PDA

View Full Version : SH3 Wins PC Magazine Editor's Choice Award

The Avon Lady
08-05-2005, 04:45 AM
Did I miss the thread announcing this or is UbiSoft asleep at the helm? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

SH3 Review, July 13, 2005 (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1836908,00.asp).

Bravo! Well deserved!

viciii3
08-05-2005, 08:26 AM
PC Magazine must be the ones "asleep at the presses". "Editors Choice"???...they should stick to reviewing hard drives and such...SH3, as far as I've seen so far, with all the bugs and glitches and Starforce and on and on, doesn't even deserve an "honorable mention"!

(Where DID I put that SH2 disk??)

racks_please
08-05-2005, 09:04 AM
So cynical. This is a terrific sub sim. Not perfect, but what is?

bogusheadbox
08-05-2005, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by racks_please:
So cynical. This is a terrific sub sim. Not perfect, but what is?

Yeah i guess i should expect mediocrity and unfished products from everything i want to purchase.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

This game is not mediocre. But the polishing on it is.

I just can't understand why a bit more effort can't be made to turn this into a true classic. It has the potential. UBI just has to care and want to do it.
NOT !

Abihco
08-05-2005, 09:18 AM
Trust the French.. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

viciii3
08-05-2005, 09:53 AM
Not "perfect"?? I have had SH2, Sub Command, Jane's 688(I), Aces of the Deep and Tom Clancy's game. All of them, COMBINED, did not have the problems I've had with this dog.

You want to talk "
realism"...OK. I was not aware that sonarmen could be mutes. I was not aware that German U-boat deck guns came equipped with an invisible silencer, so that the gun makes absolutely no sound when firing. I was not aware that the U-boat command could change your torpedo loadout as soon as you turned your back. I was not aware that U-boats went to "all-stop" whenever you decided to change from a plotted course. That's only 5 days of bugs, with 4 days of night shifts included!

"So cynical"?? You bet your *** I am. I have NEVER spent money on a bigger dog than this is turning out to be.

I also don't see any helpful "answers" from you optimist here. I have divided all my problems into areas. I have posted my first question, in the help forum, on my biggest "bug"...sound (silent deck gun, mute sonarman) without a single helpful response as of 5 minutes ago. No one could even tell me if the lack of deck gun sound was a known bug or something only I am experiencing...that information would be helpful in troubleshooting...don't you think?!?! I also asked if the 1.4 "patch" (LOL!) was supposed to fix my mute sonarman...his jaws are flapping but no words are coming out...no response. That seemed like a simple enough question.

So...PLEASE...take off those rose colored glasses you are wearing and try and believe that many of us are having MAJOR problems with this dog. Instead of commenting on my cynisism, offer some useful info. I have searched every document, every post and read every **** "sticky" from here to Subsim.com and back.

The idea of a "community" is to help those with problems. When you ignore those with problems, because you don't have any, those who do have problems will begin to think of you as elitist *******s and get pissed off at your disdain. You have just put me there with your comment.

I have read every darn "document", forum or other source for my problems...no joy.

Instead of complaining about my "attitude" (GEE...I wonder where that came from???), perhaps some of you, quietly snickering at us poor losers who are having MAJOR problems with this dog, could step down off your throne's and offer some CONSTRUCTIVE help???

As I said, I have divided up my "issues" into categories and posted the first (sound) to the help forum. Perhaps you could take time from your busy day of looking down your nose and attempt to help me figure out if I'm dealing with known bugs or if I have a problem, on my system, which needs to be corrected.

Thank you so much for taking time from your busy day to respond to a poor slob who has to fight for every inch of SH3 to work.

Alienware
Intel P4 3.4
1 gb Corsair RAM
ATI Radeon X800 XT Platinum
Audigy2

GT182
08-05-2005, 10:04 AM
Here's constructive help Mr. Arrogance(viciii3). It's you computer! Hardware, drivers, whatever. I suggest you look into that before jumping in with a bunch of Horse Hockey.

