PDA

View Full Version : low fps in MP, is this normal

Mad_Murdock2k
11-28-2004, 10:12 PM
OK, this one seems to have popped up with the 1.3 patch and it seems to come and go depending on the server.
Has this screenshot (http://www.geocities.com/dale.white/FarCry/lowfps.jpg) shows, I get some awful fps on certain MP maps, but only at certain places.

In this one, it's the 2nd flag point. Has long as I'm not looking directly at it, I'll be in the 70-100 fps range. Once I turn and look at it (say when someone is shooting me) I'm in the 20s-30s. Same thing happens on Dam when walking on the beach of the first flag.

Interestly enough, maps like Monkeybay, Airstrip and Jungle don't give me problems. Also, I can play on Servers with a crisp 15 ping and still get it.

I have the 6800GT, but was seeing the same thing on the X800XT, though it only dropped to the mid 30s

I've tried an array of drivers, tweaks and other adjusts from playing on High to low noAA to 2xAA and nothng seems to make a difference.

Is there something I could have turned on in the game settings that would cause this ? It's really drving me nuts

Basic config info is
AMD3800+
1.5GB of ram
6800GT currently running the 66.93 drivers
Noaa, NoAF, No-Vsyc
1024x768x32

Yavimaya666
11-28-2004, 10:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mad_Murdock2k:
OK, this one seems to have popped up with the 1.3 patch and it seems to come and go depending on the server.
Has http://www.geocities.com/dale.white/FarCry/lowfps.jpg shows, I get some awful fps on certain MP maps, but only at certain places.

In this one, it's the 2nd flag point. Has long as I'm not looking directly at it, I'll be in the 70-100 fps range. Once I turn and look at it (say when someone is shooting me) I'm in the 20s-30s. Same thing happens on Dam when walking on the beach of the first flag.

Interestly enough, maps like Monkeybay, Airstrip and Jungle don't give me problems. Also, I can play on Servers with a crisp 15 ping and still get it.

I have the 6800GT, but was seeing the same thing on the X800XT, though it only dropped to the mid 30s

I've tried an array of drivers, tweaks and other adjusts from playing on High to low noAA to 2xAA and nothng seems to make a difference.

Is there something I could have turned on in the game settings that would cause this ? It's really drving me nuts

Basic config info is
AMD3800+
1.5GB of ram
6800GT currently running the 66.93 drivers
Noaa, NoAF, No-Vsyc
1024x768x32 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it really could just be a part of farcry.
I get this also, well used to alot, not so mucvh anymore.
But i bought a geforce 5700 (mainstream), one day it would run with absolutely everything on high, high FPS. The next day it wouldnt even run everything on low at decent FPS.

I have since bought a geforce 5950 (high end), it seems better, but there have been times with this game that i have had better FPS on the mainstream card, with everything up, than i got wih my high end card, with everything on low.

You wouldnt believe how many, and i mean HEAPS of bugs/ problems this game has.
But.... as you would expect from guys like these, work has been discontinued, and your problem will probably never be solved.

Suli (was taken)
11-28-2004, 10:40 PM
odd i just started to get something like this 3 days a go. checked my settings and every thing was normal.
only in some directions. on some maps.

thedudemanguy
11-28-2004, 10:58 PM
"comes and goes depending on server"

sounds like server lag.

haven't had any problems with fps myself.

Mad_Murdock2k
11-28-2004, 10:58 PM
Well, I'm wondering if server admins are setting something like Max_Veggation or something.

I know that some of it is because of the MP factor, has I can fire up a standalone game and keep 80-100 fps in those areasm, Same is true if I join our server when it's empty.

To go with what Tavimaya666 said, it seemed when I was running my 9800Pro I never had this issue in MP, then I upgrade to the 6800GT and X800XT and it all started. Guess I could put the 9800 back in and see if it dos it or not.

I ran the 3dmark05, 3dmark03 and Aquamark test and Im still get high numbers has always, so I'm under the impression it's not a system problem, at least nothing that jumps out at me

TheDude, I would agree that it seems like the server is to blame. I realize getting a 15-20 ping doesn't mean everything , but I would think that it would mean something. Maybe I'm all wet

thedudemanguy
11-28-2004, 11:04 PM
hmm... well the only thing different in those cards in the 3.0/2.0b paths... you might try disabling those if they are on... running shaders in high instead of very high perhaps? I don't know though, don't have those cards to test with.

hazards32
11-29-2004, 02:18 AM
This is just another strange occurance with farcry. For myself i can get 50fps when walking along the left path when attacking the first flag on airstrip and on another day it will be in the teens . Well sometimes it fluctuates within the same game . No people in veiw, same point and completely different fps ,go figure.

No help here m8 but try and work it out for us all as i would love this problem to go away.

Mad_Murdock2k
11-29-2004, 07:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> hmm... well the only thing different in those cards in the 3.0/2.0b paths <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, I play with everything set to low\Medium, so it's using the 1.1 shaders.

What strikes me has old is that it "seems" like it just recently started doing this. I had some fps drops when I played under 1.2 and have everything set to high, but play on Med\Low always "seemed" to take care of it.

