PDA

View Full Version : What happens with my older system hardware?

JN_2004
11-30-2005, 10:26 AM
Thanks, I have a Pentium III at 450 Mhz, 256 RAM, NVidia RIVA TNT 16MB video card. This has worked extremely well with Riven, Myst EXILE, Syberia I & II. What will happen if I try to run Uru on it? Thanks.

ivanxuereb
11-30-2005, 12:44 PM
Probably a crash or a blank screen. I could barly play Uru on a 600mHz PC and a 32MB video card.

PS: Try checking the minimum requirements.

Heimdall_G
11-30-2005, 01:12 PM
JN_2004,

The primary problem is that Uru does NOT support your Riva TNT video chipset, so you'd definitely have crashes and/or blank screens. See Uru: System Requirements and Posting Guidelines (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/524109302/m/937105842) for details.

And even if you did have a supported video chipset, the combination of only 256 MB of system RAM and less-than-minimum-required CPU speed would make the game effectively unplayable.

JN_2004
11-30-2005, 08:57 PM
Thank you hugely to ivanxuereb and Heimdall G. I thought I saw somewhere that the Uru through Myst V games could still be played in Win 98SE, but I now see that my problem is mainly a hardware issue.

Until I get an upgrade, my Myst obsession will have to be satisfied by scoring a cheap copy of realMyst.

Heimdall_G
12-01-2005, 08:29 AM
Just to confirm, all of the Myst series (Myst, Riven, Exile, Myst IV/V) and Uru can indeed be played in Win98SE.

JN_2004
12-01-2005, 09:26 AM
Hi everyone. I wonder if I can do a major upgrade on my Dell Dimension XPS T450 so it can handle the whole Myst series. I want to use Win 98SE and never want to give another penny to Microsoft for its defective OS and other crappy software. Win 98SE is good enough to do what I need.

Heimdall_G
12-01-2005, 10:58 AM
Start looking in the Dell Community Forums, Hardware Forum, XPS T450 Upgrade section (http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/search?board_id=dim_upghw&submitted=true&q=XPS+T450&x=7&y=13).

JN_2004
12-01-2005, 11:48 AM
Thank You Heimdall G. I had no idea that such information existed. Looks like I'm on the way to an upgrade and some more game purchases.

Heimdall_G
12-01-2005, 03:35 PM
As part of your upgrade process, don't neglect to look at an entirely new system. Sometimes, the cost of upgrading an older system is significantly greater than buying a complete new system (the PC itself, NOT including monitor, printer, other peripherals, etc.)

First, do your homework. Determine what you want in terms of the various upgrade bits and pieces, then search the Internet to get an idea of what each piece will cost. Then, with that information in hand, go to your local brick-and-mortar computer stores, like Best Buy, CompUSA, independents like PC Parts & Services, et al, and compare what they can do for you. Note that those nice folks at the B&M places may well not really have a clue as to what they're talking about (much more so at Best Buy/CompUSA, much less so at the independents), so pick their brains, take *written* notes, then go home and cogitate. If some of what you've heard sounds like BS...it very likely is! (Note that if they can't get a job asking if you want fries with that, they'll go to Best Buy/CompUSA. Who tend to hire anything with a pulse...that doesn't have an obvious substance-abuse problem or overwhelming body odor...and can say "computer" without a silly grin....)

JN_2004
12-02-2005, 09:45 AM
heh heh... I spent a number of years as a retail store manager, so you don't have to tell me about staffing issues. It's one of the reasons I am back in school. Anyhow, I agree with what you advise. I have already found a 1.4 ghz P4 w/heatsink and fan. The cost of that plus the video card is almost equal to a new Dell box. But off-the-shelf Dells are sold with XP, which I don't need and don't want to pay for. So it appears I will have to build something whether or not it can play Myst. I will use computers forever but I want to avoid Microsoft like plague. Thanks again.