PDA

View Full Version : Let's get scientific - is '98 the problem?

XyZspineZyX
11-22-2003, 06:24 PM
OK, I'm having pretty much all of the different problems people are listing here. Sometimes I have a white screen, almost everytime i try to fly the game crashes to desktop and sometimes freezes. I got into a mission only once, and then my cockpit and plane textures disappeared (surprisingly the clouds looked fine) and large pieces of the ground were turned white - and there was no sound! Now, I have a wimpy system:

800Mhz athlon
Win 98SE
320 MB ram
Radeon 9800 non-pro
Cat 3.9 drivers

But, the demo worked absolutely fine on my system, usually around 30fps at med settings. Isn't that the point of a demo, to help you find out how the game will run on your system?

I tried all the fixes people have suggested: running in a window, turning sound acceleration down in dxdiag, uninstalling, reinstalling and trying to fly without changing default graphics settings. Nothing works...

What I'm wondering is how many people with problems have Win '98? Can we narrow it down to an OS or is this a hardware problem? I'd prefer to only spend a hundred bucks on XP if that would fix the problem. Otherwise, I'm gonna have to buy a new mo-board, processor, memory. Let's get this thing to work one way or another!

XyZspineZyX
11-22-2003, 06:24 PM
OK, I'm having pretty much all of the different problems people are listing here. Sometimes I have a white screen, almost everytime i try to fly the game crashes to desktop and sometimes freezes. I got into a mission only once, and then my cockpit and plane textures disappeared (surprisingly the clouds looked fine) and large pieces of the ground were turned white - and there was no sound! Now, I have a wimpy system:

800Mhz athlon
Win 98SE
320 MB ram
Radeon 9800 non-pro
Cat 3.9 drivers

But, the demo worked absolutely fine on my system, usually around 30fps at med settings. Isn't that the point of a demo, to help you find out how the game will run on your system?

I tried all the fixes people have suggested: running in a window, turning sound acceleration down in dxdiag, uninstalling, reinstalling and trying to fly without changing default graphics settings. Nothing works...

What I'm wondering is how many people with problems have Win '98? Can we narrow it down to an OS or is this a hardware problem? I'd prefer to only spend a hundred bucks on XP if that would fix the problem. Otherwise, I'm gonna have to buy a new mo-board, processor, memory. Let's get this thing to work one way or another!

XyZspineZyX
11-22-2003, 07:48 PM
Has anyone tried upgrading from '98 to XP? Did it help? Would anyone advise this?

Thanks!

XyZspineZyX
11-22-2003, 07:54 PM
I just bought and installed xp. So I will let you know soon if lomac works.

XyZspineZyX
11-22-2003, 08:02 PM
We have a test subject! That'd be great if you could let us know!

Thanks for your help!

XyZspineZyX
11-22-2003, 08:21 PM
Reading through almost every post here on the tech support forum, seems like a large proportion of people with problems are indeed running Win '98... Anybody who has switched from '98 to XP, please let us know if this fixes your problems!

I too would like to know what the heck they did between the demo and the final release. The demo worked GREAT on my lame system!

XyZspineZyX
11-22-2003, 08:48 PM
Dunno 'bout 98se,but I've got dual boot Me and XP Pro,and every time I tried to run it on the 9X side(Installed to the local drive) it CTD's after the main menu.I've even tried rolling back the drivers to CAT 3.7 as they are about the most "Stable", and still no joy.
My advice to those who can is to up to XP at this time
and wait for a patch from UBI or ATI (If it turns out that it's their drivers) I too anxiously await a developement as I primarily like to game on the 9X side as its' a bit easier to tweak than XP,specially since I have all my office type programs on that side.

BTW sys. specs 4 those who are interested:
P4 2.53 running 2.8 stable on ASUS P4PE
512 Mb HyperX PC3000 at CAS2
2 WD ATA 100's Partitioned into 4
WinXP Pro,WinMe with dx 9.0b
Cat 3.9 (WHQL) on XP (Omega's drivers cause artifacts 4 me)
SB Live 5.1(W Min. Accelleration)

XyZspineZyX
11-22-2003, 08:50 PM
I heard from more bete testers that Win98 and WinME are no go.

Also, a while back I posted a request in General discussion for those who run it normally in Win98, WinME to post the specs, settings - my post is already on 5th page with 0 replies, in bugs forum someone with XP responded suggesting to manually increase the setting for max RAM in WinME (somewhere the MS knowledge base describes how to do it).

So I take it no one on these forums runs Lomack in Win98 or WinME successfully.

XyZspineZyX
11-22-2003, 08:54 PM
While I have no idea if 98 et al are causing additional problems, I DO know that simply switching to XP doesn't always work. I have XP, and no matter what I try, it continues to hang on trying to get anywhere in the game (Any fly button, any mission, even the saved tracks) I have yet to get to the cockpit.

XyZspineZyX
11-22-2003, 08:58 PM
I went out and bought xp, and finally got it going. LOMAC works awesome now. It is just too bad I had to get rid of my trusty old Win98se just to be able to play lomac. Especially when on the box it freekin says win98. Kinda hacked me off.

