PDA

View Full Version : The worst time to get the Red Ring

SergeantCarnage
02-19-2008, 07:57 AM
http://kotaku.com/357951/microsoft-lights-up-gdc-with-red-ring-of-death

Now I love my 360, and I got it about 4 months after launch. I havent had one problem with it. And its the only system I own. But now I'm scared. When you are at the GDC and one of your display model RROD's in a glass case for everyone to see, you really have a problem. WTF Bill?!?

dropK1CK_ninJA
02-19-2008, 09:52 AM
I doubt Microsoft would let faulty hardware into GDC and I doubly doubt that it would RRoD on the first day of GDC.

Also, the video screen wasn't on for that Xbox, isn't that more of a sign the video isn't connected? I know I've had that happen to me.

I'm more leaning to video not connected. I really doubt Microsoft would let that console sit there if it were hardware.

Ninja Kn1ght
02-19-2008, 09:56 AM
They're just representing the hardware as it is for millions of users. Good work microsoft.

Eliptyk73
02-19-2008, 09:56 AM
Is the official hardware-failure-red-ring-of-death 3 or 4 lights? Because on the video it's only 3 which might not be the hardware failure kind of RROD...

Ninja Kn1ght
02-19-2008, 09:57 AM
3 red lights means your 360 achieved its purpose.

All 360s die but but few truly live.

Eliptyk73
02-19-2008, 10:05 AM
Ah.

Well then. Embarrassment FTW.

SergeantCarnage
02-19-2008, 11:25 AM
3 lights is death, 4 is the video cable connection. I doubt the would let in there too on purpose, but what are you going to do when it goes belly up right there in the case while its on display?

OtnemeM_IroM
02-19-2008, 11:34 AM
You know how badly demo boxes get treated? They are on for days at a time, locked up in a box so nobody steals them, shipped across the country hundreds of times... no one gives them personal TLC because no one personally owns them.

If you maintain your hardware, it works fine. I am still running 2 (count 'em TWO) LAUNCH Xbox 360s without a single RRoD. They are well ventilated, handled properly and have given us few troubles.

And children should probably avert their eyes. NK's hard-on for Sony is protruding a little...

Eliptyk73
02-19-2008, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by OtnemeM_IroM:
And children should probably avert their eyes. NK's hard-on for Sony is protruding a little...
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

SergeantCarnage
02-19-2008, 11:55 AM
You know how badly demo boxes get treated? They are on for days at a time, locked up in a box so nobody steals them, shipped across the country hundreds of times... no one gives them personal TLC because no one personally owns them.

Everyone, remember your XBOX and give it some TLC today. http://media.ubi.com/us/forum_images/gf-glomp.gif Dont put it in a glass case pressure cooker like Microsoft did. Its like cracking the window on your car when your dog is inside.

Ninja Kn1ght
02-19-2008, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Eliptyk73:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by OtnemeM_IroM:
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is impressive.

Diablo730
02-19-2008, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Ninja_Kn1ght:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eliptyk73:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by OtnemeM_IroM:
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is impressive. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea man, about as impressive as the PS3's position in the console wars. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif
On a side note, it is rather embarrassing to have this occur during an event but in Microsoft's defense (In a completely non fanboyish way), I have seen first hand what the display units (For all types of electronics) go through and it's pretty brutal.

Ninja Kn1ght
02-19-2008, 01:34 PM
Rapidly growing and staying firm for the long haul while 360s sales are limp and disappointing? Hey, it's your analogy.

Diablo730
02-19-2008, 01:41 PM
Ok, if that's how you want to look at it how about this. It's about as impressive as the PS3's game library in comparison to just about any other console after the same timespan from initial release. Oh and despite what you may believe, slow and steady isn't going to win the war as Nintendo is moving a significantly larger amount of units very steadily and has been that way since it's launch.

Ninja Kn1ght
02-19-2008, 01:53 PM
Nintendo might come out on top, it certainly will if it continues like this, but I think PS3 will ultimately outsell 360.

Most consoles software lineup is pretty unimpressive after lass than 18 months. PS3 is doing pretty well there and it's improved a lot lately.

OtnemeM_IroM
02-19-2008, 03:48 PM
Nintendo might come out on top, it certainly will if it continues like this, but I think PS3 will ultimately outsell 360. Not if the 360 comes out with a Blu-ray player soon, especially if it's cheaper than the PS3. That would make my day.

Ninja Kn1ght
02-19-2008, 04:33 PM
Not if the 360 comes out with a Blu-ray player soon, especially if it's cheaper than the PS3. That would make my day.

That wouldn't change anything.

dropK1CK_ninJA
02-19-2008, 04:44 PM
That's a bit of a niave thing to say...

That it won't change a thing.

PS3 has been selling because it was a BluRay player. That has been obivious. Look at the software sales. Those speak for themselves.

OtnemeM_IroM
02-19-2008, 04:45 PM
Not if the 360 comes out with a Blu-ray player soon, especially if it's cheaper than the PS3. That would make my day.