Grow up and start acting your age, not you IQ. There are bugs in the game, but what you're stating has to do with your computer only, not SHIII, as others will tell your deaf ears. And with an attitude like that you are a "poor slob" as you say.

If you don't like the truth, then turn me into the moderators. Your kind of cr*p makes us all sick.

racks_please
08-05-2005, 10:33 AM
Man, that guy's disturbed. Mine works fine. Middle of the road gaming computer, latest drivers and such, a few minor mods...no significant problems. Very playable in my opinion. I don't have any motivation to try and help him with his attitude. Like a ticking time bomb...road rage kind of person.

Grey004
08-05-2005, 10:54 AM
Viciii3,

GT182 is right,it seems to me that atm your pc is ,as much use as" an ashtray fitted on a motorcycle".

As for silenced deck guns and mute sonarman,well I've never experienced such phenonema.I hear the report of the gun and my sonarman is very talkative,when I want him to be.

Try updating your drivers and get the newer version of "Windows Media Player",that'll fix your "bugs".
If that doesn't work,then invest in a new pc,because the new generation games will require higher stats,for them to work.

Also if you think that the game is not for you,fine,thats your perogative,just please don't burden us with your incessant decrying of the game.

bunkerratt
08-05-2005, 11:36 AM
no deck gun sound?..ahh..wrong..sounds fine on 5.1 surround...and as for the sonar man..sometimes i wish he would shut his soup cooler...asus p5gd2 deluxe p-4 3.0 ghz 1 gb pc2 pc3200 ati radeon x800xl sound blaster live 24 bit 200 gb seagate hdd 520 watt p/s

fizilbert
08-05-2005, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by GT182:
Your kind of cr*p makes us all sick.

Speak for yourself GT182. I happen to agree with him.

He's not arguing that its the game or his PC. His gripe is that NO ONE has been able to help him figure out WHAT it is. All he keeps hearing is a bunch of people, such as yourself, spouting on about how great a game it is, but for him it isn't, and that it MUST be his fault. For a lot of other people, it isn't a great game, and many of them are having problems that are unique.

Just look at bunkerratt's response: "no deck gun sound?..ahh..wrong..sounds fine on 5.1 surround." So it works fine for him. Obviously it's not working fine for viciii3. He says he has looked and looked and looked for solutions, and have found none. It doesn't matter whether it's his PC or not, for him, he has a 30 dollar drink coaster. And after getting little to no help here on the forums, other then the responses you guys have just gave him, I can understand why he's angry!

pcisbest
08-05-2005, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by racks_please:
Man, that guy's disturbed. Mine works fine. Middle of the road gaming computer, latest drivers and such, a few minor mods...no significant problems. Very playable in my opinion. I don't have any motivation to try and help him with his attitude. Like a ticking time bomb...road rage kind of person.

Same with me. I haven't encountered *any* game ruining bugs, only minor ones (like your watch crew not putting on rain gear until you dive and then resurface, or the sonar man occasionally going deaf, forcing me to use the station). YES, there are bugs, but here is a little revelation for you: all PC games will have bugs/glitches.

As long as they are not going to ruin your game, then I don't think ppl need to rant about them. There are also some things missing in SH3, like milkcows and wolfpacks, but I still find it to be the most immersive, engrossing game I own.

When I play SH3 on 100% realism, I get a sense of accomplishment and awe that I don't get in any FPS or Strat game. Let me put it this way: before SH3 I didn't even touch naval sims, now I can't stop reading up on Naval matters or uboats!

