PDA

View Full Version : Where is the Ghost Recon Multiplayer I once knew and loved?

Ethan_87
06-23-2006, 12:03 PM
The original Ghost Recon had awesome multiplayer, mass amounts of weapons to choose from, which you started with straight away instead of earning points to unlock, multiple game types for multiplayer, Domintation is a little bit like Hamburger Hill with the exception there are many more zones and they are all connected together. But where are the classics, Last Man Standing, Team Last Man Standing, Team Deathmatch, Single Death, there were so many and the variation made the multiplayer game amazing.

The original Ghost Recon came out in 2001...i think so us PC gamers have been waiting a long, long time for a sequal as Ghost Recon 2 wasn't released on the PC and quite frankly playing a game of this genre on a console would completly ruin it for me.

The graphics on GRAW are stunning, im running a:
AMD Athlon 64 FX55
2GB Corsair Dual Channel
2 X 256MB GeForce 6800GT Running In Duel SLi
ASUS AN832-SLi Deluxe
Hyper Type R 580W
300GB Maxtor SATA

I have all settings maxed out apart from the main textures one which will only allow me to set it to medium, but still i find the graphics mind blowing. It's just ashame that such a beautiful looking game which i only really bought for multiplay lacks in the weapons and game types departments.

It also really sucks you need to gain points to choose weapons, in the original ghost recon you could select your genre and then weapon and become a master with that kit. This type of multiplayer reminds me alot like counter-strike, at least on battlefield you can select your kit before you begin and dont need points, yes the weapons are fairly limited with not many available to different kits until you climb the ranks and unlock the alternative weapons for each kit. But just seems ashame as it was so good having multiple weapons for each kit to choose from and master in the original i was hoping GRAW would be like this, however i still think it is a good game, with mind blowing graphics and great realism. Just would be nice to have a choice in multiplayer, whether its, guns, or gametypes.

What are other peoples views on this

Luderbamsen
06-23-2006, 12:22 PM
My view on it

The long version:
my review (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2791043913/m/8371051554)

The (slightly) shorter version:

I'm convinced it all dates back to the decisions made when Ubi contemplated a sequel to GR1 (see review).

From what Ubi is telling us, they ARE working on implementing a lot of the GR1 features.

When and if this is done, I think GRAW, especially MP, can become quite good. SP and COOP depends more on improvements to the AI and maps and the improvemnts are rather more uncertain for this reason.

However, I do see a few warning signs. For instance, the recent patch has limited the number of grenades (to prevent spawning). This is an acceptable quick fix solution, but the permanent solution should be to allow the server host to select the number of grenades availible.

The key to good MP is IMHO server options, server options and more server options. The more the host can tweak the merrier.

This notion of earning points to access unlocks e.c.t. is IMO a load of %@&. Keeping it in the game is not a problem, but the old GR1 way of doing things MUST be included.

IZT
06-23-2006, 01:06 PM
yeah i miss GR1 man MISS IT LIKE MAD. Hate the weapon requirements thats bull ****. Modes are lame.

But i do enjoy proning and laying down suppressive fire with that LMG for no rhyme or reason, and of course in the course of that mowing down some baddies for me.

SST_Slayer
06-23-2006, 01:08 PM
it's dead, GRAW ****ing wrecked it

Ethan_87
06-23-2006, 02:19 PM
GR1 made tatical shooting games for me I loved it to bits, but playing it now the graphics everything is so out dated its become hard to play, that and not as many people play it anymore.

Another thing that made GR1 is the support available for modders the option to activate and de-activate mods so simply it made it great for multiplayer that option isn't on this one, however I have seen on www.ghostrecon.net (http://www.ghostrecon.net) that someone has designed something like this, but just the fact that the designers of the game were making it clear that they supported mods was great.

Also on GR.net somebody has designed a mod so you can play Team deathmatch and Seige 2 classic game modes havent tried the mod yet, but the thing i dont understand is if a modder can create these game types surely the game developer could do it easily and quicker as they work in teams and could have released a patch by now improving the multiplayer?

shockwave972
06-23-2006, 05:03 PM
I dont blame GRIN> UBI didnt give them enough time to complete game.From what i played so far GRIN would of made a great game even though its not like GR1 wich fine but for UBI to step backwards and not add deathcam and deicated servers files even in this new patch or any options like GR1 or like any game for that fact.

Luderbamsen
06-23-2006, 05:10 PM
Patience, Slayer. With a bit of luck (and all the crossed fingers and toes I can manage), the upcoming updates will pull GRAW back from the edge of the cliff. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Ethan: I suspect GRIN is first and foremost busy with implementing "quick fixes" (MP and COOP need some work to be really playable). Also, whereas modders work for free, GRIN employees have to be paid so there is a natural limit to how many people can work on this at any time. GRAW may not be all that great now, but I truly believe that given some time, MP in particular will get much better. My bet is that GRIN is planning to implement most if not all of the old GR1 MP features. So if you can wait a bit, I think you'll get most of the features you liked in GR1.

