PDA

View Full Version : If 1.3 *DID NOT* break your game what did you do?

MeJoe
05-12-2005, 10:09 AM
I am fishing a bit here but consider:

Anyone here scratching their heads as to how in the world the wonderful folks who gave us SHIII could knowingly release such an appearent game killer as the 1.3 patch? Let us assume for the moment that the patch tested just fine for the Dev Team.

With the application of the 1.3 patch there seem to be many who have lost their sonarman. When I applied the patch I lost the sonarman but ALSO my *Bridge Watch* went blind and refused to announce contacts.

Assuming we all applied identical patches there must have been some difference in our PRE-patch install that caused the different result. This difference in result along with the above assumption that the Dev Team is not insane lends some hope that 1.3 will work fine if applied under the right conditions. Thus the question.

"If 1.3 DID NOT deafen your sonarman or blind your bridge watch just what was the state of your SHIII install when you applied the patch?"

Things like...
Did you ever have any of the mods in your install?
Did you apply the patch to an existing campaign?
What type sub? What model sonar?
What realism settings?

Like I said, I'm fishing, but with a deaf sonarman and a blind bridgewatch there is little else to do out here in the Atlantic.

Any nibbles appreciated.

MeJoe
05-12-2005, 10:09 AM
I am fishing a bit here but consider:

Anyone here scratching their heads as to how in the world the wonderful folks who gave us SHIII could knowingly release such an appearent game killer as the 1.3 patch? Let us assume for the moment that the patch tested just fine for the Dev Team.

With the application of the 1.3 patch there seem to be many who have lost their sonarman. When I applied the patch I lost the sonarman but ALSO my *Bridge Watch* went blind and refused to announce contacts.

Assuming we all applied identical patches there must have been some difference in our PRE-patch install that caused the different result. This difference in result along with the above assumption that the Dev Team is not insane lends some hope that 1.3 will work fine if applied under the right conditions. Thus the question.

"If 1.3 DID NOT deafen your sonarman or blind your bridge watch just what was the state of your SHIII install when you applied the patch?"

Things like...
Did you ever have any of the mods in your install?
Did you apply the patch to an existing campaign?
What type sub? What model sonar?
What realism settings?

Like I said, I'm fishing, but with a deaf sonarman and a blind bridgewatch there is little else to do out here in the Atlantic.

Any nibbles appreciated.

FCBill
05-12-2005, 10:24 AM
Despite the mute crew, I've managed to find two convoys and a Bogue carrier group without any contact reports. The game still slows to 8x tc when a contact is found, even if the crew doesn't say anything.

I agree that muting the crew was a really big mistake, but in 1.3 I made a >130k ton patrol in July '44. The contacts still do show up, and it still does slow tc, so finding ships is in no way hampered. It just would be nice to know what is gonna hunt me down and what isn't. I've moved too close to a few DDs thinking they might be merchants and came close to suffering the ultimate consequence.

Bubblehead1948
05-12-2005, 11:53 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif I went as far as to blow the whole prog out of the system. I even went through the XP registry to clean out the last bits pieces of shIII I could find.

I then installed it fresh, and applied only the v1.3 patch. Nothing else! Still, the only thing I can force out of the hydrophone operator is a text message of the nearest contact --and ONLY upon activating the request button. You could have a ship coming through the very hull, but no warning will be provided from the sound operator.

Whatever is causing this seems to be hard and fast in the coding. It does not seem to be an
interaction with old patches or mods.

plenten
05-12-2005, 01:26 PM
Hi,

I do not frequently visit the forum. I have just downloaded patch 1.3, and checked the forum while it was downloading. Came across this topic. Sounds scary...

Install patch 1.3 or not??

Cheers

U-49
05-12-2005, 01:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by plenten:
Install patch 1.3 or not?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Solely up to you. I'm running a stock game (modless) with 1.3 and quite happy with it. Aside from my sonar operator coming down with an acute case of laryngitis, 1.3 is definitely an improvement over 1.2. If you backup the appropriate SH3 files, you can always revert back to an earlier patch. Failing that, a reinstall takes very little time.

Bubblehead1948
05-12-2005, 03:03 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif 1.3 is do-able. The most frustrating aspect of it is trying to track targets underwater. You will have to micromanage the hydrophones/sonar every step of the way. The hydro officer will give you the position of the nearest contact --ON DEMAND ONLY.

I'll have to admit, I bagged two small merchants struggling this way, but you really have to be continuously sharp with manual intervention on the sound controls.

One bright spot is that a trained watchman seems to have a better ability to spot distant targets --even in lousey weather. This is an asset, but of course, it is more risky being on the surface to do this.

Its playable, and quite a bit has been improved, but if your tactics depend heavily on the cooperation of the sound officer, dont expect much from that fellow.

Scythe5
05-12-2005, 11:30 PM
While I love the abiltiy to BE the hyrophone/sonar guy......

I would expect him to call out threats or targets in the area when I am not.

Point: If I have to do everything on the ship, why do I have a crew?

Sticking with 1.2 for now (warts and all).

Daddldiddl
05-12-2005, 11:51 PM
Clean install with 1.3, then applied the VII skin mod and the recognition manual mod. Loaded the last savegame in harbour: all working fine. No problems. I love the harbour maps - and the watch & sonar people were quite stupid before, too.

Oh, and I never installed that gamewatch sh*t!