PDA

View Full Version : New video card

apexskier
07-14-2005, 07:15 PM
Ok, before I install my new card, I want to make sure it will work. It is an ATI XTACY X300SE. Does any one out there have this card and how does it do? I know its a low end card, but I am not too huge on gaming, just playing MYST. Thanks for all your support and input

apexskier
07-14-2005, 07:15 PM
Ok, before I install my new card, I want to make sure it will work. It is an ATI XTACY X300SE. Does any one out there have this card and how does it do? I know its a low end card, but I am not too huge on gaming, just playing MYST. Thanks for all your support and input

apexskier
07-14-2005, 07:17 PM
oh yeah it also has 256MB hyper memory

Jnathus
07-18-2005, 05:11 AM
I looked up that "Hyper Memory" thing, and it is a fancy term for shared memory, which means the video card will have 128 MB of RAM built in RAM and use up to 128 MB of your system's memory for video data (never my favorite means to complete video chores). At least the PowerColor unit I looked up was like that. It's also a PCI-Express part... PCI-Express is a fairly new standard. Are you sure you have a PCI-Express motherboard?

I personally have a PCI-Express GeForce 6800 GT and with the resolution set to 1152x864 with Anistropic Filtering and Antialiasing, I am getting framerates as low as the 40s at times in URU (also framerates as high as my vsync'ed 75), and my system benchmarks at about 20,000 3DMarks in 3DMark2001 SE. Assuming the Benchmark is THE benchmark, the review I read on the PowerColor unit shows that it gets about 9,500 3DMarks, so you're going to get a little less than half that performance at comparable settings. Keep Anistropic Filtering and Antialiasing off, and you should be able to run fine.

Good luck.

apexskier
07-22-2005, 01:12 PM
Thanks for your input. I installed the card today and it runs awesome. No problems so far, I did turn off the Anistropic Filtering and Antialiasing. So if anyone out there that is not big in gaming and just wants to play Uru, then the X300 for $120 isn't that bad. I do have an AGP 9200 if any one is looking.