That wouldn't change anything. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>'Splain me, because I fail to see the logic here. Probably because there is none.

And watch where you point that thing. It's starting to take on a mind of its own...

Mutton-Chops
02-19-2008, 05:08 PM
Enough with the baiting and counterbaiting. You've all proven that you are master baiters. congratulations. Have done.

Allanon
02-19-2008, 05:14 PM
I dunno it could happen... Bill Gates booted up a demo copy of Windows 98 that BSoD'ed in front of everyone... or maybe it was 2000....

stonelance
02-19-2008, 05:20 PM
The 3 red ring can also happen if the power cycled or a problem with the video cables. I have had it happen to mine after a power outage, and I just reseated the cables and unplugged the power brick and then back in and everything works fine. My xbox is still going strong, and I have had it since about 2-3 weeks after launch.

The 3 red lights means a general failure, I think. There is a way to get it to flash the more specific error code, but I do not remember what it is.

DocHolidazed
02-19-2008, 05:23 PM
AOoohh Ninja. Definately the fanboy. Spouting hopes and dreams as promises are broken, and fantasies rained on. Keep dreaming, if it keeps you happy. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Thursday, February 14, 2008 6:00 PM by Gamerscore News
January NPD Update
Today we have an update from NPD on console, accessory and software sales for January 2008 and it demonstrates that whether you are a consumer, retailer, or a publisher there is no better platform for games than Xbox 360.

Xbox 360 experienced a record-setting holiday that has not slowed down in 2008. NPD today reported that in January, Microsoft sold 230,000 Xbox 360 consoles. Our retailers are telling us that Xbox 360 is selling as fast as they can restock, but due to this high demand, Xbox 360 is experiencing temporary shortages. We are working as quickly as we can to replenish inventory.

Xbox 360 Owners Spend More on Games; Drives Industry Ecosystem

In January, $297 million was spent on the Xbox 360 platform (hardware, software and accessories combined), compared to $244 million on Wii and $219 million on PS3. (U.S. NPD, January)
$159 million was spent on Xbox 360 games alone in January compared to $131 million on Wii and $80 million for PS3. (U.S. NPD, January)
Total customer spending on Xbox 360 life-to-date now reaches nearly $8.6 billion; this is more than double PS3 and Wii combined. (U.S. NPD, January)
Six of the top 10 best selling games in January are on Xbox 360's platform. (U.S. NPD, January)
After five months on the market, "Halo 3" continues to make the top 10 best selling games list according to NPD with 127,000 additional units sold in January. (U.S. NPD, January)
Games Play Better, Sell Better on Xbox 360

"Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare" on Xbox 360 was the number one selling game across all platforms for the third month in a row. In January, the fourth edition of Activision's acclaimed war game sold more than 331,000 copies on Xbox 360 and outsold the PS3 version by more than 2:1. (U.S. NPD, January)
Music fans love to jam on "Rock Band" and "Guitar Hero III" on Xbox 360! The Xbox 360 version of "Rock Band" sold more than 172,000 units in January and ranked fifth on the top 10 best selling games according to NPD. "Rock Band" on PS3 failed make it into the top 25 list for January. (U.S. NPD, January)
Third party publishers made 61 percent of their retail revenue, this generation, on Xbox 360 compared to 20 percent on Wii and 18 percent on PS3. (U.S. NPD, January)
Xbox 360 has 83 titles with a Metacritic review score of 80 or higher compared to just 42 for PS3 and 14 for Wii.
Looking forward, Xbox 360 will continue to be the destination for the best games with powerhouse franchises such as "BioShock," "Call of Duty," "Guitar Hero," "Halo," "Madden," "Mass Effect," and coming in April, "Grand Theft Auto IV." Whether you are an experienced gamer or a family looking for a night of fun, Xbox 360 is today's preferred gaming experience, where everyone is invited to play.

Diablo730
02-19-2008, 07:47 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif Wow Doc, I would like to thank you for informing the more ignorant on the sales status of the current consoles. Not just adding to the conversation with opinion but with data and statistics instead, which really leaves no room for arguement thereafter.

Ninja Kn1ght
02-20-2008, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by DocHolidazed:
AOoohh Ninja. Definately the fanboy. Spouting hopes and dreams as promises are broken, and fantasies rained on. Keep dreaming, if it keeps you happy. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Thursday, February 14, 2008 6:00 PM by Gamerscore News
January NPD Update
Today we have an update from NPD on console, accessory and software sales for January 2008 and it demonstrates that whether you are a consumer, retailer, or a publisher there is no better platform for games than Xbox 360.

Wow gamerscore news are really on the ball here. 360 must be doing fantastically..230,000 consoles sold, wow. How many did ps3 sell? hmmm? do you want to answer that one? I can, if you don't want to.

