PDA

View Full Version : Book-Game

FilipinoNinja67
02-20-2010, 03:23 PM
I was wondering if there will be things form the book to be included in the game like have a mission where you play as [SPOILER] Noboru when he had to assassinate the family but only completed it halfway? thatd be good.

ANd i was wondering how much the game influenced the book. And if there will be any missions from the book to be included in the game like the opening of conviction the book, that sounds like it would be awesome.

sgt_brent
02-20-2010, 03:26 PM
The books are not affected by the games.. The games are not affected by the books..

If you're read the books and played the games - You'd know this already..

FilipinoNinja67
02-20-2010, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by sgt_brent:
The books are not affected by the games.. The games are not affected by the books..

Well cnovictio is the only game and book that ive read because it is the one that looked the most interesting.

sgt_brent
02-20-2010, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Andrew116:
Well cnovictio is the only game and book that ive read because it is the one that looked the most interesting.

As far as the books go; I've read them all and Conviction/Endgame were the "worst".. I hate saying "worst" cause it makes it sound bad - Which they weren't.. But it's just the other books are a LOT better.. You should really read all the books - They're really good.. 'Fallout' is my personal favourite..

But yeah - The two forms of Splinter Cell, (Book and game), have never been hand in hand.. Different stories completely..

SilencedScream0
02-20-2010, 08:33 PM
Right, stories have been different and, while they do have most of the same main cast (i.e. Sam, Lambert, Sarah, etc.), there aren't that many similarities.

I've read a few previews though that have speculated that the book and game will have some kind of relation, but...
I really hope not. Those kinds of things usually (read: not always, just most of the time) tend to fall through when they rely too much on one another.

sammyboy1981
02-20-2010, 09:04 PM
As far as the books go; I've read them all and Conviction/Endgame were the "worst".. I hate saying "worst" cause it makes it sound bad - Which they weren't.. But it's just the other books are a LOT better.. You should really read all the books - They're really good.. 'Fallout' is my personal favourite..

But yeah - The two forms of Splinter Cell, (Book and game), have never been hand in hand.. Different stories completely..

You're right there, Brent...Conv/Endgame were the worst (and IMO, not very good either). Fallout is the best.

What I like about the books is that they're vague enough to possibly be considered canon (especially the first four books...as they're really just regular "missions" that could've happened anytime during SC game #1 and Double Agent). Even Conv/Endgame could possibly be canon IF YOU STRETCH YOUR IMAGINATION. To their credit, at least it continued the notion of Sam being a "fugitive" following the events of Double Agent. Think of it this way...(SPOILERS)...Sam becomes a fugitive at the end of DA, takes this secret "Grim-supplied" Conv/Endgame mission to find the Black Market Auction site...and by the end, is chilling in a government-paid vacation house in Europe. If you presume that Sam starts the new game CONVICTION back in the employ of 3rd Ech (which the early teaser trailer would suggest), then you've come full circle.

It'd be nice of UbiSoft to actually try and tie their canon together for their games a little better...MGS and even Zelda can do it, why not Sam??? I just saw they've released an Assassin's Creed paperback...I wonder if Ubi is a little more involved now with it???

sgt_brent
02-20-2010, 10:35 PM
^ Yeah, I just saw the Assassin's Creed book.. Wasn't overly interested in reading though, for some reason.. I agree with everything you say about Conviction/Endgame, Sammy.. That's about the only similarity the books have to the game is the 'fugitive' aspect.. A little weird how the books, all of a sudden, call Sam a fugitive.. Given the previous books, I mean.. Actually - It makes no sense at all now that we're talking about it..

I won't say Conviction was a bad read.. I enjoyed many parts of it, regardless whether or not it had that 'SC feel'; Which it didn't, because of (SPOILERS) Sam working as part of a team towards the end.. Didn't feel right, you know?.. Endgame was rated 'G........... A-Y'

peyton18allday
02-20-2010, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Andrew116:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sgt_brent:

Well cnovictio is the only game and book that ive read because it is the one that looked the most interesting. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
just to let u know, the first Sc book, was NOTHING like the first game. same basic formula, but story was completely different. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

sammyboy1981
02-20-2010, 11:15 PM
^ Yeah, I just saw the Assassin's Creed book.. Wasn't overly interested in reading though, for some reason.. I agree with everything you say about Conviction/Endgame, Sammy.. That's about the only similarity the books have to the game is the 'fugitive' aspect.. A little weird how the books, all of a sudden, call Sam a fugitive.. Given the previous books, I mean.. Actually - It makes no sense at all now that we're talking about it..

I won't say Conviction was a bad read.. I enjoyed many parts of it, regardless whether or not it had that 'SC feel'; Which it didn't, because of (SPOILERS) Sam working as part of a team towards the end.. Didn't feel right, you know?.. Endgame was rated 'G........... A-Y'

It's not weird at all when you look at the timing...those two books were SUPPOSED to be timed-releases with the new game (remember "due out it Sept 2009" anyone?) ...Penguin publishing probably just got sick of holding onto them after so many delays, and just released them. COnsidering that we've known for 3+ years now the events of Double Agent, it's not surprising that the author taylored the story accordingly. Also, games 1-3 aren't exactly canon-shattering anyways...so why would books 1-4 be???

Conviction was definately better than Endgame in that you were following the much more interesting Sam Fisher, and not the very annoying SC squad team. I did like the overall mission though (preventing the weapons tech sale).

Vulkurt
02-21-2010, 08:21 AM
I agree with several previous posts - the Conviction and Endgame books were horribly written (How many times is Google Maps referenced in Conviction?), and I'm not sure why the Rashomon approach was taken while completely abandoning first person narration. Isn't that the whole point of multiple perspectives? That was bizarre. As far as the books being canon, I do not see why they wouldn't be considered canon, given that Ubisoft representatives are acknowledged as collaborators, and Ubisoft is included in the copyright information. At the very least, they are officially endorsed by Ubisoft. The characters are mostly consistent (I didn't say entirely, but mostly). But after the first two books, the quality of writing took a nosedive, and these last two (especially Endgame), seems like a way to cash in on the franchise.