Also, previous statements from GRIN seem to indicate that they understand the importance of modding (a rare thing these days), and provide modders with the tools they need.

To be honest, I'm not fully convinced that GRIN get it 100% and there is eventually a limit to how many ressources they can allocate to patching, so I fear it will never become "the perfect game". However, they do seem to be far more in tune with gamers than most developers *cough*Lockdown*cough* and I'm convinced we'll see a number of substantial improvements over the year.

Agent Smith
06-23-2006, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by SST_Slayer:

Deader than Zarkowi, and it didn't take two bombs either - just one nintendo studio called Grin.

Luderbamsen
06-23-2006, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Agent Smith:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SST_Slayer:

Deader than Zarkowi, and it didn't take two bombs either - just one nintendo studio called Grin. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really don't understand all this GRIN-bashing. Okay so they didn't create the greatest tactical shooter of all times. But we really don't know what Ubi gave them to work with from the start (budget, time, gameplay restrictions e.c.t.). To be honest, I think the alternative would have been a direct port of GR2 *shudders*

Don't get me wrong. I fully understand the frustration of the PC community, waiting five years for a game that seem to have ignored all the lessons learned and things that went right with GR1.

So far, GRIN has shown a willingness to work with the community and implement some of the old GR1 features that we've all been screaming for.

It is my belief that if we try to cooperate with GRIN, giving them contructive criticism and feedback (as opposed to name-calling) there's still a chance that something good will come out of GRAW.

Agent Smith
06-23-2006, 05:38 PM
Please, Grin knew damn well this game was not even close to being compelte and that the MP was absolute **** - if they didn't than instead of being just untalented they would be absolute morons. Maybe that is the case but the people PAID to write the code are the ones who deserve teh blame for how that code runs, and GRAW is not just a bad MP it is easily one of the worst MPs ever, especially considering GR is a pretty big MP franchise.

Not saying Ubi is blameless, fine - they suck too. But when I start GRAW I am starting something Grin made and how any studio could put thier name on this total piece of trash and not expect to get laughed out of gaming forever is beyond me.

Originally posted by Luderbamsen:
It is my belief that if we try to cooperate with GRIN, giving them contructive criticism and feedback (as opposed to name-calling) there's still a chance that something good will come out of GRAW.

Ok, let me be constructive. Grin, give your source code to a studio capable of developing a GRAW MP more than 40 or 50 people worldwide will want to play (no kidding, as of ten minutes ago I counted that many in server browser).

BULLDOZER1-8th
06-23-2006, 06:47 PM
I loved gr1, it was a fun game to play with crappy graphics, so i bought this game thinking it would be improved, graphics have but gameplay is so much tuffer, i cant hit **** with these guns, they shake wayyy toooo much, i know i just need to put more time in playing, butt it sure makes it frustraiting

Luderbamsen
06-24-2006, 05:01 AM
Smith:
Well, that's hardly realistic is it? Now, I understand you're frustrated. I am too. I wouldn't be surprised if sales of keyboards jumped dramatically after the release of GRAW PC, what with so many of us banging our heads on them.

Essentially, we the community have a choice between keep telling Ubi/GRIN what a piece of **** they've made, or urge them to improve it with suggestions and contructive feedback. Otherwise, I'd have to go back to playing BF2 and I'm NOT doing that!

Bulldozer:
Are you playing the same game as the rest of us? You're firing on full auto, right? Try switching to semiauto. Usually, a good double tap will bring down your opponent. Personally, I'd like to se more weapon sway/wiggling and more inherent accuracy in the weapon itself.

AJRobson
06-24-2006, 05:17 AM
Not that my opinion matters...

First... I am happy that we got the patch. But sadly, it seems that everyone was hoping for way too much from this patch. 1.16 is not a panacea. It's just another small step in the right direction.

I think that the main problem is that GRAW is nothing but a console game (which generally lack all the options that we PC gamers are accustomed to) that was ported over to the PC. Yeah sure... it was made for PC. Ha!

This game is sad and is NOT EVEN CLOSE to the orignal in quality.

Who cares if the graphics look better?? Or if the game physics are better. Most gamers are not paying attention to that. They are looking for bad guys, good guys, etc...

At a minimum, I would love to see a "firefight" mode like in the old game added back to the MP. OR add the capability to have some respawns optional in the COOP missions.

GR1 was, and is, far more conducive to clan play. More game style options, etc.

And another thing... buying a rifle is horse manure. At least start with a basic rifle instead of a pistol... unless the server options are set for that.

blueberry606
06-24-2006, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by AJRobson:
Not that my opinion matters...

First... I am happy that we got the patch. But sadly, it seems that everyone was hoping for way too much from this patch. 1.16 is not a panacea. It's just another small step in the right direction.

YES small step,July map pack 2 should be better

I think that the main problem is that GRAW is nothing but a console game (which generally lack all the options that we PC gamers are accustomed to) that was ported over to the PC. Yeah sure... it was made for PC. Ha!

Boy are you not up on latest and greatest.this will out shine any consol game.

This game is sad and is NOT EVEN CLOSE to the orignal in quality.

