PDA

View Full Version : Most Underrated movies of 2005

Slickrick2345
12-23-2005, 12:03 AM
Since this year is almost at an end for 2006 id like to hear from forumers what they believe the most underrated movie of 2005 was.
Me personally i think the island was the most underrated movie, before it released i heard about it and saw the trailer which didnt look to great but i just rented it last week as a free rental and all i have to say is Wow this movie was simply awesome, great cast(Ewan Mcgregor,Scarlett Johansson, sean bean, michael clarke Duncan, steve buscemi) had a great plot which kept me on the edge of my seat. If you have the chance, go out and rent it

Slickrick2345
12-23-2005, 12:03 AM
Since this year is almost at an end for 2006 id like to hear from forumers what they believe the most underrated movie of 2005 was.
Me personally i think the island was the most underrated movie, before it released i heard about it and saw the trailer which didnt look to great but i just rented it last week as a free rental and all i have to say is Wow this movie was simply awesome, great cast(Ewan Mcgregor,Scarlett Johansson, sean bean, michael clarke Duncan, steve buscemi) had a great plot which kept me on the edge of my seat. If you have the chance, go out and rent it

Captain JeB
12-23-2005, 01:27 AM
The movie was okay...But soon as they left the medical facility the movie went down hill.

I watch alot of movies, and nothing really stands out in my mind.

Neeenja-
12-23-2005, 06:30 AM
Ong-Bak!

Not underrated because it actually got rave reviews, but underexposed, even though it came out a number of years ago.

Ridiculous plot, hilariously bad dialogue, awesome *** fight scenes. What more could you want in a martial arts flick?

Watch it, you'll thank me later.

Also, anyone happen to see the second movie Tony Jaa was in? I watched a bit of it, but I forgot the name.

The Buddha is ---> Neeenja'

Ronin559
12-23-2005, 10:26 AM
My vote goes to domino, I realy enjoyed that movie. Plus http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gifKeira Knightlyhttp://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif is so dam HOT http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

Mikevolta
12-23-2005, 10:58 AM
My vote goes to Cinderella Man. I'm not a boxing fan, but I enjoyed it. Because I'm not a boxing fan, I'd never heard of the guy, and had no idea how it would turn out. Right up till the credits roll you're unsure what will happen, that doesn't happen too often in movies anymore.

PacNW_CE
12-23-2005, 11:19 AM
Underrated is a bit ambiguous. Underrated in terms of box office draw, or underrated in terms of critical acclaim?

Good Night and Good Luck was brilliant, as was Capote. Neither set box office records, but were both well recieved by critics.

Think Psychonauts, and apply that to movies.

l337pino
12-23-2005, 11:45 AM
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>The Island (its ad campaign gave us the wrong idea of what the movie would be like)

<LI>The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (one of my current fav's. Although they made some changes from the books, they were well done/chosen)

<LI>Ong-Bak (we're definitely going to see some good movies in the future from the guys that made this. I was blown away)

<LI>Kung Fu Hustle (although popular in geek culture and a cult fav., it never really got absorbed by the masses)

<LI>Serenity (good stuff from a good series..both underrated)

<LI>Mr. and Mrs. Smith (I was surprised how good this was; Jolie and Pitt worked well together and their characters complimented each other's personality quite well)[/list]

Capt97
12-23-2005, 11:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mikevolta:
My vote goes to Cinderella Man. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I have yet to see that but I've only heard good things about it from many people. The same goes with The Island.

DocHolidazed
12-23-2005, 02:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pino_GruntFest:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>The Island (its ad campaign gave us the wrong idea of what the movie would be like)

<LI>The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (one of my current fav's. Although they made some changes from the books, they were well done/chosen)

<LI>Ong-Bak (we're definitely going to see some good movies in the future from the guys that made this. I was blown away)

<LI>Kung Fu Hustle (although popular in geek culture and a cult fav., it never really got absorbed by the masses)

<LI>Serenity (good stuff from a good series..both underrated)

<LI>Mr. and Mrs. Smith (I was surprised how good this was; Jolie and Pitt worked well together and their characters complimented each other's personality quite well)[/list] </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The HitchHikers guide to the Galaxy is definitely a must see...a co-worker turned me on to this and it is definately underated. Good choices in addition to that.