I actually first noticed the slow downs when I got the X800XT, which was right about the time the 1.3 patch came out. At that time, I thought it was something flaky with the X800XT, Which is why I went back to the 6800GT,

Maybe I need to go back and figure out which drivers I was using, maybe some of the early beta\leaked\whatever striped out junk like the Omega do

hazards32
11-29-2004, 09:06 AM
I very much doubt this is your hardware/software Murdock unless it is repeatable on different servers at all times .

The reason i believe this fps slowdown occurs is that the server is lagging and your pc is waiting for info that never arrives ,hence your gpu has nothing to render and you get lower fps .
The reason i say this is that i never change my settings anymore and i can get wildly different fps on differring days/games/sessions/servers.
Same drivers ,settings ,hardeware and then vastly differing performance . The only variable is my connection to the server.

Mad_Murdock2k
11-29-2004, 11:31 AM
Well, what has me scratching my head is that it's fairly repeatable. I consistenly get massive fps drops on the 2nd flag at Mangoriver and the Beach on Dam and Flags 1 and two on Railway and when I spawn indoors on flag 2 at box canyons. It's seems that anything with the gray blocks does it

I've played on our server, the pG caranage and DS battlefield and it's the same behavior at the same spots everytime. If there is only 3-4 people, then it's not bad, get 10+ people on, and it's barely playable at those spots.

Oddly enough, everywhere else on the maps it's just fine. Si I'm trying to figure out what is it about those areas that drags me down

jbyrtus
11-29-2004, 11:49 AM
i have some of the same problems, M AND M. dam is perhaps the worst map, fps wise. the last flag my FPS could drop and stay around 25-30. maybe server running ULTRA UBER water? the servers have to run some vegetation, but is it necessary for every detail of the greenery to be displayed? the same goes with water: looks nice, but if it costs me 20fps, i'll settle for medium. I will have to run r_displayinfo 1 on mango and see how it is on the second flag.

btw, i played single player for the first time since i got a 9800 pro: OMG THERE ARE ANIMALS?!?!? i was wasting birds with the falcon left and right. I was running everything on high, i think 1x AA, no AF, and was averaging 65-100 fps: except rebellion, with the stupid fatboys firing rockets, bogged me to 20. the monsters look so real now; nearly pooped myself at 2 AM running around indoors and the swinging ceiling lights caught the eyes of a trigen.

Mad_Murdock2k
11-29-2004, 01:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> with the stupid fatboys firing rockets <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I hate those Rocket Noobs !

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> the monsters look so real now; nearly pooped myself at 2 AM running around indoors and the swinging ceiling lights caught the eyes of a trigen <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, then go ahead and play Doom3 and you should get a full bowel flushing. If you don't believe me, watch the Mesh plays Doom3 (http://www.fileplanet.com/files/140000/144660.shtml)videos. Though to be fair, we are talking about a British fella, so that explains most of the screaming and crying like a gurl !

wesgo
11-29-2004, 04:44 PM
1. sorry for my english (not my language), i hope its at least good enough that you get the sense of what im trying to say.

a few days ago i played on a server with only custom-maps. when i played on boxcanyons i thougt first i have lag but then i realised that the fps dropped. and that happened to everyone that played longer then just this map. all the players who joined on boxcanyons or reconnectet had no fps-drops.
so maybe this is another problem but it could be related to the one you described already.
i hope this can help to find a solution.

oildalemonkey
11-29-2004, 06:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mad_Murdock2k:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> hmm... well the only thing different in those cards in the 3.0/2.0b paths <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, I play with everything set to low\Medium, so it's using the 1.1 shaders.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Why do u play on low/medium? Does it decrease vegetation or something so that you can see better/easier in the game? Ah, maybe that's your secret...

Mad_Murdock2k
11-29-2004, 06:35 PM
Parvo,

The only secret to that is, I want to keep my FPS at it's highest, if there is something I can turn off or down to that would give me a constant 100fps, then I would do it.

There is one advantage you can get by running Textures on low and water on Ultra high and that completely transparent Water.

Running on high has some advantages, for example weapons' fire lights up the area and makes the other guy eaiser to spot and everything just looks better. But the cost to fps is too great for that advantage. Going from 80 fps to sub 30 fps in a matter of 2-3 secs normally means I'm dead meat

The other downside to running on all high is maps like Monkeybay which has the birds and stuff flying around, which distracts me or causes me to look away at the wrong thing.

But in the end, it's all about trying to achieve a constant 100fps at all times. Which I got pretty use to in Battlefield

Javelin3o4
11-29-2004, 11:54 PM
how are you getting the fps display in the corner of the screen?

Mad_Murdock2k
11-30-2004, 01:00 AM
OK Javelin, You signature is bigger than your actual post, so that's 2 points off, how about working those so they are side by side or something.

To answer your question, you can use a program like FRAPS (http://www.fraps.com) or you can hit the ~ and type \r_displayinfo 1 to turn on the in-game reading and 0 to run it off