XyZspineZyX
11-22-2003, 09:08 PM
That is great news Klugman! Congratulations!

Guess I'm off to the store to get XP...

XyZspineZyX
11-22-2003, 09:26 PM
Thank you, Klugman

for coming back from the skies and helping out the rest of us left behind.

My system is identical to "rjr..." at this thread and between the 2 of your posts that is good enough for me.

As for UBI's scruples about saying only "XP is recommended" on the box, well I won't go there now out of respect for Mr. "Wags" because Jane's F/A-18 was just the best, and I know he is trying to help as many of us as possible,
but there are going to be alot of unhappy people who found out their $40 US game is going to be $240.

Certainly some of them will be lawyers.

Thanks again for your help guys.

BigA

XyZspineZyX
11-22-2003, 09:46 PM
Just an FYI

I was having texture problems and "white screen problems"
like others have posted here. (running 98 se)

I had some time and a upgrade copy of xp pro laying around so i thought i would try my same hardware with xp.

Hardware:
2.6 p4 fsb800
Asus p4p800
1 gig ram
80 gig 8meg cashe HD
ati 9700 pro
SB Live 5.1

After installing a clean copy of xp, catalist 3.9 drivers,
MoBo drivers, sound drivers, and setting my swap file to 1 gig., i installed fresh , lock on and Guess what.

It work beutifully
Except for my $80.00 MS Force Feedback 2 stick, limper than Whisky Di@k.

Im glad it works for me now but this is lame for the folks that dont happen to have another operating system laying around

Just thought i'd let you guys know.

XyZspineZyX
11-22-2003, 09:53 PM
Klugman, did you upgrade to WinXP or did a clean install ?

I have several Gigs of office data on this comp - clean install sounds so dangerous.

XyZspineZyX
11-22-2003, 09:59 PM
T first I upgraded, but I had a problem with my dsl and router so I had to format my C: partition and do a fresh install. Lomac works Great on my system except of course for the MSff2 limp stick.

My specs are:

MSI K7N2 Delta @400fsb
Xp2500+ barton running as a xp3200+ smooth as silk.
Nvidia fx5600 128meg
512 corsair xms
SBlive xgamer

I hope they fix the problem with windows 98. My wife almost lost it when I said I was going to spend 200 bux just to play a game. LOL

Klugman

XyZspineZyX
11-22-2003, 10:19 PM
Klugman, thank you for answering.

Pricewatch mentions Athlon XP 2500 and XP 2500 333. Which one do you have ? Is the first one with 400 FSB ?

XyZspineZyX
11-22-2003, 10:27 PM
I have the XP2500+ 333fsb with barton core. I paid only 80 bux for it. Very overclockable cpu, and it runs pretty cool with just an amd approved fan and heatsink. I highly recommend getting one of these babys if you cant afford a more pricey cpu.

Klugman

XyZspineZyX
11-22-2003, 10:50 PM
I have been testing Lock On extensively on both Win98 and XP. The "white screen" bug and some in-game CTDs are Win98-specific. There are some other issues that are NOT specific to Win98, especially those related to the copy protection. While it may not solve everything, you are practically guaranteed to see significant inmprovement in Lock On's stability by upgrading from Win98 to WinXP.

Klugman wrote:
- Especially when on the box it freekin
- says win98.

Oy. That's a very unfortunate error, all my work was for nothing. I was told it would read "only recommended for use with Windows XP".

Sorry guys, I strongly prefer Win98 too. I'll keep fighting for our rights but it's an uphill battle and I have no backup. In the meantime it's to your benefit to upgrade to XP. Just please, don't tell Ubi Soft how easily you caved. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

-SK

XyZspineZyX
11-22-2003, 11:35 PM
I have about 6 pc's here so I decided to test this game on one of my 98 machines. I just got the white screen and green stripes on game start. I am now going to load xp as an upgrade and see the resutls. I feel sure this game just will not run on any other os besides 2000/xp but, I have to see for myself. Hope this helps solve the mystery.

Backbiter

XyZspineZyX
11-22-2003, 11:48 PM
Well UBI should look at this realistically,they DID say on the Box that it was 98/Me compatible and I even tried a complete format re-install on ME with DX 8.1 and the first drivers that shipped with my Radeon 9700-Still no joy! I don't want to give the wrong impression that the game itself disappoints,but The Boxes should definately have stated XP only.
Guess we just have to wait on a Patch for those not fortunate enough to be able to dual-boot to XP.

XyZspineZyX
11-23-2003, 02:25 AM
As I suspected it works fine on xp.

EK-VAPUS
04-10-2004, 06:13 PM
Win 98 is emachine material these days.....

BanaBob
04-10-2004, 08:55 PM
It does say (WinXP recommended) on my box and if there is one thing i've learned when buying games, have the recommended or better. Just my opinion. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

AMD 2500XP OC to 2800XP
MSI KT4AV Mobo
Radeon 9600XT 128mb OD on
1.25GB DDR 2700 Ram
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz 5.1
40GB HD
http://www.imageshack.us/img2/3969/BobStein69.jpg
"Why don't they make the whole plane out of that black box stuff."

Steven Wright