PDA

View Full Version : I'm having a lot of trouble...

heysus2001
01-22-2007, 05:47 PM
Ok, so, i'm having this error. To lay the preface up, I get a "cannont 'read'memory" error. Now, i've downloaded the patch, 2 different times, from two different mirrors, to no avail. I've gone through the trouble shooting, making my available virtual memory to 4096 both minimum and maximum.
My specs are :
PCIe 2056 ATI Raedeon 6 series,
2 gigs of RAM,
3.2 gig Proccessor (pentium),
Windows XP media center,
38+ gigs of hard drive space.

Now, i'm pretty ticked off that i paid $50 for a game, spent over an hour loading it, and getting passed the Black screen. With that said, i either want to know a way to fix this, or i'm just going to get my money back. I've bought 3 different CD's. Two from Walmart, and this last one from Circut City, i've downloaded it off Steam. The list goes on. Any suggestions or possible fixes will be VERY appreciated.
Thanks.

heysus2001
01-22-2007, 05:47 PM
Ok, so, i'm having this error. To lay the preface up, I get a "cannont 'read'memory" error. Now, i've downloaded the patch, 2 different times, from two different mirrors, to no avail. I've gone through the trouble shooting, making my available virtual memory to 4096 both minimum and maximum.
My specs are :
PCIe 2056 ATI Raedeon 6 series,
2 gigs of RAM,
3.2 gig Proccessor (pentium),
Windows XP media center,
38+ gigs of hard drive space.

Now, i'm pretty ticked off that i paid $50 for a game, spent over an hour loading it, and getting passed the Black screen. With that said, i either want to know a way to fix this, or i'm just going to get my money back. I've bought 3 different CD's. Two from Walmart, and this last one from Circut City, i've downloaded it off Steam. The list goes on. Any suggestions or possible fixes will be VERY appreciated.
Thanks.

Quenaelin
01-23-2007, 07:51 AM
I got these memory read errors also occasionally when trying to restart game after quitting it. Try different sizes virtual memory, try without any virtual memory, 2 gigs should be enough.

Hamsterspawn
01-23-2007, 03:51 PM
Are they still charging that much in america!?!?

I got mine for 15, inc P&P.

My solution to this problem was to UPDATE my catalyst drivers (dl new ones, take the old ones off, restart, install new drivers) - [Note my .Net framework 2 install was dodgy too, i fixed that.]

I also had to turn off HDR/Bloom (even though my card should pwn it!)

Hope that helps.... Oh and by the way, i installed from DVD both portions at once, then updated through steam.

I'm using something along the lines of

X1950 pro (512 meg card)
3700+ amd
2 gigs of ram
Win XP Pro
Too much space left. My PC is far to tidy atm.