv
11-23-2003, 02:31 PM
Hi,
The data on the CD is compressed. Also, Uru is a 3D game, the graphics are not prerendered. 3D games tend to be smaller, with regards to what you need on the cd, not with regards to the size of the finished game. I thought Uru was longer than Exile, and it was a nice sized game.

Morrowing is on one CD and Morrowind is a huge game!

Oh just saw Captain Kneebone and I both posted at about the same time. Good post, Captain Kneebone!

Regards, mszv
Game name: amarez
KI #: have to find it
Put that down, you are not in a game, this is my life!

1.2GH, 640MB, GeForce4 TI 4200 128MB, Santa Cruz Surround Sound, DSL, 1200kbps down/100 kbps up, wired/wireless home network, Linksys router

kparish
11-23-2003, 04:24 PM
One difference that I noticed between URU and RIVEN/EXILE is that with RIVEN/EXILE you had to swap CD's depending on where you were in the GAME which means that everything was probably not compressed. URU installs the Game to the HD which allows the game to be completely compressed on the CD.

Coronagold
11-23-2003, 05:44 PM
The install alone should've let you know that this was a big game. Remember the "Decompressing Files" barberpole box and how long it took?

http://sargem.hypermart.net/RelJump1sigJ.jpg

khuunah
11-24-2003, 10:41 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kparish:
One difference that I noticed between URU and RIVEN/EXILE is that with RIVEN/EXILE you had to swap CD's depending on where you were in the GAME which means that everything was probably not compressed. URU installs the Game to the HD which allows the game to be completely compressed on the CD.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

that's not the difference - when the game is stored as a bunch of still images (like the old Myst/Riven was), it takes a LOT of space, even with compression. When the game is stored as a bunch of 3D objects with textures, it's a lot smaller. I'd bet the whole set of 3D data for the offline game is smaller than just the images for one age in the original Myst.