Not ment to be the origanal.We are stuck with it.It will be Great.Good feed back will help.Youll see.

Who cares if the graphics look better?? Or if the game physics are better. Most gamers are not paying attention to that. They are looking for bad guys, good guys, etc...

OK.Its future proof,Needs tweeking(everywhere)

At a minimum, I would love to see a "firefight" mode like in the old game added back to the MP. OR add the capability to have some respawns optional in the COOP missions.

Its coming in Map pack 2,Alot of the game types will be in it.Respawns?Maybe some game saves.

GR1 was, and is, far more conducive to clan play. More game style options, etc.

July Map pack.

And another thing... buying a rifle is horse manure. At least start with a basic rifle instead of a pistol... unless the server options are set for that.

There you are truely correct.Buying a gun is gay as he-ll.Thats what pis-ses me off about counter strike.If I had the weapon of my choice I could rule.But you have to remember its part of the game type.BF2 Cloning.Bad move,But.Like I said,They have one more map pack to make people happy,and they have till august to get us stand alone server software.So,I think we will give them the DOUBT,Baby.

Luderbamsen
06-24-2006, 06:08 AM
I'll second that.

All this arcade BS with "unlocks" and such has no place in a game like GRAW. Bad, bad idea.

And as Blueberry says, if the next update delivers then we're getting somewhere.

I'm meeting some friends tonight and I know for certain that they'll ask me about GRAW and if they should buy it or not.

I'll have to tell them to wait a bit. If the next updates delivers (not miracles, just what has been promised), I'll tell them to bring their wallets.

Agent Smith
06-24-2006, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Luderbamsen:
Smith:
Well, that's hardly realistic is it? Now, I understand you're frustrated. I am too. I wouldn't be surprised if sales of keyboards jumped dramatically after the release of GRAW PC, what with so many of us banging our heads on them.

Essentially, we the community have a choice between keep telling Ubi/GRIN what a piece of **** they've made, or urge them to improve it with suggestions and contructive feedback. Otherwise, I'd have to go back to playing BF2 and I'm NOT doing that!

Realistic or not it is the only way GRAW will EVER have more than a few dozen people playing it online. Fact of the matter is that no game I have ever heard of has tanked within the first few months like GRAW has and EVER grown bigger. Gamers see it is ****, understand that means it will liekly allways be **** (as a game shipped as **** is shipped that way for a reason), and they move on. GRAWs time has passed, nothing will change that with this last patch being such a ridiculously useless addition.

So - forget for a moment the pipe dream of Grin suddenly getting it and changing this miserably inadequate MP game completely around (yeah, like that is possible) even if they did the people have moved on and will not be coming back.

GRAW = dead.

Luderbamsen
06-25-2006, 05:06 AM
Okay Smith. So you think GRAW is beyond salvation. That's an entirely legitimate opinion and you may very well be proven right.

I somehow doubt GRAW will ever become the really good game that it should have been from the start. But I do think it has some potential, if proplery patched/updated.

Unless Ubi/GRIN is flat-out lying to us, they're currently working on quick fix patches that will rectify the worst banging-head-on-keyboard screwups. However, they're still a long way from making it a really good (or even moderately good) game.

And I'm at least going to try to provide some constructive feedback to rectify the situation.

Bota99
06-25-2006, 06:00 AM
I think we should at least wait to see what new maps come and give it a chance until TDM arrives. If it still has major issues then...

Emenance
06-25-2006, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Ethan_87:
GR1 made tatical shooting games for me I loved it to bits, but playing it now the graphics everything is so out dated its become hard to play, that and not as many people play it anymore.

Another thing that made GR1 is the support available for modders the option to activate and de-activate mods so simply it made it great for multiplayer that option isn't on this one, however I have seen on www.ghostrecon.net (http://www.ghostrecon.net) that someone has designed something like this, but just the fact that the designers of the game were making it clear that they supported mods was great.

Also on GR.net somebody has designed a mod so you can play Team deathmatch and Seige 2 classic game modes havent tried the mod yet, but the thing i dont understand is if a modder can create these game types surely the game developer could do it easily and quicker as they work in teams and could have released a patch by now improving the multiplayer?

A MAJOR COMPLAINT OF MINE TOO NO MOD SUPPORT. WTF ??????? GR1 HAD THAT IN DAY 1 WHERE THE HELL IS OUR MOD BUTTONS , WE JUST WANT WHAT WE HAD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agent Smith
06-25-2006, 11:01 AM
I just don't see how the game goes from 50 or so players worldwide to anywhere good.

Luderbamsen
06-25-2006, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Agent Smith:
I just don't see how the game goes from 50 or so players worldwide to anywhere good.

I'm mainly concerned with SP and COOP. Apart from the few people I play COOP with, I really don't care if anyone else like GRAW or play it at all.

It's an entirely different story with MP of course. As to how may who have the game will keep playing it, or how many will buy it, I have no idea.

On the other hand, while SP/COOP relies heavily on Ubi/GRIN getting the AI and other things to work well, MP players "only" require the original GR1 featuers to be added.