EDIT: And yes, generally when you have major issues with sound and/or video like was described, and these are not being experienced by a large amount of others, it has to do with the setup of your computer. Drivers, bios updates, defragging, cleaning the registry, etc. are all things good PC owners need to keep up on so that their games dont' get weird. I keep my PC up to date and clean as a whistle, and oddly enough, I don't encounter half of the problems I see ppl complain about on forums, not just for SH3, but plenty of other games. Bottom line is, go to any forum, for any game, and there will be ppl complaining about "major issues."

racks_please
08-05-2005, 01:04 PM
Speaking of bugs, I was at periscope depth last night, went to crew management and saw that a bridge watch was posted. Ha! Sure enough, the bridge icon was available so I clicked and joined them. 15m below the surface, cruising along with a handful of sub-surface watch standers. Sure looked funny. Anyway none of them drowned and I just clicked on periscope depth again and they went inside. Anyway, the question I'm thinking is...if most of us aren't experiencing the problems he is, then how can we help? I can make guesses and such, but the good info comes from people who have experienced the same problems and solved them. His deck gun doesn't make a sound? I don't know, mine does. Turn up the volume. I have no idea. His boat mounts a watch at periscope depth? Hit periscope depth again and they go inside. I can handle that one. Either way, don't go off with an attitude or you'll never get anywhere...here or in life.

Sgt_Starbuck
08-05-2005, 01:17 PM
Knowing your system is the key to good gameplay. This sim has been made with so much attention to detail I am continually amazed. One thing to try is going to the add/remove programs and click on change/remove and then choose repair. Reapply 1.4 patch.

Sarge

GT182
08-05-2005, 03:13 PM
Fizilbert, you'd best go back and read his post again then, because that's all it is, blaming UBI for bugs with sound that his computer is causing. There is no sound bug like that, that I and many others know of. And I imagine the other bugs are caused the same way. Besides, anyone that has had problems were asked at one time to post their DX Dialog when asking for help. I've yet to see anyone do just that. And why do you suppose they didn't? I can tell you right here and now why. Besause it would be found that it's a computer hardware or software problem and they can't stand to hear that. Go over to the Maddox Games forum for IL2 Forgotten Battles and check the Community Help forum. You'll see countless DX Dialogs posted when asking for help. And usually that's how the problems are found and solved. Those guys are smarter and listen to what's suggested to them. I hope he does return SHIII so we won't be privy to another pity party again.

I have had small problems but no bugs that won't let me "play the game". These problems are caused by me and me only. His problems ARE caused by either him OR his computer. My integrated Realtek 5.1 Surround Sound plays any sound that's in SHIII, including the deck gun firing. So I don't want to hear him cry it's UBI's fault, it's not.

I hate to say this but that Alienware pc isn't all it's cracked up to be for the amount of money he paid for it. Any one that can read knows that to be a fact. I actually saw an Alienware pc fly once... out of a window from the second floor. That's how good it was. The owner then built his own and it was a much better pc than the one mentioned. And, played any game he installed flawlessly.

fizilbert
08-05-2005, 03:38 PM
I have no doubt in my mind it is probably something to do with his computer. But that's not the point. I have read his post again, and maybe I'm just not seeing what you're seeing. He calls the game a dog a few times, but that's because he's having problems with it. Obviously he can't understand why he can run other games just fine, but SH3 is giving him problems. So whether in truth it's his game or his PC, from HIS perspective, it's the game. And he's frustrated, and I dont blame him. And he comes onto these forums looking for help, and can't find any. And then when he talks about his frustrations, he gets people all but calling him a moron because they dont have the same problems he's having, thus he must be the cause of the problems. While we may not suffer the same problems that he, or anyone else, may have, that does not mean his problems are imaginary, and that does not give us the right to condenscend him. We have to be more understanding and realize that not everyone is having a flawless run of the game.

You know, one of the major bugs I keep hearing people talking about is the CTD from pressing the shift buttons on the personell screen. You know what? I dont have that problem. Does that mean those that are having that problem are morons and it's something wrong with their PC and they should drop those alienwares they have and build their own?

Anyway, I dont particularly appreciate the way he went about expressing himself, but I can understand his frustrations, and we should be more understanding of people who ARE having problems. Always remember, truth is dependant on your perspective. From his perspective, the game is a "dog", and he's angry about it.

