PDA

View Full Version : minimum requirements

ViciousGuy
01-27-2007, 12:01 PM
I heard UBI had lied when they wrote down the minimum requirements (I thought to have read it somewhere in this forum). Is that true?

ViciousGuy
01-27-2007, 12:01 PM
I heard UBI had lied when they wrote down the minimum requirements (I thought to have read it somewhere in this forum). Is that true?

njnyposp
01-27-2007, 01:17 PM
There was a server crash and a lot of messages were lost. Be it accidental or deliberate, it is what it is and you believe what you want. Basically, the answer to your question is yes. MANY people, including me, could not play the game on the minimum requirements in fact, many could not even play it on a high end machine. Yet in all fairness, there are a number of people who reported they had no problems from the get. It seems that it will take quite a large amount of tweeking your machine plus 2 patches released from Arkane with maybe a third patch on the way. We don't really know because the UBI/ARKANE team sees fit NOT to keep the community informed in a timely manner. As a result we tried to help each other by becoming unpaid beta testers. You shouldn't have to pay for a product out of the box that doesn't work unless you bend your whole system around it to make it work. The game itself really is a great game IF you can get it to work. This is because I believe it was poorly developed and tested and rushed out the door to avoid more development costs with a mentality, shared by many producers, of get it out now so we can get our money and worry about fixing it later, MAYBE. Well, they will never get another nickle of my money and my opinion of the way the Liars/Thieves team conduct business is very low. Buy the game if you want, maybe it will work for you and maybe it won't. It's your 50 bucks. And you can forget about a refund. IF you even ask about it they will threaten to ban you. So your basically on your own except for a good number of the gaming community who will attempt to assist you if you come to the forum and ask for help. It too bad the Ubi/Arkane team isn't as helpful.

Angrandir
01-27-2007, 02:27 PM
On the other hand there are people who are able to run the game (lots of them I guess) on machines with minimum specs without tweaking and major problems. I finished the game on P4 2.40A, 768 MB RAM, Radeon 9800 Pro (128 MB), with slightly lowered recommended video settings, and I was so absorbed in gameplay that I was almost unaware about minor glitches.

But there are definitely people with really high-end rigs (even above recommended) with lots of problems, naturally they seek to get a solution so they are more active on forums, but in fact they will be in a minority.

In any case, if you do not want to take any risks, rent the game before you buy.

ViciousGuy
01-27-2007, 02:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">In any case, if you do not want to take any risks, rent the game before you buy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
There might be one problem with that...
I bought the game before I even registered in this forum. And it run (at least 'till v1.01) without any problem (on very low quality only and with usage of the tweak site) but the crashes when saving the game. Now in v1.02 there always is a white line which takes course diagonally across the display (until patch 1.01 I only encountered that when a movie was supposed to play).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And you can forget about a refund. IF you even ask about it they will threaten to ban you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I knew. However, this might have been a step they had to take if this forum was supposed to be a forum to help players and not a list of angry players asking for refunds.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Buy the game if you want, maybe it will work for you and maybe it won't. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I already bought it before registering here. (see comment above the one above this)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">So your basically on your own except for a good number of the gaming community who will attempt to assist you if you come to the forum and ask for help. It too bad the Ubi/Arkane team isn't as helpful. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Sadly that is true.
But even sader is that ubi doesn't seem to care. Yet Arkane seems to work on the game (heard a new patch is supposed to come out soon whereas "soon" is a term that can be used for two hours as well as for two centuries)

Thank you for your answers. I was just asking this because someone was asking why there is such a lag with a comp that meets the minimum requirements and I didn't want to tell things that aren't true.
Ys, VG.

njnyposp
01-27-2007, 03:38 PM
Your fortunate, Angrandir, It's really strange how this game reacts to such a wide variety of computers. Works on lesser systems, doesn't work on higer end systems and vice versa. The solutions are also wide in variety. Some fixes work perfectly for some systems and others can't seeem to get it to work no matter what. It certainly does tend to make one angry especially when the UBI/Arkane peeps remain silent for so long. If I had a fix all answer I would sell it to U/A and make a fortune. LOL Rent the game in advance.....hmmmm.... I don't think STEAM does that nor can you do it for a PC. But for xbox and the like I guess that's the best way. Although it will probably work out of the box on those types of systems. PC's is whole nuther animal. On my system I have 3 removable drives. 1 I use for my stuff, 1 for backups and 1 strictly for gaming and of all the games I've played and continue to play this one gave me the most trouble.

tekker78
01-29-2007, 02:55 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by njnyposp:: 'patches released from Arkane with maybe a third patch on the way. We don't really know because the UBI/ARKANE team sees fit NOT to keep the community informed in a timely manner. i agree with this it isnt right i watched an interview with a lot of the tech guys saying just this that they would have the community informed was that a lie ? maybe we should ask them again!