PDA

View Full Version : Activation - Multiple Installs

fragznet81
12-17-2006, 12:45 PM
I bought the game from Ubi's digital store, downloaded it from D2D.

At first I installed it on my XPS laptop, but since the performance was really poor I decided to install it on my desktop computer instead. I uninstalled it from the laptop and after installing it on my desktop I could'nt get the activation to work. It gives me the error message : "Activation FAILED : unknown error".

I called Ubi's tech support, and they claimed they could not do anything since the downloaded version's activation was handled by D2D. I tried tech support on the D2D site and I'm still waiting for an answer after 3 days...

Please Ubi, don't tell me this game can only be installed on one computer.

dnarud
12-17-2006, 05:27 PM
You have to email support and they can reset it so that you can activate it again. Mine did the same thing. I bought mine through the ubi.com store and I was able to request the reset through Ubi Support.

GrimlockCW
12-17-2006, 07:54 PM
it can only be installed on one system if you use the Digital Distribution method to purchase it.

install it on a second and the original install on the first system will deactivate.

this is the new anti-piracy thing, aside from the limited installation key use, though i guess D2D has laxed off and now permits refreshes, as i'd hope since 5 installs isn't jack for PC enthusiasts that rebuild every so often and would like to continue playing their payed for programs.
Even M$ caved in on this whole issue.

fragznet81
12-17-2006, 10:43 PM
Would you have the email address for Ubi Support? Can't find it on their web site...

Originally posted by dnarud:
You have to email support and they can reset it so that you can activate it again. Mine did the same thing. I bought mine through the ubi.com store and I was able to request the reset through Ubi Support.

dnarud
12-18-2006, 07:55 AM
You can fill out a ticket online. Go to their support site: http://www.ubi.com/us/support/default.aspx

Click on "Search the Knowledge Base", and then "Ask a Question".

And you can have it installed on multiple computers, I have done it. I go back and forth between my work computer and home computer.

Series2005
12-18-2006, 09:44 AM
I also got my game off of direct2drive, so what happens if I want to reinstall it after a reformat? you've got me worried now

darkshimmer
12-23-2006, 09:01 AM
thats the problem i have right now. I upgraded my system a bit to handle all my games better, but somehow my registry got all messed up and windows just kept rebooting on its own. Had to format and reinstall. Now i get a activation failed.

I love this part. "IF automatic activation fails you can obtain an unlock code by contacting UBISOFT support at" then it has a link to there support site. Good luck finding anything on manual activation on the support site anywhere. Been waiting 2 days for a reply from both UBI and D2D. Sorry but if i paid for the game, online or CD/DVD i should be able to install it where ever and how many times i want as long as i have a valid key.

xoops
12-23-2006, 09:22 AM
I have never used D2D so I have some questions.

1) If you reformat your hard drive, all the data of the HD AND THE REGISTRY are gone, right?

2) Do you have to be connected to the Internet to make an activation?

If the answer to 2 is yes, then the number of re-installs and activations you've done is recorded in the database of D2D and is checked there upon any new activation. Sounds straightforward I know but...

bjmarler1
01-12-2007, 07:54 PM
I'm living through this problem right now. I bought a new motherboard, video card, and powersupply. So, I had to re-install Win XP.

Now my Vegas download from direct2drive will not "activate." I've tried the usual stuff that direct2drive tells you. Here is their first reply back to me:

To obtain the manual Activation Code visit your Direct2Drive account page. You will find the code listed next to your game title. If you see no code, your game is not activated by TryMedia.

If you did not use Internet Explorer and download from your Direct2Drive account, then your cookie was not saved for Trymedia. Please open Internet Explorer and go to your Direct2Drive account. http://www.direct2drive.com/account.aspx Then click the Download button next to your game title. Cancel the download. Now go to your game and launch the game. Automatic Activation will initiate instead of manual activation.

I noticed that when the Vegas authenticate failed, there was a button to "go to ubi.com and request a manual unlock code." I have to say that the place on ubi.com to request that was hid VERY DEEP in the support pages. Not a great thing for the normal person. So, I just did that tonight. Hopefully they will send me something soon so I can try out my new hardware.

Mowtin
01-12-2007, 11:14 PM
I had the same problem when I installed it on a second pc. I just emailed tech support and they reset it so I could install a second. Now I can play LAN games with another person.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

AMD X2 4200 @ 2.6
2X1G OCZ Platinum
8800 GTS @ 620/950
Sound Blaster Live! (it works)
22" CRT

bjmarler1
01-13-2007, 08:19 AM
Thanks. I just got it fixed. The support at direct2drive actually emailed me back and asked me for the info I sent to Ubi.com. So, I emailed him my key and unlock request #. He then emailed me back an "unlock code" in about 30 min. Not too bad after all.