PDA

View Full Version : Speed up SCPT?

redskirts
10-04-2004, 02:03 PM
Actually i took a link from chuchjustchuck for majorgeeks.com. Cool site, but as a novice in the PC gaming community i was wondering if anyone has tried any of the downloads that suggest increased game play configurations.

Right now i get about 40-50fps on most maps except vertigo for some reason. Which is nice but every once in a while i lag out.

There are a couple of freeware downloads that say they will configure windows xp to optimize files for gaming. Has anyone tried them or have any recommendations on if i should try it?

Spekkio9
10-04-2004, 02:27 PM
Before you try this, what are your specs? Certain tweaks are ok, but some can have bad side effects if you don't know exactly what you are doing (like disabling LAN capabilities and all this other stuff you might need later on). Since this is a program, and you don't have any control over what it does when you run it, I personally wouldn't do it.

Generally, I don't recommend crazy tweaking unless you A) have a bottom of the barrel computer AND B) don't have enough money to upgrade. It will take a lot of time, and doesn't give all that much of a performance increase.

SCPT was not optimized for the computer properly. That is why an XBox - which is basically an old computer - runs the game just as well as mid to upper end computers. The only thing you might want to try is tweaking your default.cfg (located in the scpt/online/system folder) so that mindesiredframerate = 50 (occurs twice) and desiredrefreshrate = 75 (or whatever your monitor's is).

Destructo_Bot
10-04-2004, 02:29 PM
...and set reducemouselag to 0 or false as well.

redskirts
10-04-2004, 02:54 PM
Dell P4 2.8ghz
Windows XP
Ati 9800pro
with 700 some odd #RAM

The game runs well and i will try tweaking the default.cfg files first. Thanks

Spekkio9
10-04-2004, 07:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Destructo_Bot:
...and set reducemouselag to 0 or false as well. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

See, I didn't like the results when I did that. It made my game get choppy, whereas before it wasn't. So I leave that one on.

Destructo_Bot
10-04-2004, 07:44 PM
It doubled my framerate and everything looks smooth.

3.2ghz p4 with 9800pro.

S.a.S-Xietsu
10-04-2004, 09:55 PM
thats quite a high end system, so i would only recommend to experiment with such features; as what you suggesed was for him to just give it a go despite possible problems (not saying you specifically stated that, of course http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ) it may cause for him

Spekkio9
10-04-2004, 10:51 PM
Yea I have an AMD Athlon 3000+ XP, ATI Radeon 9800 pro 128 MB, and 1024 MB Ram.

Redskirts, like you posted "the game runs well and I'll try the config first." Well, if the game runs fine why bother with other tweaks? It's the old addage "if it ain't broke don't fix it." The config tweak will most likely make the game run a little smoother, but beyond that there is no reason to mess around with stuff in windows. All this disabling services in windows xp and the like is meant for lower end computers -- like P4 1.0-1.8 ghz. You won't see a difference in a game like SCPT, in which your system is well above the requirements, and even in future games the difference will be miniscule at best -- if you're lucky you'll get a 10% boost in performance. That may sound like a lot until you realize it's a boost of at most 6 on games you don't need it for, or less for games where it is desireable.

Destructo -- I am not disputing that the refreshrate and mindesiredframerate tweaks will increase framerate, as they did on my computer as well. However, on my system on warehouse, I started experiencing choppiness with reducemouselag set to false. When it was true, it ran smooth, so I left it as true. Also, I found it easier to hit the spies with the tazer when the refreshrate (and thus max framerate) was at 60 and not 75, so I reverted to 60.