3.JG51_Molders
08-05-2005, 03:39 PM
I bought my game used from EB Games, saved $20. On my pc its awesome considering my pc specs. I played SH2 alot, and hated how the missions were scripted and how the enemy destroyers always found you when you were at Silent speed, ahead slow and constantly changing your course. It also seemed like you were the only one on the boat lol. SH3 IMO is awesome. Sure its got some bugs, what games doesn't have bugs in them ? I have IL2 and thats great, but its got bugs but I still love it. The graphics, interaction is awesome once you mod the game with the SH3 Mods page on silenthunteriii.com This game was worth the money. Now my only hope is that we get some online units forming in this sim that attack convoys and such. That would be the next and best step forward.

I don't see how the game would run so badly on Viciii3 pc's considering his specs :

Alienware
Intel P4 3.4
1 gb Corsair RAM
Audigy2

My only guess is a bottleneck to the CPU or video card.

MobyGrape
08-06-2005, 12:17 AM
Sh3=Fantastic..
Least amount of bugs(of any game I've purchased in the last 2 years..and release price was a bargain} and incredible graphics..FUN game..

Beeryus
08-06-2005, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by viciii3:
Not "perfect"?? I have had SH2, Sub Command, Jane's 688(I), Aces of the Deep and Tom Clancy's game. All of them, COMBINED, did not have the problems I've had with this dog...

I must say I'm getting a little tired of reading constant complaints on these forums. If you don't like the game, or if it doesn't work properly, either work to make it better (like many of us are doing) or, if you can't do that, take it back to the store you bought it from. If they won't take it back, send it back to Ubisoft. But for Heaven's sake stop whining about it!

harryrriedl
08-06-2005, 05:22 AM
most addictive sim i ever played full stop

JCC2003
08-06-2005, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by viciii3:
Not "perfect"?? I have had SH2, Sub Command, Jane's 688(I), Aces of the Deep and Tom Clancy's game. All of them, COMBINED, did not have the problems I've had with this dog.

You want to talk "
realism"...OK. I was not aware that sonarmen could be mutes. I was not aware that German U-boat deck guns came equipped with an invisible silencer, so that the gun makes absolutely no sound when firing. I was not aware that the U-boat command could change your torpedo loadout as soon as you turned your back. I was not aware that U-boats went to "all-stop" whenever you decided to change from a plotted course. That's only 5 days of bugs, with 4 days of night shifts included!

"So cynical"?? You bet your *** I am. I have NEVER spent money on a bigger dog than this is turning out to be.

I also don't see any helpful "answers" from you optimist here. I have divided all my problems into areas. I have posted my first question, in the help forum, on my biggest "bug"...sound (silent deck gun, mute sonarman) without a single helpful response as of 5 minutes ago. No one could even tell me if the lack of deck gun sound was a known bug or something only I am experiencing...that information would be helpful in troubleshooting...don't you think?!?! I also asked if the 1.4 "patch" (LOL!) was supposed to fix my mute sonarman...his jaws are flapping but no words are coming out...no response. That seemed like a simple enough question.

So...PLEASE...take off those rose colored glasses you are wearing and try and believe that many of us are having MAJOR problems with this dog. Instead of commenting on my cynisism, offer some useful info. I have searched every document, every post and read every **** "sticky" from here to Subsim.com and back.

The idea of a "community" is to help those with problems. When you ignore those with problems, because you don't have any, those who do have problems will begin to think of you as elitist *******s and get pissed off at your disdain. You have just put me there with your comment.

I have read every darn "document", forum or other source for my problems...no joy.

Instead of complaining about my "attitude" (GEE...I wonder where that came from???), perhaps some of you, quietly snickering at us poor losers who are having MAJOR problems with this dog, could step down off your throne's and offer some CONSTRUCTIVE help???

As I said, I have divided up my "issues" into categories and posted the first (sound) to the help forum. Perhaps you could take time from your busy day of looking down your nose and attempt to help me figure out if I'm dealing with known bugs or if I have a problem, on my system, which needs to be corrected.

Thank you so much for taking time from your busy day to respond to a poor slob who has to fight for every inch of SH3 to work.

