PDA

View Full Version : demo impressions

Bendogg705
08-04-2005, 08:43 AM
Picked up the demo for this last night (from Waldenbooks in St. Louis, MO for anyone wondering). Played it for a little while. Game is different but still seems good. Graphics are not bad. HUD, and weapon access are much improved IMO. It's very easy to access all of your weapons or items.

Several problems exist though. Chiefly, the demo has a horrid framerate. Makes it very hard to evaluate the shooting and such. The framerate is that bad. If its like that in the final game, I will not play it. Also, there seems to be often a delay when you press the buttons. Very noticeable in the menus, which makes them very annoying to navigate. The grenades are way too easy to use with the line of impact shown before you throw them. Also, the rate of fire option is annoying because if you put it on single shot, you can't shoot as fast as you can pull the trigger. There's a very annoying delay between shots. I had the most success using the G36C, with the gun on full auto, but using burst fire at the heads of opponents.

Overall, the game seems to have potential, but the framerate is just so awful, it has me quite worried. Still, I played it for a bit last night, even though the only game mode was retrieval. I despised this mode on BA, but it was actually kind of fun to play it last night, problems and all.

Anyone else who played it have thoughts, or have any word on whether this horrid framerate will be fixed?

Bendogg705
08-04-2005, 08:43 AM
Picked up the demo for this last night (from Waldenbooks in St. Louis, MO for anyone wondering). Played it for a little while. Game is different but still seems good. Graphics are not bad. HUD, and weapon access are much improved IMO. It's very easy to access all of your weapons or items.

Several problems exist though. Chiefly, the demo has a horrid framerate. Makes it very hard to evaluate the shooting and such. The framerate is that bad. If its like that in the final game, I will not play it. Also, there seems to be often a delay when you press the buttons. Very noticeable in the menus, which makes them very annoying to navigate. The grenades are way too easy to use with the line of impact shown before you throw them. Also, the rate of fire option is annoying because if you put it on single shot, you can't shoot as fast as you can pull the trigger. There's a very annoying delay between shots. I had the most success using the G36C, with the gun on full auto, but using burst fire at the heads of opponents.

Overall, the game seems to have potential, but the framerate is just so awful, it has me quite worried. Still, I played it for a bit last night, even though the only game mode was retrieval. I despised this mode on BA, but it was actually kind of fun to play it last night, problems and all.

Anyone else who played it have thoughts, or have any word on whether this horrid framerate will be fixed?

Goliath.Ubi.Dev
08-04-2005, 09:48 AM
The demo is from a previous build before our latest optimization patch. The retail version will be much smoother.

stocko3000
08-04-2005, 09:51 AM
But will it keep the quality of the textures and such?

Bendogg705
08-04-2005, 10:41 AM
well that's good to hear. Thanks for the info.

NotoriouzWun
08-04-2005, 02:37 PM
Ahh Just as I thought previous build watson! I knew it could be that bad with the framerate hehe even BA wasn't that bad. I also felt the same qabout the menus. It was frustrating trying to create in PEC cause it went so slow.

NotoriouzWun
08-04-2005, 02:44 PM
btw Goliath could ya please tell me Grenades look better in the retail version. The whole sparkly confetti thing is kinda unappealing http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Goliath.Ubi.Dev
08-04-2005, 03:28 PM
Which Grenade in particular was bugging you? i don't recall any confetti dispensers in the game http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

NotoriouzWun
08-04-2005, 03:48 PM
The frags lol They seem a bit on the sensative male side of the game. For the not so manly man in you. Its like a sparkler parade in San Francisco when i toss one fo them.

Fuzzy_Bee
08-04-2005, 11:15 PM
Yes, I have to say agree.....if that is the final version frag gernade graphic, then you have taken a mighty step backwards from RB63 frag, which was a beautiful combination of graphic and sound effects.

The flashbang effect is definately more lifelike.....but come on now, that can't be the final version frag gernade.?!?! It looks like a confetti dispenser.

o WhoCares o
08-05-2005, 08:59 AM
i noticed that too with the Frag grenade. maybe it's because of the maps lighting that makes it look like that. In Lockdown the grenade sounds like your throwing an m80 and in black arrow your throwing a stick of dynamite. There's a big cloud of smoke after it explodes in BA and i don't recall seeing much smoke at all in Lockdown. Although the blast radious seemed the same on both

Ender.W
08-05-2005, 09:06 AM
I to thought that BA had better frag explosions than lockdown.. in lockdown they seem like firworks.. that explode really slow like. i hope in final version they look how they did in BA.. and also the smoke grenade looks kinda lame compared to the smoke grendade in BA. in BA it seemed like a cloud of smoke now it looks like a white wall that fades in.

great game though. just a little laggy in demo version.

Goliath.Ubi.Dev
08-05-2005, 09:30 AM
The thing with the smoke grenades is that you will find that you can actually use them for cover now. Let's be honest in Black Arrow it wasnt that useful compared to carrying extra frags. The new smokes in Lockdown can really let you hide in them and pick off people.

I use that alot when im playing.

Bendogg705
08-05-2005, 09:35 AM
My summary of changes, good and bad:

Good:

Better access to secondary weapons and items. I like this revamped system much more than the old system.

Seems like more guns will be effective now than in the old game. I really only ever used the M16 or Tar 21, and really, most people used one of about 4 or 5 guns and that was it.

Grenades are overall more lethal.

Graphics are improved.

Night vision effect is much better. It might actually be useful for something other than lighting up red team like flashlights.

Improved objective locators. Very easy now to find the cannister and the drop point.

The bad:

Grenade effects as mentioned by others are not as visually or aurally impressive.

Lag and low framerate (although this is probably a demo specific issue as pointed out by the devs).

Neutral:

Takes more shots to kill. This can be good and bad. I think overall, it will improve the game, as it will lessen the effectiveness of camping, and will make the objective games more fun. Although, I imagine people will figure out more effective ways to eliminate opponents rather quickly.

Ender.W
08-05-2005, 02:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Goliath.Ubi.Dev:
The thing with the smoke grenades is that you will find that you can actually use them for cover now. Let's be honest in Black Arrow it wasnt that useful compared to carrying extra frags. The new smokes in Lockdown can really let you hide in them and pick off people.

I use that alot when im playing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah ur right about them being more effective. i use them alot when trying to secure the canister in the demo. i guess they look alright.

cre8nhavoc
08-05-2005, 06:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Goliath.Ubi.Dev:

I use that alot when im playing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

Thank you Goliath

It felt like I HAD to use all 3 smokes for concealment when I wished it only took one. I'm so happy that you can now use one effectively.

I didn't notice if you can turn off thermals, is this a feature that's added for hosts just as before?