Mookel
12-23-2005, 03:26 PM
Trapped in the Closet Chapters 1-12

n2mDeanoR
12-23-2005, 03:34 PM
A history of violence.

Genesis.11
12-23-2005, 06:07 PM
The Island was pretty good- that was the movie that crossed my mind when I saw 'underrated.'

I do agree though that once in the real world there was a bit of plot suffering.

Ghengis_John
12-23-2005, 07:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mikevolta:
My vote goes to Cinderella Man. I'm not a boxing fan, but I enjoyed it. Because I'm not a boxing fan, I'd never heard of the guy, and had no idea how it would turn out. Right up till the credits roll you're unsure what will happen, that doesn't happen too often in movies anymore. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Question, is it the same cinderella man who signed on to fight Joe Lewis in exchange for ten percent of lewis's profits for the rest of his life? In case the movie doesn't mention it he went eight rounds with Lewis, the best Schnelling could muster was 3.

Neeenja-
12-24-2005, 03:15 AM
Oh ****!

Did ANYONE see Kung Fu Hustle? That movie was ****ING AWESOME!!

Also, the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy I thought was hilarious. Most of the people on my home island don't really understand British humor, though.

Doesn't actually cuss that much ---&gt; The Neeenja'

BitSeraph
12-24-2005, 03:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Neeenja-:
Most of the people on my home island don't really understand British humor, though.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hitchiker's: The Movie doesn't have any. I've never seem something gut its source material so effectively...

Neeenja-
12-24-2005, 03:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BitSeraph:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Neeenja-:
Most of the people on my home island don't really understand British humor, though.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hitchiker's: The Movie doesn't have any. I've never seem something gut its source material so effectively... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

An interesting thing to say, when Douglas Adams wrote most of it himself before he died.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy has changed with every medium it's been presented in. There are more, but off the top of my head there was the radio presentation, then the novels, and now the movies. Each form was unique.

I've only read the first book, but the movie to me was satisfying in its own way.

Easily satisfied ---&gt; The Neeenja'

Ghengis_John
12-24-2005, 04:47 AM
Also, the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy I thought was hilarious. Most of the people on my home island don't really understand British humor, though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dude, I love british humor. But this just wasn't very funny. I liked the thanks for all the fish number but that's about it.

MagicMagician
12-24-2005, 03:39 PM
Read the book, its 50xs better.

My vote goes to Capote (sp?) one of the better films I have seen this year that very litte people paid attention to.

BitSeraph
12-24-2005, 03:55 PM
An interesting thing to say, when Douglas Adams wrote most of it himself before he died.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is that so? That only adds to my confusion as to how (in my mind) something could fall so foul of my expectations. Maybe it's a matter of personal taste, but it seemed as though all the truly funny lines (not to mention the true nuggets of genius, most of the guide entries) were systematically lobotomised from the script.

Neeenja-
12-24-2005, 08:34 PM
I dunno... what can I say?

I enjoyed it, some others obviously didn't... meh. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

I did think that towards the end of the movie the journal entries started tapering off. Maybe they'll have more on the DVD.

Forgot he needs to buy that **** thing ---&gt; The Neeenja'

Ghengis_John
12-25-2005, 05:30 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MagicMagician:
My vote goes to Capote (sp?) one of the better films I have seen this year that very litte people paid attention to. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I bet you the academy is paying attention.

MagicMagician
12-25-2005, 07:11 AM
Well of course but I ment it did not do to well in the box office.

Mikevolta
12-25-2005, 12:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ghengis_John:
My vote goes to Cinderella Man. I'm not a boxing fan, but I enjoyed it. Because I'm not a boxing fan, I'd never heard of the guy, and had no idea how it would turn out. Right up till the credits roll you're unsure what will happen, that doesn't happen too often in movies anymore. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Question, is it the same cinderella man who signed on to fight Joe Lewis in exchange for ten percent of lewis's profits for the rest of his life? In case the movie doesn't mention it he went eight rounds with Lewis, the best Schnelling could muster was 3. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess he did fight Joe Lewis, but not being a boxing fan I'm really not sure of the history around it. It's a good movie though.

Furious_Gopher
12-25-2005, 09:17 PM
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and The Island

MuttonChopYaz
12-26-2005, 06:11 AM
I finally got around to seeing Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and promptly ordered the dvd. So good.