Alienware
Intel P4 3.4
1 gb Corsair RAM
Audigy2

Ordinarily I wouldn't get involved with something like this on his forum, but I am hoping a little constructive feedback might be in order here.

The mute sonar man was a bug introduced by the 1.03 patch. I was fixed in 1.04, but I don't think that is what is going on here. Having paid very close attention to this sim since far before it's release and having been involved in some of the testing I can tell you that the deck gun sound problem you are having is defintly related to your hardware and/or setup. there have ben no other reports of this that I am aware of.

I have no ida of what you are talking about regarding the changing torpedo loadout.

Going to all stop is a design decision based upon some things that used to happen in older games. A lot of people would be prone to set a course, go to a high TC, and then busy themselves with other things. Under those circumstances it would be very easy to pass your last waypoint and destroy tour boat by running aground. It's not a bug, it is a design decision. You may not like it, but perhaps understanding it may help.

Now we get to the feedback part.

You have some pretty bad things to say about the people here. Well, the fact of the matter is that you have brought this response on yourself.

In your first post you begin by complaining about the crew management system. Again, a design decision, not a bug, but the nature of your complaint leads me to believe that you didn't spend very much time with the manual, or you would have see how easy it is to handle.

And speaking of the manual (which you refer to as the "most useless "manual" I've ever had to deal with") if you really had read it then your 5th post where you go on at length about not being able to read radio messages would not have been necessary. Right here at the top of page 27, in big bold letters are the words "SHORTCUT M". If you had spent a little less time complaining and a little more time reading than perhaps that 362 word attack would not have been necessary.

Now, on your third post you begin with the crew management again. When someone gives you the answer (double clicking on the compartment) you reply "I really wish the manual had more info, as is you guys are the only source for REAL info." Well, again, if you had actually taken the time to read the manual you would have seen , on page 23, "Method 1: From Crew Quarters" with the same answer." The answer was there, but you would rather complain than take the time to look for it.

From here on you simply go on the attack at every opportunity. Every problem you have listed is either unique to your rig (and having read most of your posts you do have some soundcard related problems) or is a misunderstanding on your part due to a lack of familiarity with the manual.

Now, after virtually everyone of your general questions have been answered you decide to attack the very community that has helped you when you have been too lazy to look for the answers yourself. We are not "elitist "*******s", most of us are adults with better things to do with our time than nursemaid someone who is clearly too immature or lazy to...

a) Actualy read the manual

and

b) Treat people with the respect they deserve.

JCC

Faamecanic
08-06-2005, 06:44 AM
I dont know whats wrong with Gaming Magazines anymore. THey also rated Grand Theft Auto San Andreas 99-100 in most mags. And NO mention of bugs. Butyet in all the GTA SA froums there are MASSIVE problems with this game.

I will say it again... if game devs/publishers keep pushing out **** games (or buggy games that will never be fixed), and they get that reputation of doing so...it does nothing but encourage piracy. Why should I pay for a game that is unfinished, or in the case of GTA SA UNPLAYABLE on my machine.

I cant return the game because no matter how much I fight with the store manager "they dont take returns on software only exchanges for same title".

So basically Im stuck with a game that will NOT work on my PC GTA SA.

SHIII's bugs arent show stoppers, but arent minor either. Overall it is a great game that has entertained me for many hours. But that doesnt mean Im happy in living with the bugs that would have taken 1 hour for the devs to fix.

I think that is what pisses me off the most. I can understand the devs not being funded by UBI to fix anything that would require intensive programming/engine re-work. But for cripes sake... there are SEVERAL bugs that would take the Devs less than a day to fix.

Faamecanic
08-06-2005, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by MobyGrape:
Sh3=Fantastic..
Least amount of bugs(of any game I've purchased in the last 2 years..and release price was a bargain} and incredible graphics..FUN game..

Must not have played Doom3 or HL2.... both of those were near FLAWLESS. I played thorugh both of the Single player games on those and had NO ISSUES whatsoever.