DocHolidazed
02-20-2008, 07:04 AM
360>>ps3

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

Ninja Kn1ght
02-20-2008, 07:15 AM
Those aren't figures. C'mon, you didnt just trust the pr from MS right? PS3: 269,000 units sold
360:230,000 units sold

i guess that means ps3 outsold 360....

XBLirael
02-20-2008, 12:38 PM
People are so silly. Not to break down Ninja's dreams here, but I've seen PS3 failures much more often than 360 failures at events like GDC. Ben's right... who knows what these people are putting their hardware through?

And Ninja... yes! The PS3 is doing very well in worldwide sales (now that the library is expanding). But you're ridiculous if you think it's "beating" the 360.

<RANT>
I can't see into the future (wouldn't that be nifty?), but I can say that I will be very upset if Sony "wins" b/c of brand loyalty. If you're a true Sony fan, then you should be hoping for them to take their popularity seriously and deliver a better gaming experience for their fans. Selling consoles is not a mandate from the people to continue to put out bullsh*t UIs, obstruct the formation of a gaming community, and offer half-a**ed online play.

I am cheering for Sony to make good on what they have to offer us as gamers. I loved my PS and PS2. I love some of the games I've played on PS3. But Sony has a long way to go before they make a gaming experience that comes close to what Microsoft gives us as gamers. Until Sony delivers on that front, the PS3 will always be the second (or third) console I want to turn on when I get home from work.

This is way more important than sexy hardware, sales numbers, or Blue Ray.
</RANT>

SergeantCarnage
02-20-2008, 01:04 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

I only have a 360 now. My roomate has a 360 and a Wii (that collects dusts other than for wii bowling). I've played ps3 and had multiple ps2's, xbox's and gamecubes. I dont care who makes the system, it could be the Betty Crocker game station for all I care. Just like xblirel said, who is giving me the best experience now? Other than two exclusive games on ps3, nothing makes me want to have it. I still hate the controller like I did 10 years ago, its not the cheapest Blu-ray player on the market, and its almost assured that xbox will have a Blu-ray add-on if not a built in one. The fact that Blu-ray has apparently won the format war means that my biggest reason for buying a PS3 is gone. And I dont need to spend 400 to play Metal Gear that bad. But those are my reasons alone, to each his own in the console war.

Btw...monthly sales numbers are nice to argue about on a monthly basis...but its really about total systems sold, and the attachment rate(which only counts games, not accessories). Wii may lead on total systems, but 360 is killing it on attachment rate. Thats where they make their profit, and when they make more, they can deliver us more and more. I'll repost when I can get the numbers for attachment rates.

Ninja Kn1ght
02-20-2008, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by XBLirael:

And Ninja... yes! The PS3 is doing very well in worldwide sales (now that the library is expanding). But you're ridiculous if you think it's "beating" the 360.

<RANT>
I can't see into the future (wouldn't that be nifty?), but I can say that I will be very upset if Sony "wins" b/c of brand loyalty. If you're a true Sony fan, then you should be hoping for them to take their popularity seriously and deliver a better gaming experience for their fans. Selling consoles is not a mandate from the people to continue to put out bullsh*t UIs, obstruct the formation of a gaming community, and offer half-a**ed online play.

I don't think PS3 is beating 360, obviously it isn't. I think it will beat 360.

bullsh*t UIs? I prefer the XMB to 360s gaudy ad-covered mess.

obstruct the formation of a gaming community? It's free...Fees obstruct the formation of a community. When more ps3s are in users hands it'll be a hell of a lot easier to form a community, especially with home as well.

SergeantCarnage
02-20-2008, 01:27 PM

obstruct the formation of a gaming community? It's free...Fees obstruct the formation of a community. When more ps3s are in users hands it'll be a hell of a lot easier to form a community, especially with home as well.

Gosh those pesky adds...they are so distracting always jumping out and knocking the controller out of my hand and keeping me from doing what I came there to do. I wish they would stop, At first I thought they just sat there innocently doing nothing and I could pass on by and ignore them if I wanted to. But nope, they are vindictive I tell you. Fear the gaudy ad.

Ninja Kn1ght
02-20-2008, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by SergeantCarnage:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ninja_Kn1ght:

Gosh those pesky adds...they are so distracting always jumping out and knocking the controller out of my hand and keeping me from doing what I came there to do. I wish they would stop, At first I thought they just sat there innocently doing nothing and I could pass on by and ignore them if I wanted to. But nope, they are vindictive I tell you. Fear the gaudy ad. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm just comparing the UIs and those ads waste a lot of space.

SergeantCarnage
02-20-2008, 01:49 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k124/psmcdonnell/xkcdwrongoninternet.jpg

OtnemeM_IroM
02-20-2008, 02:25 PM
Hey... the artist forgot to draw in my beard in his above cartoon! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

krubble
02-20-2008, 04:42 PM
This happened to me a few months ago. But luckily my Xbox was from Costco, so even after owning it for 8 months I was able to return it for a full refund. I went right back and bought the Xbox Elite! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

However, I was not able to save any of my games, so I pretty much had to start from scratch.