PDA

View Full Version : how do smoke bombs reveal targets?

DannyStrong
01-06-2011, 12:46 PM
i know you can use firecrackers on a group of people to find out who the real target is (it's the one not covering their eyes). But it seems like some people tend to use a smoke bomb on me when I'm in a group but they shouldn't have a way of determining which one is me. Everyone starting coughing as a result of a smoke bomb (including targets) so I don't get how it can be used to reveal a target. Is there some kind of subtle thing that other people are able to pick up on?

inkyjinx
01-06-2011, 12:49 PM
I -believe- its human reaction - generally, the 'player' persona reacts to a smoke bomb. Your better players know to just let go of the controller and let the persona act as an NPC.

If I'm wrong (highly likely!) someone please educate us both!

LeatherDaddy
01-06-2011, 12:51 PM
I could be wrong on this, but I heard that players have slightly different animations than NPCs. I tried it last night and thought the players started coughing a bit before the NPCs, but I would have to try it again to know for sure.

papartusedmcrsk
01-06-2011, 12:56 PM
^ I usually go for the one who started coughing first, and a surprisingly high amount of the time, I get them right. That may be it, or I may be extremely lucky.

EscoBlades
01-06-2011, 12:58 PM
Player and NPC animations when reacting to smoke differ slightly. I personally have not tried it, but a few on the forum have, and i've been caught out by other players a few times as well.

Cloudfuel
01-06-2011, 12:59 PM
...well, when I use smokebombs like that I already know which one is you and I am usually going for the incog + slow poison + hidden + focus bonus. So for me, the smokebomb is not a method to flush you out.. it is to lock you in place while I do my work. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

EscoBlades
01-06-2011, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Cloudfuel:
...well, when I use smokebombs like that I already know which one is you and I am usually going for the incog + slow poison + hidden + focus bonus. So for me, the smokebomb is not a method to flush you out.. it is to lock you in place while I do my work. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

And i'm a big fan of your work, lol.

FireTempest00
01-06-2011, 02:22 PM
Wouldn't the slight lag give your target away anyway?

Since the NPCs on your end will start coughing up first then the player inside would start coughing or whatever.

stitchlessdeath
01-06-2011, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Cloudfuel:

Yeah, what he said, once I got those with hidden, savior, and pocher, right after my focus finished they were able to use firecrackers, so I got a blinded kill on top of that too, it was awesome, massive points... smoke is definately a focus tool.

obliviondoll
01-06-2011, 03:32 PM
I'm not good at picking it in a hurry, but I've noticed that when I'm smoked, my choking animation is different - and a couple of times been able to pick it out on other players when smoking them.

it's only a small difference in the hand/arm positions, but it's there.

Squiddish
01-06-2011, 03:42 PM
There are 2 different coughing animations, and I'm pretty sure Players and NPCs randomly do one of them.

Like someone said, due to latency, the player is coughing slightly behind everyone else. He's coughing (your latency) milliseconds after everyone else so the animation is visibly offset.

Needs fix IMO.

E-Zekiel
01-06-2011, 04:20 PM
I've never used them to reveal targets, and I never will. They're for defense, really.

I killed a smoked target the other day only by coincidence. I saw my pursuer coming at me (Mercenary) and threw my smoke down because he looked like he was rushing. Well he wasn't rushing as much as I thought he was. I caught a hellequin in my smoke bomb radius.

I then notice that the Hellequin is my target and my compass is full, so I said screw it. Took the kill for 550 points, and took my death for 300 lol.

DarkKing166
01-06-2011, 05:14 PM
the way i do it is its used to help counter the "miss kill and get stunned" in manhunt, you see you go up to a group of your targets thats been morphed, toss a smoke bomb, you kill the wrong guy, you have a chance to avoid a stun due to the real one still being smoked and keep from giving stun points. atleast thats how me and my teammates normaly play manhunt. i have never seen a differnce in the timing or the way they act when smoked unless someone walks into it right after its used.